Calling Prius Owners

I have the start/stop feature in my 2016 Cherokee. I was told this system will cause premature failure on some parts. The Prius has had this
feature for many years. Any info on this feature will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and stay safe

The Prius has a totally different starter*, which provides the stop/start.

So, it's not applicable to your Cherokee, which has a conventional starter.

I would ask 2016 Jeep owners about their experience with stop/start.

*Prius uses the electric drive motor to start the engine. It's several times more powerful than a starter motor and it's connected directly to the crankshaft. No starter drive.

Your worry isn't necessary.

The components in question on any such vehicle are much more reliable today than the junk starters and alternators installed on new GM vehicles of yesteryear.
My dad bought new S10's and a Camaro when I was growing up.
It seemed like they were guaranteed to fail after the warranty was up and before you hit 100K miles.
The parts stores back in the 90's always had one customer at the counter there to get a new starter or alternator for his GM vehicle it seemed.

Why no matter what a thread starts out with we have to have GM bashing that has jack to do with the subject vehicle

You are like misguided children …

The Prius doesn't have a starter motor, is uses the large drive motor instead. Electric motors are very reliable and it's more the engagement mechanism that gets wear. These new cars use the motor only for a second. They design the system for long term use.What I really don't like is some have a second starter battery, and then there is the question of ac and heat during shut off. The Prius and those like it retain ac as it is electric. I think heat too up to a point.
GM, Delco Remy, starters, batteries etc were among the best back in the day. No problem there.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Why no matter what a thread starts out with we have to have GM bashing that has jack to do with the subject vehicle

Yeah sort of off topic but he isn't lying about GM starters and alternators.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by czbrian
Originally Posted by 4WD

It doesn't have to be always called lying. People form opinions sometimes on misinformation or anecdotal evidence. Doesn't mean they are lying which has a totally different meaning.
My experience and history says Delco was probably one of the best or regarded so.

What I should have said is that starters today are better than they use to, especially when it comes to GM vehicles. I myself would have no worries about the related start-stop components wearing out faster regardless of the vehicle maker.
What would be interesting is to see if the non start-stop vehicle has the same starter of the model year that has it. I doubt they do. Like an F150 or Silverado 1500.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
Originally Posted by czbrian
Originally Posted by 4WD

It doesn't have to be always called lying. People form opinions sometimes on misinformation or anecdotal evidence. Doesn't mean they are lying which has a totally different meaning.
My experience and history says Delco was probably one of the best or regarded so.
Delco was so good it was used in lots of other mfr.'s applications-the 28MT starter is a good example. These days, it's the Japanese ones that seem to get all the love.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
The Prius doesn't have a starter motor, is uses the large drive motor instead. Electric motors are very reliable and it's more the engagement mechanism that gets wear. ...
That's kinda true, but omits a couple of critical details. The motor that starts the engine is the smaller of TWO "large drive motors," the one connected to the sun gear, not the one geared at a fixed ratio to the wheels. There is no starter "engagement mechanism," in a Prius, which is the reason there's (as you imply) no wear of it.

None of which has anything to do with the totally different start-stop system in a Cherokee.

Last edited:
The Prius(or any Toyota hybrid) use one of the two motor/generators to spin up the gas engine. Ford's hybrids work the same. The older Honda IMA system as well as GM's BAS system spin up the gas engine with the integrated starrter-generator.

The new start-stop system on non-hybrid cars is quite different - 12V system but the starter is a PMGR type with a AGM battery(and adaptive charging) and there's a stored pressure or electric pump in the transmission to quickly build pressure for engagement.

Back