13 Corolla PCV

My daughter's 2013 Corolla has 197k miles on it. 1.8L 2ZR-FE. (What's up with the 2ZR-FE thing, anyway? I'm fairly new to Toyota. Why can't we just say 1.8L like every other manufacturer? It seems anywhere a Toyota engine is mentioned, there is always the code after it).
Anyhow. It is burning, I think about one quart of oil in about 3k miles or so.
I would like to change the PCV valve and am wondering if anyone has done so? Torque specs for the intake? Tightening sequence? Is there some sort of canister or baffle thing that the PCV valve mounts in that a person can clean and/or replace as well? What was so wrong about having PCV valves mounted in the valve cover? This car and my Fusion both have them behind the intake manifold.
I've been using Valvoline FS HM 0W20 in it. I think that I am going to switch it to 5W30. But, I really want to change out this PCV too.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W_GuLIhGk4

Well done!!!
wink.gif

It is possible to replace the PCV without removing the intake, but it is a struggle.

Excellent information, thank you much.
My plan is to replace the PCV and then switch to 5W30. If I am still getting consumption, I will try to MMO.

Originally Posted by The Critic
It is possible to replace the PCV without removing the intake, but it is a struggle.
From below?
Would I assume correctly that the PCV is hidden in the same place on the 2ZR-FE that it is on the 2ZR-FXE?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by The Critic
From below?
Would I assume correctly that the PCV is hidden in the same place on the 2ZR-FE that it is on the 2ZR-FXE?

Yes.

I replaced the PCV yesterday. It was a bit time consuming, but it wasn't awful. I was off a little bit on the mileage, the car is just shy of 195k miles.
The PCV valve really wasn't in that bad of condition. The PO said that he always ran Valvoline FS at a quick change place, 6k mile OCI.
The old valve wasn't sticky at all. I compared it to the new one; I slowly tipped them to see in which one the valve would move first, and they were pretty much the same.
I paid $6.08 for the valve and $15.81 for the intake gasket. The dealer gives me a little break.
So, it was $22 and a half of a Saturday wasted. Oh well, I have wasted far more money and time in other ways.
I have a piece of mind now. If I hadn't done it, I would always be wondering.
My Fusion has 117k miles on it. Maybe I will do it at 200k miles too.
Maybe I'll do the Corolla again at 400k miles.
cool.gif

I didn't take any pictures, I'm old school and just never think of it while I am in the middle of doing something like this.
The inside of the intake runner were a little bit wet and oily, not terrible.

Back