12 volt air compressor

What is the intended use?

I have a Ryobi cordless one I use a lot so I do not need to drag out air hose from compressor in garage. It also will shut off at a selected pressure and I like that.

But if you want to carry one in car then a 12V one is what is needed.

intended use is carry in vehicle

cordless would be nice, glad i thought of that
smile.gif

i will look at those, thanks D

I used mine again this weekend. 5 yr old. Works good. Bought another and it has 10 minutes on it, worked great. Plugged a flat, re-inflated in less than 10 minutes. No overheating on one tire. More than that it would need to cool. I would not do a semi tire at 100 PSI. It might get too hot. Great little compressor, much faster than the 10 dollar ones.

Rod

I have a Viair 400H in my trail Jeep. I've had it for years and it's been flawless.

Viair indicates it can inflate a 35" tire from 0-30psi in 5:20. My Jeep is a trailer queen now with 38x16's that only runs 3 PSI, but if I need air, it inflates them pretty quickly.

I got the next motor up from the one in your link for like $59 Plus the usual 20% discount. The motor/compressor rod has Ball bearings and a metal base-plate with rubber isolators so it doesn't dance around on the ground while running.

Viair 88P

I like this model specifically because it connects directly to the battery as opposed to relying on the 12V cigarette lighter.

It has excellent reviews on Amazon.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Viair 88P

I like this model specifically because it connects directly to the battery as opposed to relying on the 12V cigarette lighter.

You are limited to xx amps out of the cigarette lighter (fuse) vs clamps to battery post.

Originally Posted by CELICA_XX
Viair 88P

Ditto . It's a very stout compressor and it can pull more power.

I've had a few of those. I did modify them so they can connect directly to the battery. Otherwise they have a propensity to melt the 12V power outlet when inflating 4 tires. One died after getting driven over, the second died after inflating 3 sets of Jeep tires from 15 to 35 PSI and had a few years of hard use before that.

Right now I'm using this one: https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html , it's a few years old at this point but seems to work great. I hook it up to a manifold and inflate 4 tires at once. Gets hot, but I lube it every use. And it connects to the battery directly without modification.

I've got a Viair 88p and would recommend it. I like how it connects directly to the battery and the quality of the hose and the fittings. I throw it in the truck whenever I take a trip.

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
recomemdations for 12 volt air compressors?

any experience with this one:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-100-psi-high-volume-air-compressor-69284.html

I have this same HF Pittsburgh Compressor for my trunk/emergencies. It works well and does shut off at ~10 min to prevent overheating. And it almost filled a completely flat tire(225-70-15) but had to wait for the cool down.

I too have the Viair 88P and couldn't be happier. Bought it for my truck but fills car tires in no time flat.

Back