APR dyno: Passat 2.0T 87 vs 93 Octane

wemay

Site Donor 2023
A 21 hp difference?

https://www.goapr.com/

Screenshot_20200525-103421_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the APR numbers but also think the VW numbers are underrating the actual stock power. Many manufacturers do this.

Makes sense - with a boosted engine, you can lose a lot of timing to prevent detonation.

Just remember that 2 AKI numbers is huge.

I remember the head of operations of the Honda Swindon factory talking with someone who was getting his Civic Type R delivered. He was mentioning that the "fuel requirements" were for a certain octane rating that I believe was for regular premium, but that a higher RON fuel would actually produce another 12 HP. He was using RON, but I believe what he was mentioning was equivalent to 91 and 93 AKI.

And it's really weird. Years ago I got into a discussion with someone about timing and knock sensors. His argument seemed to be that it was crazy to trust that a knock sensor would work all the time given that once there was severe detonation an engine would be toast. But these days nobody has a second thought about it.

if you had a boost gauge you would see Vag cars are tuned very mildly!! 2001 1.8T jetta max 7 lb + a very restrictive exhaust. 2.5" + turbo back + apr tune for 93 octane woke it up boosting to 18 lb, my 2001 TT 1.8 T sees 25 lb at times, a fun car thats economical off boost + NO DI issues!! with port injection but not as powerful as DI offerings that controls knock better

The low vs high octane hp would be valid if APR would have done same car/engine on their dyno wiht both fuels under similar atmospheric conditions ... otherwise too many variables. Interesting though, thanks for posting.

I have this engine in my 19 Tiguan. Came this close to buying the passat!

you dont have 2 results there to compare..

you have the manufacturer spec vs a dyno test.

but that result seems reasonable.

Originally Posted by Rand
you dont have 2 results there to compare..

you have the manufacturer spec vs a dyno test.

but that result seems reasonable.

Yes, agreed. But even in that context, the hp spread seemed too large. But from the answers here, I appear to be mistaken.

I don't know a ton about the Passat implementation of the 2.0T, but that motor is available in numerous tunes across the VAG lineup. 20ish horsepower from higher octane doesn't seem that unreasonable, really. Modern knock sensors and ECUs are pretty good at making a whole range of fuel qualities work.

Originally Posted by wemay
But from the answers here, I appear to be mistaken.

No worries, mate... all in good fun!

I can tell you that i have put premium in my Tiguan a few times due to these low gas prices latley. No difference in fuel mileage or hp improvement on my arse dyno that i can feel, anyway.

Maybe try that yourself, maybe your car will respond well.

Originally Posted by oily boyd
Originally Posted by wemay
But from the answers here, I appear to be mistaken.

No worries, mate... all in good fun!

I can tell you that i have put premium in my Tiguan a few times due to these low gas prices latley. No difference in fuel mileage or hp improvement on my arse dyno that i can feel, anyway.

Maybe try that yourself, maybe your car will respond well.

Hey oily,

I have, with equal results. I would think a 20hp increase would be noticeable. Fuel mileage was the same as well. We're on the same page it appears. Maybe it will be different now that it's broken 12k miles.

On my old GSW 1.8 i had the IS20 87 octane tune and it was only 7lb ft of torque different between 87 an 91 octane levels, 18 peak hp. It's not much and i wanted to have a little more timing cushion for hot days or an iffy tank of 91. For my new Alltrack i think i will go the same, and get the APR Plus, its the same 87 octane tune but with APR covering the powertrain warranty.

1. VW has a history of under-rating the power and torque figures of their published specs. No surprises here.

2. Those APR figures are "crank" HP, which means it is estimated by some pre-determined fudge factor by the dyno software.

I prefer using wheel hp, because that is what the dyno is measuring. Most aftermarket companies don't have a water brake dyno, that large manufacturers have.

The figures that are screen captured is for the 1.8L TSI motor, not the 2.0T budack engine.

APR has cracked the security for the ECU, but tunes and hardware is still in development.

Last edited:
Back