Slow drivers in fast (left) lane on freeway

After driving in New Jersey my whole life I'm not surprised by this troopers behavior at all. Seen it too many times. I'm not defending the left lane loafers behavior but the prolonged and dangerous tail gating is not commendable. NJT troopers never blend in with traffic to possibly observe motorists driving poorly. It's always hammer down, left lane only, blowing people over to the right. I don't fight battles I can't win, but there's a lot of bullies wearing badges out there.

On the DC beltway they do it all the time. 45 in the left lane of 8 lane divided beltway. They most always were foreigners. I figured they stayed in the left lane to follow the solid line and wall because they didn't really know how to drive. It's dangerous when traffic is moving at 70-75 mph.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
After driving in New Jersey my whole life I'm not surprised by this troopers behavior at all. Seen it too many times. I'm not defending the left lane loafers behavior but the prolonged and dangerous tail gating is not commendable. NJT troopers never blend in with traffic to possibly observe motorists driving poorly. It's always hammer down, left lane only, blowing people over to the right. I don't fight battles I can't win, but there's a lot of bullies wearing badges out there.

State trooper should of pulled the person over and issue a ticket.

The civic driver was too oblivious to notice the state trooper in the rear view mirror.

I have been pulled over in Princeton NJ for passing on the right, just a warning though

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat

The civic driver was too oblivious to notice the state trooper in the rear view mirror.

For breaking which law? And turning the lights on and chasing a car when there is no legal basis or intention to write a ticket should be written up.

A police car with the emergency lights off has the same legal rights and obligations in traffic as any other car. Pragmatically, yes it's highly advisable to stay out of its way.

The car in the left lane was going fast enough to actively pass traffic in the second to the left lane. Is the standard now that you have to be going faster than the car behind you at all times?

Camera guy's passenger was concerned that he was speeding up and passing cars on the right to keep filming.

Last edited:
That part of that highway looks like interstate 287 in Northwest NJ...

I'm glad the trooper did that... Though I do agree with others that the tailgating was not good on the trooper's part.

Last edited:
The car in the left lane was going fast enough to actively pass traffic in the second to the left lane.

Everyone slows down in the presence of law enforcement, especially when a situation is unfolding such as is the case here.

Originally Posted by mk378

For breaking which law? And turning the lights on and chasing a car when there is no legal basis or intention to write a ticket should be written up.

A police car with the emergency lights off has the same legal rights and obligations in traffic as any other car. Pragmatically, yes it's highly advisable to stay out of its way.

The car in the left lane was going fast enough to actively pass traffic in the second to the left lane. Is the standard now that you have to be going faster than the car behind you at all times?

Camera guy's passenger was concerned that he was speeding up and passing cars on the right to keep filming.

NJ Statute Section 39:4-88

Most of the states have a "Keep right, pass left law".

Driving slow in the left lane is acceptable you're taking a left lane exit, which there isn't too many of those in NJ

Originally Posted by mk378

In my home State the Civic driver could be ticketed for failing to yield the right of way. Most States have keep-right-except-to-pass laws.

Keep Right laws by State

Law in Colorado too I believe. Slower traffic stay right.
I think it's sentiment is to curb the dangers of road rage. Lazy oblivious drivers are a pain. The controllers who want to play mind games and provoke others sometimes find a contest.
In the early 1990's some of that played out on the side of the road as gun battle.
I remember a case where the party killed was the aggressor or open fire first. Things quieted down for a while.

I've been good about staying right because I've treated driving as a profession and I see or recognize others who like to play by the rules. There is a bit of pride in good behavior, respect and being (somewhat) forgiving but I wasn't always this way.
smirk2.gif

I can drive with some urgency at times but I'll advance beyond others then move right as soon as safe and reasonable. I'm one who feels the left lane drivers help shield others from provoking attn. by LEO. Whether that's even partly correct, I don't know. Drivers wildly passing others or hanging out in that left lane over the speed limit would definitely be easy pickings though.
Let them have it, I say.

