Akebono GG street performance pads back on

Originally Posted by bbhero
If you find a combination that works really well in your application... Then that is a very good deal...

And that could well be different brand than one may well expect at times.

Nothing wrong with that.

This. Since brake pads seem to have more flavors than ice cream it can be difficult to make many assumptions across platforms...

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
If you find a combination that works really well in your application... Then that is a very good deal...

Nothing wrong with that.

This. Since brake pads seem to have more flavors than ice cream it can be difficult to make many assumptions across platforms...

I had the same thoughts. It pretty much makes brake pad recommendation requests and advice useless. Akebono really seems to vary in both directions, excellent vs. mediocre.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Nothing wrong with that.

Thank you very much ^^^^^^^

This is what I think at the end of the day matters....

A lot of different applications and how things work is or can be very different platform to platform....

Find something that works very well for our individual application... = A good deal. And a safer vehicle too... Win win circumstance.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by edyvw
Well I got the really good Akebono street performance brake pads that are rated GG back on the front of my car again. Much less dust vs the AAP platinum FF rated brake pads before them. These Akebono pads I have ran before with a very high level of satisfaction and performance. These pads stop really well cold and hot. I got them for $59.99 after a 25 percent off deal from AAP. Well worth getting them again.

I did have to do a very hard stop after a beagle decided to run out in front of my car today on Rte 14 in King and Queen county. Cute dog. Thankfully I stopped in plenty of time. . Glad I had the new pads on the front of the car. My wife wanted to take the dog home... No can do. We have two cats that would not be impressed or pleased.

Akebono Euro line is also GG. It is absolute garbage that I would not recommend my enemy.
Akebono Euro line for BMW M3 is GG, and OE is FF. No one is using Akebono on the track. OE on other hand is already made as track suitable. And Akebono is cheaper, by $100 per axle.

Well I don't have no fancy Euro car
lol.gif

Do I have a legitimate answer for the "big" difference between my car vs a European vehicle??

Ahhh no. Just estimate guesses...

Don't truly know why there's such a difference... Maybe... Those Euro pads that are supposedly Akebono are not really made by them... Aka out sourced... Or... Maybe they are truly made by Akebono and they are just poorly manufactured and or use poor quality products/metallurgy in those particular brake pads...

My car has done far, far better with these Akebono street performance GG brake pads...

The AutoZone GT brake pads were some what close to as good as these Akebono street performance brake pads in the beginning of using them. More time miles on them and the gt pads were ok but not as good over time.

Again...

Nothing wrong with that.

Akebono Euro is made by Akebono. It is great seller, and very smart move on AK to provide dustless operation. It sells like crazy.
But talking about performance, they are far behind.
Now, in your application AK might be improvement, but AK is OE for my Sienna, and I got rid of it and put EBC. Excellent improvement.

Well for me.... Way better than OE... And better than AZ gt brake pads and AAP FF platinum brake pads.

I have run the brakes on my car quite hard at times... Going from high speed to much lower speed... And the Akebono street performance brake pads do very good.

Again.. . It likely is a application vs application difference.

I don't believe in a one size fits all situation...

If you find some combination that works really well in your application... Then that is what matters. And that is a very good thing. Better performance for your particular application and a safer vehicle... And a happier driver... A win win win deal there.

Well for me.... Way better than OE... And better than AZ gt brake pads and AAP FF platinum brake pads.

I have run the brakes on my car quite hard at times... Going from high speed to much lower speed... And the Akebono street performance brake pads do very good.

Again.. . It likely is a application vs application difference.

I don't believe in a one size fits all situation...

If you find some combination that works really well in your application... Then that is what matters. And that is a very good thing. Better performance for your particular application and a safer vehicle... And a happier driver... A win win win deal there.

Take into consideration that I am not saying Akebono is bad, low quality manufacturer. Akobono is supplier to Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Formula1 team. They ain't amateurs. They made a decision to offer certain type of pads for certain audience. Their bet for Euro cars in dustless pad, and it sells like crazy. Performance wise, they are garbage. But not bcs. they are not capable to make it more performance oriented. Unfortunately, on Sienna they are also pretty mediocre.

Last edited:
Well I got the really good Akebono street performance brake pads that are rated GG back on the front of my car again. Much less dust vs the AAP platinum FF rated brake pads before them. These Akebono pads I have ran before with a very high level of satisfaction and performance. These pads stop really well cold and hot. I got them for $59.99 after a 25 percent off deal from AAP. Well worth getting them again.

I did have to do a very hard stop after a beagle decided to run out in front of my car today on Rte 14 in King and Queen county. Cute dog. Thankfully I stopped in plenty of time. . Glad I had the new pads on the front of the car. My wife wanted to take the dog home... No can do. We have two cats that would not be impressed or pleased.
Are you still running these?

Back