Environmentally friendly gas can rant

I inserted the snout, landed the "hook" on the filler neck and I could see the Toro's gas tank flex on it's mounts. That'll break the tank's mounting tabs someday.

They put a spring in there suitable for a rear shock on a motorbike.

Originally Posted by Lou_Boyle
Yeah, most annoying and unsafe thing ever perpetuated in the name of environmentalism. If you happen to forget to vent it before using on a hot day, prepare to get a gasoline shower. I'm actually surprised there haven't been so many accidents that they were pulled from the market. First time my mower and I got sprayed it scared the 0W-8 out of me. My son found these for his work when they were running a lot of pressure washers and generators. Expensive at $49.00 but worth every single penny.
[Linked Image]

"scared the 0W-8 out of me." Yeah, I'm going to use that.

Originally Posted by E365
I'll second the SureCan posted above. Far better than a old can and funnel in my opinion. I love mine.

[Linked Image]

——————————

The government just mandated the characteristics a can had to have. It was hack engineers in the private industry that designed garbage like this style below.

[Linked Image]

I'd hate to see what the people who wrote the regulations would come up with...

Dood ...seriously ...you need to push the black plastic "Button" latch. Then without gas spilling everywhere put the spout on the edge of the tank and use the weight of the can to depress the nozzle to open the gas flow. I used to absolutely HATE THESE THINGS! Until I used them and found they do not leak or spill if used correctly. Another added benefit is that as the fuel flows into the tank the fumes get pulled into the can for a Win-Win. And because the valve pushes into the gas can any positive pressure inside makes them absolutely seal so the gas inside will stay fresh much longer.

When i look at that "Sure Can" I see a spout that comes out of the bottom of the can! To me this tempts fate if it develops a leak its gonna get a nice bunch of fumes going for an accident. A spout on top or safety can is as far as ill go.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I found an Eagle gas can (metal) on side of road left by landscapers. This one>>> https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-20-...+can+eagle&qid=1590512548&sr=8-3

I bought more and worth the $40/can. You can't go cheap on gas cans with safety measures as noted don't work.

I've picked up so many old school plastic ones off the side of the roads that I've been weeding out the oldest ones!

I imagine there are youtube videos demonstrating that some of those spout designs can be modified to get rid of the valve with nothing more than a pair of pliers to rip the guts out, then some silicone caulking to set the tube sealed in place. Do wash the tubes in hot/strong detergent solution first so the silicone adheres well. Did that years ago to mine, never regretted it.

Last edited:
Not sure what brand OP has but I have a BLITZ and it works well. I prefer this design compared to the old style as there is no spillage.

Originally Posted by FT92
I agree these new gas cans are a pain to say the least...I found two good old metal cans at a yard sale ...pitched the new plastic eco friendly ones

My dad gave me two old Jerry cans he had. Still has I think 5 in his attic above his garage. They work fine

I've spilled more gas using a poorly made environmentally friendly gas can. The spec these things to minimise spills and emissions then let them be made like junk.

Back