Left Hand Drillbits

Finally got around to buying a set of left hand drill bits, handy to start drilling out a bolt and in hope it comes free, or as a way to start a hole for an Easy Out tool. Funny there were no markings on the case to indicate they were left hand. Might make a good gag gift for someone you know.
laugh.gif

Amazon.com. Left hand drill bits.

4329DF15-DA20-4A56-B296-EF474FA387E2.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess people these days don't sharpen drills by hand, but sharpening a left hand drill requires some serious thought processes, and that's not enough to overcome years of sharpening right hand drill bits.

Originally Posted by Silk
I guess people these days don't sharpen drills by hand, but sharpening a left hand drill requires some serious thought processes, and that's not enough to overcome years of sharpening right hand drill bits.

So true! However, a DIY sharpening job on a LH drill bit can be ground (sharp and different angle) for aggressive bite. This helps a lot with stuck bolt removal.

That's a great start, I have a set like that, that has gotten me out of several jams. Since then, I've added stubby cobalt LH bits, and a right angle air drill with a Jacobs keyed chuck.

As for the hand tightening chucks, it CAN work... at least for a minute or two at a time... as long as the chuck is fresh, and NOTHING touches it while you use it.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Finally got around to buying a set of left hand drill bits, handy to start drilling out a bolt and in hope it comes free, or as a way to start a hole for an Easy Out tool. Funny there were no markings on the case to indicate they were left hand. Might make a good gag gift for someone you know.
laugh.gif

Amazon.com. Left hand drill bits.

Stating the obvious but unless you have a direct drive drill press with reverse its a hand held drill bit only.

Back