Durago brand brakes Rockauto

Has anyone here ever seen or installed this brand? I have a vehicle which is only driven when one of the others is down. That car needs rotors and pads. Since it is barely driven it will sit for many, many months outside in the elements. Don't want to put expensive parts on it just to watch them rust. Is Durago a reasonable company or total garbage?

Get coated rotors. They are awesome
smile.gif

I haven't used Durago's rotors, but their coated rotors are probably ok. I have experience with Wagner, Centric, and Power Stop coated rotors, and all hold up for a reasonable amount of time.

I would suggest driving the car for one day a month. I would not let it sit until primary car needs work.

You have gas, battery, mice and more to consider. Once a month will help. Once a week in mouse looking for a home season.

I have used Durago coated rotors and they seem to be pretty good.
I would make a point to drive the car once a week to scrub the rust off the rotors.

Originally Posted by Turbo
Has anyone here ever seen or installed this brand? I have a vehicle which is only driven when one of the others is down. That car needs rotors and pads. Since it is barely driven it will sit for many, many months outside in the elements. Don't want to put expensive parts on it just to watch them rust. Is Durago a reasonable company or total garbage?

Coated is the bomb and I look forward to switching my SUV over to them, last of my "fleet" I have not switched. Unfortunately at my current usage, that will be seven to 10 years...

RA has awesome pad deals. I bought Ceramic Wagner front brakes for above said SUV last week for - gasp - $6.50 for the axle. Look hard at their pad options and you can find amazing deals, and rotors can be shipped pretty cheaply, too.

I have used the rotors on several vehicles with good success especially for theri price. They lasted as long(or not) as any other brand that I've used.

When I've been looking for rotors I've seen them as a choice on RA, been curious them myself and looked at their detail description. Sometimes they are a heart, most popular choice. Generally they seem to be one of the lower cost choices. I would imagine like most rotors now, even well known name brands they have a China coo. Don't know about their pads, I'd lean more to a name I know on those.

As noted if rust a major consideration, may want to go with a coated rotor of some sort, there's lower cost options that might fit the bill. I went with Raybestos RPT/now Element 3 last year, I still satisfied with results. As mentioned, driving the vehicle occasionally good advice to remove the rotor surface rust.

Never heard of Durango brand. Probably made by Callahan auto parts in Sandusky, OH.

I typically stay with Raybestos from RA. I'll pay a few bucks more for brand name brake pads and rotors, just peace of mind for me.

I've had numerous Made in US and Made in Canada Motorcraft and Raybestos rotors completely rust out after 1 or 2 winters in SE Michigan, same with Raybestos/BPI pads that got the friction material rust jacked That was back when rotors were sometimes made here. I'm not sure I'd trust Raybestos/BPI at this point.

I have a set of their coated rotors with Akebono pads on one of our cars. Had them for about 3 years or so. They have held up quite well, especially since we live in Canada. The car is also parked outside 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by metroplex
I've had numerous Made in US and Made in Canada Motorcraft and Raybestos rotors completely rust out after 1 or 2 winters in SE Michigan, same with Raybestos/BPI pads that got the friction material rust jacked That was back when rotors were sometimes made here. I'm not sure I'd trust Raybestos/BPI at this point.

It has been awhile since you could get aftermarket rotors made in the US or Canada, so they definitely weren't coated. The coating is a relatively recent trend. Centric started offering theirs around 2008, and most other companies only started selling coated rotors a few years ago

Non-coated rotors will rust overnight or sometimes even within a few hours, regardless of country of origin. It starts as soon as you wipe off the Cosmoline that stopped it from rusting on the shelf. Coated rotors do work! The coating doesn't last forever, but they do last at least a year before the rust becomes visible, and you can get the wheels off with no problem, and the coated rotors don't freeze to the hub.

A coated Chinese rotor will last longer than a non-coated US rotor
smile.gif

Back