Review: Cardone Reman Power Steering Pump

This weekend marks 5 years (Memorial day weekend 2015) since I installed a Cardone reman power steering pump on my 2000 Honda Accord. When installed, I had about 158,500 miles on the car, and now it has over 197,000; that's close to 40,000 miles on the reman power steering pump. Based on the reviews at the time, I was reluctant to buy a Cardone reman unit. That criticism has not paralleled my experience. I installed the unit per the instructions, which included a full flush of the system. I poured in Prestone Honda/Acura power steering fluid. When I started the car, the pump was screeching, so I turned the wheel lock-to-lock until all the air was out of the system. About 6 months later, I added lubegard power steering fluid protectant. I've done a few turkey baster fluid exchanges along the way. The pump still runs quite and smooth to this day. I hope this helps someone in their decision-making process.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Power steering pump rebuild is pretty low tech. If the seals/bearings bushings were easily available you could do it on your garage bench for about $2

I've had the same pump on my Accord for a few years now. I was apprehensive b/c of the reviews but it turned out well. I also didn't have a choice since AAP was the only place open on a Sunday evening and I needed my car for the work week ahead.

The PS pump on our 2006 TSX started to go south. There is a rebuilder in San Jose that is aces.
I bought a cheapie (maybe $50) new Amazon pump to use until I could get the original rebuilt. I did not want to core my original...
Plus, I had had surgery and couldn't do much work.

That was a year and a half ago. The cheapie is still in service.

Cardone rebuilt stuff does get a lot of bad reviews on the net.
My attitude is if the labor involved is not momentous, I'll take my chances and save the money up front and hope for the best.
I'd be interested in opinions of people who do this for a living.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Sorry, a PS pump that works is not changing my opinion of the crap they sell as rebuilt.

I went through 3 Cardone PS pumps on my BMW before getting an OEM replacement. They would last 3-10 months before the noise was unbearable or leaks began. OEM has been trouble free for 4 years.

Originally Posted by Trav
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Sorry, a PS pump that works is not changing my opinion of the crap they sell as rebuilt.

+1

This mirrors my opinion. I went through 6, yes 6 pumps before I gave up for a usable pump. They all failed initial checks before even installing. This was for a very common Saginaw style pump on a GM. The pumps either had wildly excessive end play, resivours beat to heck, or stripped threads. I ended up buying a rebuild kit from Amazon for about $10 and rebuilding my original myself. That pump is still in service.

When my original 4Runner pump was weeping at 330,000 miles, I bought a seal kit from Toyota for it, and again rebuilt it myself. They're easy to rebuild, I will never again bother with another Cardone pump.

I put 2 bad A1 Cardones on my Jeep in a row, had to go to the dealer and spend 3-4x as much for a reman there that wasn't an A1 Cardone.

Here's the video of the second one

You are a testament to running on borrowed time, I witnessed problems with rebuilt Rochester carburetors and brake shoes (what asbestos?) 60 years ago. Meanwhile Cardone has made millions since the 1960's in Philadelphia while violating environmental laws, taking advantage of immigrant labor, drastically cutting corners on rebuilds and using inferior parts. Other than that, they're OK.

I had one of those rebuilt Rochester carb problems on a carb for a 67 Chevy.
Some internet research indicates 40% of rebuilt carbs are faulty.
Re-did it myself with great detail and it worked, they had omitted one steel checkball.

You obviously have dealt a lot more with Cardone reman parts than me. I apparently got a good one. On the other hand, I installed a Koyorad that same weekend and it started leaking at the seems in the summer of 2019; it was ultimately replaced in Nov. 2019 with a Denso radiator. I guess aftermarket parts are hit or miss.

Last edited:

Absolutely! I been there/done that with Cardone. The only thing they did right, believe it or not, is an OptiSpark for LT1 engines. The have a NEW line and a remanufactured line - the NEW Optis have been great and the price is very good on RA. Anything else like PS pumps, steering racks - mechanical type stuff - prepare to replace them soon afterwards IF they even work out of the box.

I feel strongly about only 2 parts makers - Cardone and Dorman. They both produce more junk than good.

How many miles do you have on one of the new Cardone Opti's?? Don't do many any more, But I got a couple Impala SS's I take care of.

I'd rather take an [censored] whippin' than install Cardone or Dorman.

Originally Posted by RevelationLion
This weekend marks 5 years (Memorial day weekend 2015) since I installed a Cardone reman power steering pump on my 2000 Honda Accord. When installed, I had about 158,500 miles on the car, and now it has over 197,000; that's close to 40,000 miles on the reman power steering pump. Based on the reviews at the time, I was reluctant to buy a Cardone reman unit. That criticism has not paralleled my experience. I installed the unit per the instructions, which included a full flush of the system. I poured in Prestone Honda/Acura power steering fluid. When I started the car, the pump was screeching, so I turned the wheel lock-to-lock until all the air was out of the system. About 6 months later, I added lubegard power steering fluid protectant. I've done a few turkey baster fluid exchanges along the way. The pump still runs quite and smooth to this day. I hope this helps someone in their decision-making process.

Go buy a lotto ticket....stat!

Back