Oil change problems

So today I go to change the oil in my sons 2007 Pontiac Vibe. I picked up this car a year back, it had previously been maintained at a local indepentent garage. I get my tools and a carpet I use to lay on. First the oil filter. Very, very tight. I try a couple times, then try my filter socket wrench (doesn't fit well). Then I put on a set of rubber gloves and with a lot of arm strength, finally break it free. Great....right?

Then I move on to the oil pan bolt. It's beyond tight. I mean I could not break it free with my 14 mm box wrench. Go find my 36" pipe to put over the wrench. Even with the pipe it was scary tight. I had to pull quite hard....enough I was concerned something would break. It did come loose but jeez was that scary.

Sounds like a typical oil change on any friend's vehicle, that is usually "professionally serviced."

That's why we're all here, isn't it? (Except for the one guy who will show up in a moment to defend commercial service).

You want a job done right, you do it yourself. Show your son how to do it. Heck, he should be doing it for you.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Sounds like a typical oil change on any friend's vehicle, that is usually "professionally serviced.".

Sums up my own experience pretty well. Sadly.
I now always have spare drain plugs with me when I do an oil change for a friend
wink.gif

Consider yourself lucky the pan plug threads are OK.
I am dealing with a '98 Camry that has some kinda leaky oversize drain plug.

Get a dang cheapo torque wrench people!

Wow I did my vibe today too. 09 vibe and it has a canister type filter that takes a special cap with slots cut in it. This was my first change on the car and whoever did it before me obviously had the correct tool and tightened it like unbelievably tight. I tried every tool I could get my hands on including 4 total trips to the auto parts stores. It was a nightmare. I worked at a quick lube for 2 years when I was a kid along with 10 more years in the automotive mechanics industry and had my share of filter battles. I was the guy everyone called on when they couldn't get a filter off. The difference here was I was fighting a battle not only caused by over tightening but also the fact the Design of the cap made it impossible to use a regular filter cap. I finally got a good bite on it where I was able to go full strength by combining 2 tools on the cap at one time. Can't believe the cap didn't break. This oil change wore me out. I was under that car probably 20 seperate times. Pure stress!!! 3hrs of it.

Originally Posted by Lubener
You want a job done right, you do it yourself. Show your son how to do it. Heck, he should be doing it for you.

I have had him do them a few times. Lately though, being home all the time I just do it to fill some time.

To dwcopple: What's CSB?

Everyone else: A leaky drain plug and the desperate need to rid yourself of the vehicle ?

Get a small tube of Permatex Ultra Black and send it on its way.

Pro tip... always use an impact wrench to R&R your oil drain plug. Also, a little red loctite on the filter threads will make sure it doesn't come loose.

Originally Posted by ripcord
Pro tip... always use an impact wrench to R&R your oil drain plug. Also, a little red loctite on the filter threads will make sure it doesn't come loose.

lol.gif

Also... Use the red loctite on the oil filter too for better performance
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Kira
To dwcopple: What's CSB?

Everyone else: A leaky drain plug and the desperate need to rid yourself of the vehicle ?

Get a small tube of Permatex Ultra Black and send it on its way.

That's fine as long as you fore-warn the future owners about the leak, if not then that is VERY dishonest.

Had a steel spin-on filter rip apart it was so tight and it took a chisel on the base to get it off.
Must have been some disgruntled employee somewhere responsible.
You're lucky.

I have used the hammer and long screw driver method 1 or 2 times on the filter .

We purchased a used Buick 3.8l a few years ago . The dealer sent it to Firestone for an oil / filter change before we took delivery .

It has a 13mm drain plug . I put my 12 point combination wrench on the drain plug . The drain plug was too close to another part to get a ratchet & socket on it . It was TIGHT ! :-(

The wrench was " normal " length , a little short .

Well , with some tapping on the handle of the Wrench , I was rounding off the head of the drain plug . :-(

This was latter in the afternoon , on a weekend , I think . After shopping at several stores , I was not able to locate a 6 point wrench and came home . Then I thought of vice grips , an idea I did not like but I did not have a better idea . So , I used the vice grips . After several attempts with the vice grips , hammering on the handle , I loosened the drain plug .

While the oil was draining , I went to the parts store & purchased a new drain plug . I made sure it came with a gasket .

I made sure I did not over tighten the new drain plug . Finished up , very glad .

I started an internet search for a 13mm . 6 point wrench . Ended up going to Sears , a few days latter , and purchasing a Craftsman combination wrench . And where I could have sourced a 6 point wrench , on the weekend . :-(

Which I have used , since then .

I have to admit , I had more than a few unkind thoughts about the person at Firestone , that changed the oil / filter ! :-(

Agree with the other poster , have a spare drain plug on hand .

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
drain valve

https://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com...9yIquQ-K25BJffVssM5vxI8VuehoCZ8EQAvD_BwE

Problem is many quick change places will just pull that off and not use the valve at all.
Read here about someone having their fumoto "replaced" with a standard plug at a quick lube.

Fumoto Valve vehicle owner should already know to enter a 20+ minutes oil change shop. instead of a 10 minutes place, when refusing add-on / upsell options like tire rotation. So I side with the Oil Change Shop that can't afford to wait for the very slow drain from Fumoto Valves, on vehicles with 6-7-8-9 quart oil pans.

Back