logic behind no trans dipstick?

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
My understanding is that one of the big things that degrades fluids is exposure to air, and the very small amount of moisture that condenses out of the air and into the fluid. Over time that can add up to a lot of oxidation and moisture. When you have a dip-stick every time you go up or down a mountain, or the barometric pressure changes a small amount of air moves in or out of the air space above the fluid in your trany. When it moves in it carries new oxygen and water molecules (moisture). Some of that interacts. A sealed system does not have the fluid degrade anywhere near as fast. I have seen some engineering specifications for some fluids and there useful life that specified different life expectancy for use in sealed and unsealed systems.

Only this is NOT a sealed system, there is a vent hole to allow for expulsion of air during fluid expansion, so once the fluid constricts (cooling) air is sucked in. If for sealed you mean sealed from the owner, then that it is.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
The logic: transmission last the warranty period. Transmission then dies, you get a huge repair estimate, you buy another vehicle.

Example of rampant lack of research on this site.

Originally Posted by flinter
Any here know that is nonsense.
Automakers don't design their vehicles (or the fluids used) for people here.

Originally Posted by flinter
And how would you even know if the service for a drain and refill or a flush was ever really dont since you can not confirm it WITHOUT a dipstick to check??
Haha ! You do it yourself. That's how you know it was done and done "right".

I don't even personally know anyone besides myself that gets their transmission serviced on a regular basis. My guess is that sealing it doesn't matter to the overwhelming majority of people, it encourages the Jiffy Lube type places to leave it alone, and it discourages DIY which may have an impact on warranty claims caused by improper fluids, procedures, etc.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Yes, it's a PITA and worth complaining about. But that will not stop the excellent maintainers on this site... We know- ... and we can do!

I'm one of those "excellent maintainers" that you spoke of. I have serviced the "dipstick less", "sealed" transmissions on three of our cars with no difficulties whatsoever. Our 2006 MB C230 and our 2016 VW Passat have "stand pipes" that determine the proper level. Our E90 BMW has a simple fill plug. You do need the proper adapters to fill some transmissions (the MB and VW), and you need to check levels at operating temperature after running it through the gears, etc., but it's not rocket science. I change automatic transmission fluids and/or filter about every 20K miles or so. You'd be surprised how dark the fluid was on the first drains on the MB and BMW. Well worth it based on that alone, IMO.

Two quick pics of the E90's fluid/filter change I did about two weeks ago. That's 93K mile old transmission, and the fluid had approximately 25K miles on it.

Scott

IMG_3376.jpeg

IMG_3377.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
The logic: transmission last the warranty period. Transmission then dies, you get a huge repair estimate, you buy another vehicle.

Or:

Inept mechanics kill transmissions. Protect transmission from ineptitude by sealing it.

That is a good point Astro ^^^^^^^

And people or mechanics using a incorrect transmission fluid is also a big issue as well I'd bet.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Yes, it's a PITA and worth complaining about. But that will not stop the excellent maintainers on this site... We know- ... and we can do!

I'm one of those "excellent maintainers" that you spoke of. I have serviced the "dipstick less", "sealed" transmissions on three of our cars with no difficulties whatsoever. Our 2006 MB C230 and our 2016 VW Passat have "stand pipes" that determine the proper level. Our E90 BMW has a simple fill plug. It's not rocket science. I change automatic transmission fluids and/or filter about every 20K miles or so. You'd be surprised how dark the fluid was on the first drains on the MB and BMW. Well worth it based on that alone, IMO.

Two quick pics of the E90's fluid/filter change I did about two weeks ago. That's 93K mile old transmission, and the fluid had right at 25K miles on it.

Scott

That should partially mollify the Luddite contingent.
lol.gif

I need to order a ZF pan/fluid kit to service the 8HP in my F22; the FCP Euro kit is cheap enough at just $208.

It's called "no logic". I find having no dipstick,drain plug,and fill tube to be completely asinine.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The transmission can be filled as part of the transmission build and test process to compensate for the volume of oil in the vehicle external lines and cooler. It uses quick connect fittings that retain the oil in the transmission during shipping.

Given this, servicing the transmission should be easy.
Simply drain the fluid cold and replace same.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
It's called "no logic". I find having no dipstick,drain plug,and fill tube to be completely asinine.

Most of the time I'd agree with you. But I'm reminded that most manual transmissions and perhaps all diffs lack a dipstick.

Also, so far, I don't think there has been an auto transmission that doesn't have a procedure for how to drain and refill? So all of these evil "sealed" transmissions so far do have drain plugs (or at least a means to change). They're not what I'd want, but they are kinda in the "all cars have some repair that has to be complicated in a needless manner" that has to be put up with.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by nascarnation
The transmission can be filled as part of the transmission build and test process to compensate for the volume of oil in the vehicle external lines and cooler. It uses quick connect fittings that retain the oil in the transmission during shipping.

Given this, servicing the transmission should be easy.
Simply drain the fluid cold and replace same.

That I would think is the way to do it ^^^^^

Yes I have sinned by speaking corporate blasphemy.

No you have failed to prepare yourself along with forming a opinion and posted a topic on here hoping to find confirmation bias.

the logic is easy,

you don't change or check the "lifetime fluid" you change the fluid and the transmission as one unit for a cost of 5-8 thousand dollars

makes much more sense to a dealership instead of charging you $300 for a filter and fluid change

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Most of the time I'd agree with you. But I'm reminded that most manual transmissions and perhaps all diffs lack a dipstick.

They lack a dipstick but they definitely have a way to check the level.

No Automatic transmission dipstick? The sky is falling.

My manual transmissions, don't have a dipstick either, so do I take the mechanic's word that they changed the gear oil?

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
No Automatic transmission dipstick? The sky is falling.

My manual transmissions, don't have a dipstick either, so do I take the mechanic's word that they changed the gear oil?

No, by the logic in this thread, you trade the car in for a car with an automatic transmission and a dipstick.

The logic, pretty simple imo, some people will feel they have to take the vehicle back to the dealer to check the level and/or to have the unit serviced. That check won't be free, and it gives the dealership a shot at selling service, and parts. The automaker makes a little more money on each vehicle they make by leaving out the dipstick. Win win for the dealer and the automaker.

Back