Environmentally friendly gas can rant

Designed for safety and to eliminate hydrocarbon evaporation pollution, you go and try to fill your lawnmower while depressing the black lock and pushing the spout down then when you manage to do it gas sprays on the lawnmower, on the garage floor, and on your hands and feet.... ... ... ...

Screenshot_2020-05-26-00-58-22-572.jpg

Have you tried placing the black part against the fill hole of the mower and letting the weight of the can and fuel hold it open?

I agree these new gas cans are a pain to say the least...I found two good old metal cans at a yard sale ...pitched the new plastic eco friendly ones

Yeah, most annoying and unsafe thing ever perpetuated in the name of environmentalism. If you happen to forget to vent it before using on a hot day, prepare to get a gasoline shower. I'm actually surprised there haven't been so many accidents that they were pulled from the market. First time my mower and I got sprayed it scared the 0W-8 out of me. My son found these for his work when they were running a lot of pressure washers and generators. Expensive at $49.00 but worth every single penny.
[Linked Image]

The new one I have works better than any of the older style cans I have. You can actually meter the gas to a trickle with the button on the handle. If you are lazy just stick the spout in the fill hole, push the button for full blast and it shuts itself off when the tank is full and back pressures the spout. Of course the3 gallon can cost $50+.....you cheapskates need to step up to the 21st century.

Yeah … our farm & ranch has those VP's for $29 … the look alike they sell at Buc-ees seems just as good … think my mix of those two is 5 now … twice I bought the can and then filled with E0

I'm starting to like 'em. My needs are pretty slight though, and NH isn't quite as hot as the rest of the country. But a sealed gas container ought to spoil the gas more slowly than one that can outgas more easily.

I have an older ventless single gallon one (with no "push to flow" thing on the spout) which works ok. The bigger 5 gallon one I just fill halfway most of the time as 5 gallons is too much weight for me to aim easily into a small mower. When it's not full of gas I can either hit the fill on the tank and keep it open, or at times I've held the release open. [And of course, as it wears it's gotten sticky so sometimes it just gets stuck open.]

Years ago I "fixed" some ventless diesel containers by zipping in a couple of 3/8's lags to make impromptu vents. Worked well. I don't need to do that to my gas tanks, but I'll point that out in case anyone else wants to fix theirs.

The big mouth cans seal great … but it takes intermediate steps … I keep a gallon pitcher and a couple funnels in a clear plastic bag … that yellow funnel on the red can would have to come off where I store gas (dusty shed) …
I'm happy with that … good volume sealed and finesse when topping up the tanks …

Those supposed safety cans are nothing but a virtue signaling menace. All mine are 🤗VENTED with none of that expensive nonsensical wizardry. The most I ever paid for a can was $12 and a couple of mine are 20 YO and still going strong. You don't even need a course on how to use them either.

The can in the OP is one of the worst designs. First off it's a 5 gallon can with no side or bottom handle, so it's unwieldly to handle in the best case. (It's better if you put only about 3 gallons of gas in it, but who's going to do that?) This sort of can should be considered for bulk storage not for filling mowers. The slide spout is easier to control if you take off the child-resistant latch. But then it will pour any time the spout is pushed down, for example if it tips over in the trunk of the car on the way from the gas station. (You're supposed to put the spout on backwards for transport, so it sticks down inside the can, but like only filling 3 gallons that is something no one will actually do).

The ones with a pushbutton valve on the back of the spout can precisely fill mowers and small engines. Though that spout is not good for pouring into cars and trucks.

Last edited:
A plastic "twist the collar to allow the snout to be pushed in by the filler neck on the OPE" gas can appeared in our garage.

I inserted the snout, landed the "hook" on the filler neck and I could see the Toro's gas tank flex on it's mounts. That'll break the tank's mounting tabs someday.

I swear I found a "domed top" 2.5 gal. Eagle gas can in the street. Dented and full of fuel it had to have fallen off a lawn service truck or trailer.
I gave it to my pal and he's still using it.
I wish I kept it.

I'll second the SureCan posted above. Far better than a old can and funnel in my opinion. I love mine.

[Linked Image]

——————————

The government just mandated the characteristics a can had to have. It was hack engineers in the private industry that designed garbage like this style below.

[Linked Image]

Back