FJ cruiser knock sensors

Our FJ threw a p0333 code. It is a problem with a knock sensor. Labor to replace it is 20+ hrs which includes removing the cylinder heads!

I saw a video where a guy was hacking stuff up with a sawzall to do this job faster. anybody familiar with this terrible engine design?

The car is currantly in limp mode and unsafe to drive.

I had a 92 v6 3 litre truck and the knock sensor was under the intake manifold

I just looked it up real quick, and apparently it's usually from animals chewing up the wires
crazy2.gif

Would it be possible for you to relocate the knock sensor? I have heard of people doing this on some cars

Most likely mice or rats chewing the wires right at the knock sensors. They are in a difficult spot under the intake plenum. But if you have someone with small hands, and it is indeed chewed wires, you can get the old connector off the knock sensor, solder on a new connector, re-connect it, and likely be good to go.

Originally Posted by 02SE
Most likely mice or rats chewing the wires right at the knock sensors. They are in a difficult spot under the intake plenum. But if you have someone with small hands, and it is indeed chewed wires, you can get the old connector off the knock sensor, solder on a new connector, re-connect it, and likely be good to go.

Ya we went camping friday night.

If it turns out to be the sensor(s) themselves, you can get those out (once the intake plenum is removed) with a slim 13mm (IIRC) box-end wrench and some ingenuity. But most likely rodents crawling up there to enjoy the residual heat radiating from the block overnight, and chewing on the tasty insulation on the wires right there.

I hate rodents.
39.gif

If it turns out to be the sensor(s) themselves, you can get those out (once the intake plenum is removed) with a slim 13mm (IIRC) box-end wrench and some ingenuity. But most likely rodents crawling up there to enjoy the residual heat radiating from the block overnight, and chewing on the tasty insulation on the wires right there.

I hate rodents.
39.gif

Can I block the entrance? Foil?

Not really, they can get there from numerous points. Of course you need to confirm that it is chewed wires first. There are products available that claim to deter them. Such as Peppermint oil sprays. Moth balls has supposedly worked for some.

It probably wouldn't hurt to wrap the wires in foil as a possible deterrent, but the trick would be getting hands in there to wrap them.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, I'm thinking it was a ratcheting wrench, and the sensor bolt is 12mm. That makes more sense as Toyota rarely uses an oddball size like a 13mm.

Not really, they can get there from numerous points. Of course you need to confirm that it is chewed wires first. There are products available that claim to deter them. Such as Peppermint oil sprays. Moth balls has supposedly worked for some.

It probably wouldn't hurt to wrap the wires in foil as a possible deterrent, but the trick would be getting hands in there to wrap them.

I have watched videos where Eric O. wrapped with with a Rodent tape , containing Capsaicin , made by Honda , to repel rodents .

My friend and I got it done. Removed the intake then were able to pull the wires up and crimp the replacement onto the existing wires. It's tight and there is no way to replace those sensors without getting those pipes out or the heads off.

Very poor design.

Glad you got it done. I assume the wires were indeed chewed on by rodents.

It is possible to get the sensors out and in with the pipes in place, but as I said it is tricky, and a bit tedious, with some makeshift tools.

Back