The only real 'fun' I have semi-regularly is I'm often turning right then needing to move over a lane and turn left quite soon like the next block up. In doing so, I'm very deliberate about turning into the first lane of traffic, using my signal then moving over to the other lane as I approach the street I'll turn left on. In almost every case, the car trailing me from the light or stop I turned right at turns wide with no signaling and probably assumes I'm one of those left lane bandits. I'm sure they see me use my left signal though and realize;
A) I had reason to be in that lane and
B) I used my turn signals and followed the lane protocol

Turning right away, I likely don't even get to the speed limit, then I'm slowing to turn. I've yet to see and credible angst or threats but I'm aware of the potential. Driving the speed limit makes others nearly insane. I try to help them out by driving about 5 to 8 over.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Kentucky used to have a toll-free number you could call to report a suspected DUI; a friend in the Kentucky State Police told me that about 80% of the time they'd find the car that had been reported turned out to be a Park Avenue or similar- piloted by Paw Paw Percy and dawdling in the left lane.

Seems tempting to call in that way but I'd be afraid of false reporting. I've called in aggressive driving but not sure it matters. Called in suspected or 'legit' DUI a few times over the years.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
An entertaining thread. I don't condone haphazard driving like everyone else here.

"everyone else here" ??

YES, entertaining
grin2.gif

Last edited:
This all depends on the region. Out west we still have stretches of freeway with just two lanes. It's fairly common once you get clear of the metro areas. The following scenario is very common.

Trucks usually stay in the right lane since their speed is lower. I'll drive in the right lane at speed limit. Coming up on a truck I'll check my surroundings and if clear move into the left lane for passing. Sometimes a very fast car will come up while I'm passing and they get upset. I'm not in a safe position to move back to the right lane.

Two things happen, the fast car rides my tail until I'm clear of the truck and I move to the right. The other is that the fast car is impatient and moves over to the right to pass me. That usually means cutting off the truck. Another scenario is that the fast car moves to the right at the exact moment when I signal to move right as well. This usually involves a bit of swerving as the impatient driver feels he or she has been infringed on their right to speed.

Driving requires patience. Those that drive at high speeds like they own the road are in a big hurry to go nowhere.

I feel much the same as everyone. With that said, it is true, technically if they are doing the speed limit they are not doing anything wrong unless your state has a left lane is for passing law.

Originally Posted by Hermann
The OP is really not a patient person.
grin.gif

There is a difference between having patience (like getting stuck behind a slow driver on a country road), and disobeying the rules of the road to where it puts others at risk. Left lane campers ARE a safety risk, as much as they will argue they are not. Them camping out in the left lane causes people in a hurry to pass on the right, weave in and out of traffic to get around them, and even pass on the shoulder. The left lane camper's ignorance is putting everyone else around them in danger.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Hermann
The OP is really not a patient person.
grin.gif

There is a difference between having patience (like getting stuck behind a slow driver on a country road), and disobeying the rules of the road to where it puts others at risk. Left lane campers ARE a safety risk, as much as they will argue they are not. Them camping out in the left lane causes people in a hurry to pass on the right, weave in and out of traffic to get around them, and even pass on the shoulder. The left lane camper's ignorance is putting everyone else around them in danger.

Yes, this. It's not too much to ask that you drive in the lane that most represents the speed you wish to travel. I'll never say something about someone "camping out" in the right lane.

Thankfully, the highways are 4 lanes wide around me. Lane speeds range from 60-85, so you can find a lane that matches your preferred speed easily. Not doing so may cause problems......

Here is my philosophy on this. I only use the left lane for passing, period. I have no issue whatsoever moving over for faster traffic. If we are both speeding I would much rather have the "maniac" in front of me than behind me. Pretty simple, really. People don't put much thought or attention into driving these days - maybe they never did.

Common courtesy dictates moving over for those who wish to travel faster. I believe that this was even in the DMV manual, 40-ish years ago when I first got my license. Maybe it was just a kinder time when folks had common courtesy, let alone common sense.
21.gif

There are multiple issues at play with roadway idiots:

1 - Incapable of cognitive thought.
2 - Incapable of operating a motorized vehicle.
3 - Self-absorbed
4 - Ignorant of the rules of the road
5 - Devoid of courtesy, common or otherwise.

I'm sure y'all can come up with many more of your own.

Trying, to an extent, to combat this issue, automakers are making "smarter" cars, which IMHO, only makes the problem worse, because these idiot already can't operate a vehicle so they rely on the technology to do it for them (sleeping while behind the wheel in self driving cars).

Originally Posted by alarmguy
I feel much the same as everyone. With that said, it is true, technically if they are doing the speed limit they are not doing anything wrong unless your state has a left lane is for passing law.

I am not sure that there are any states that don't say that you're supposed to keep right unless you're passing. Let me know if you can list any.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by alarmguy

I am not sure that there are any states that don't say that you're supposed to keep right unless you're passing. Let me know if you can list any.

Okay!

https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Back