Having trouble finding the right part (VW)...

I am a very careful person, so I am a little frustrated with myself as I have scratched the plastic shifter surround on my wife's Jetta when vacuuming her car today. Thankfully it is very easy to remove the affected part, however I am having trouble finding JUST the plastic surround (the part that says PRNDS) I can find entire assemblies that include the faux leather boot and shifter knob, but all I need is the plastic base plate. Any idea where I can find just that part?

Here is an example of what I am finding...
Shifter assembly

Anything used will probably be in worse shape than the one you already have, especially since the boot and handle are part of the assembly. They get nasty quick.

Take it to a shop and have that piece vinyl wrapped? Might be the fastest and cheapest option, especially since you have the part off. A good shop should be able to wrap that part fast and then you would just snap it back in place.

There is a recall for the shift lever micro switch that came out late last year for most Jetta's from 2011 and up. They have to tear up the whole shift lever and cover assembly to do the recall work. You might want to have that recall performed before putting in a new shift cover.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
There is a recall for the shift lever micro switch that came out late last year for most Jetta's from 2011 and up. They have to tear up the whole shift lever and cover assembly to do the recall work. You might want to have that recall performed before putting in a new shift cover.

I had the recall done a couple months back when it was in for a heater core, surprisingly the dealer didn't scratch anything around the shifter area. They did throw the shifter out of adjustment though. I had to go back to have that fixed.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Is it possible to polish out or have a bodyshop repaint it?

I thought a good polish would do the trick, no luck unfortunately.

Any picture of this? Sometimes (depends on the plastic and texture) on plastic parts I airbrush the damage once the scratch is removed, you cant tell.

Back