does ac delco warranty the replacement battery?

hey guys! in my truck i purchased a new ac delco battery with 42 month free replacement warranty in the end of 2014 because my old battery was out of warranty i assume.
in early 2018, this ac delco 79pg battery stopped working and i took it to the gm dealership and they replaced it under the 42 month free replacement warranty with another ac delco 79pg battery. now in 2020, the warranty battery stopped holding a charge and i took it in and they tested it and it failed on the spot. but they said they cant warranty it since the warranty starts for the original battery which was in 2014.

is this true? or are they trying to get away with it?
in my opinion since the 2018 battery is the exact same battery and has 42 month warranty, it should have warranty starting from 2018 because thats when it was installed.
anyone have any luck with this? or am i out of luck

thanks

Originally Posted by apollo18

but they said they cant warranty it since the warranty starts for the original battery which was in 2014.

is this true? or are they trying to get away with it?

thanks

Per AC Delco

https://www.acdelco.com/content/dam...acdelco-battery-warranty-information.pdf

If an ACDelco battery is replaced under warranty at no-charge to the customer, the newly replaced battery will receive the remainder of the original warranty. Consequently, in the event that the second battery fails, the date of sale of the original retail purchase is to be used as the beginning date when calculating months of service.

It appears to be true

Yes it's true. You were trying to get away with a free one. Basically the way it works is that if they refunded you the purchase price and you bought a new battery with those funds, then the new one would have a warranty just like the original one. But if they just replaced your battery with a new one, the replacement would only have a warranty as long as the original purchase. How did they figure out that you had bought a battery in 2014? If you told them, one way to get away with it is to just take it to another dealer and tell them you don't have the paperwork and then they might just give you a new one as they would just go by the date on the battery.

That's why I like how Home Depot does water heater warranties, they give you a credit for the old one and then you use that to buy a new one so the new one would have a new warranty from the purchase date.

The warranty is based on the original purchase date and does not start over unless you financially participate in the repair ie it is in the pro-rated period and you pay.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Yes it's true. You were trying to get away with a free one. Basically the way it works is that if they refunded you the purchase price and you bought a new battery with those funds, then the new one would have a warranty just like the original one. But if they just replaced your battery with a new one, the replacement would only have a warranty as long as the original purchase. How did they figure out that you had bought a battery in 2014? If you told them, one way to get away with it is to just take it to another dealer and tell them you don't have the paperwork and then they might just give you a new one as they would just go by the date on the battery.

That's why I like how Home Depot does water heater warranties, they give you a credit for the old one and then you use that to buy a new one so the new one would have a new warranty from the purchase date.

ahh darn it that kinda sucks tho because this new "replacement battery" only lasted 2 years. i guess i wont be going with ac delco again
yeah they asked for my vin so i think im just going to goto a different dealer and say i bought it from here but not for a specific vehicle or something like that. because if i give my vin there gonna be able to pull up the battery info and purchase info i assume
unless someone used a specific excuse and can recommend me what to say?

If you don't give them your VIN they will probably want to see the original purchase receipt. With Motorcraft if we don't have the original receipt there is no warranty period since without that we don't get reimbursed.

You paid for a 42 month warranty and it sounds like that is what you got. You did not pay for another 42 month warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
If you don't give them your VIN they will probably want to see the original purchase receipt. With Motorcraft if we don't have the original receipt there is no warranty period since without that we don't get reimbursed.

You paid for a 42 month warranty and it sounds like that is what you got. You did not pay for another 42 month warranty.

Indeed. OP yeah it stinks.

ahh yeah i get where you coming from because i did get 42 months from 2014 thats for sure, but the second battery shouldnt only last 2 years. if it lasted past the 42 months then i completely agree i dont deserve any warranty but i only had this battery for a little over 2 years. the warranty should cover this battery too because it failed before the 42 months.

but now i know better for next time, not to buy delco cuz i can find 6-7 year battery warranties here easily in canada for less price

Originally Posted by apollo18

ahh yeah i get where you coming from because i did get 42 months from 2014 thats for sure, but the second battery shouldnt only last 2 years. if it lasted past the 42 months then i completely agree i dont deserve any warranty but i only had this battery for a little over 2 years. the warranty should cover this battery too because it failed before the 42 months.

but now i know better for next time, not to buy delco cuz i can find 6-7 year battery warranties here easily in canada for less price

Wouldn't bother with another Delco one....

Same way with Walmart too. The warranty doesn't restart unless you pay something. I'm pretty sure that's common across the industry.

Had the same experience with a tankless water heater. 10 year warranty. Failed after 9 years and replaced with similar unit. Guaranteed for another 10? Nope, only one. Tech told me "think of it as a lifetime warranty, you only get one in a lifetime."

same deal with a Firestone purchased and installed Interstate battery...they even replaced the failed battery (5 year warranty) with a lower CCA and 2 year warranty Interstate for the previous owner of my F150...this thread just just confirmed that for me...thanks all

Bill

Last edited:
i was just so accustomed to great warranty from other brands for example had an exide battery here in canada
it had 48 month replacement warranty, stopped working in 3-4 years and then called them up and they told me to take it to the reatiler for a full refund
took it there, got a full refund and bought another one in which my warranty restarted again since its a new battery

went to costco battery stopped working 3 years, came to the counter, they gave me full refund, bought another and now i have another 3-4 years left on this battery

i know many people wont agree with me but i believe that if my original battery was repaired, i agree it should only have 42 months warranty.
but they literally replaced it with a supposed "new" battery which was a complete replacement from my old battery. this "new" battery could have problems of its own, i believe it should still last and fulfil the warranty that it has stamped on the front of the battery regardless of if i paid for it or got it for free.

Back