Castrol EDGE cleaned my funnel

Yesterday was a big day.
We bought our 2012 Fusion summer of 2015 with 25k miles on it. The previous owner always had it serviced at the Ford dealer. I have always run MC SB 5W20 in it. Until yesterday. I have been reading here on BITOG and pondering. It now has almost 118k miles on it. We moved from WI to southern NC. Yesterday I changed oil and put in Castrol EDGE 5W30. After in put in the 5.5 quarts I pulled the funnel out and was going to wipe it off and put it away, when I just happen to look at it and see that the permanent black film that has been in it for a long time has been cleaned off where the oil touched it. Crazy, I have never seen anything like that.
Then I was wondering if the inside of my engine looked like that funnel and it is going to clean it up as well?

The good part is it will.
The bad part is whatever was stuck to your funnel is now in the oil, or oil filter. ... Swap out the oil filter in between now and the next change if it cleans that much.

I believe it. I had something similar happen when I used Valvoline Nextgen conventional years ago. As I finished changing the oil, I took a clean paper towel, blotted some valvoline nextgen on it and wiped the underside of the engine oil cap and it took off all the solidified oil vapors that had accumulated throughout the years. I do this on every oil change to clean everything up and that was the only oil that has cleaned off oil cap varnish.

I can't figure out what MC SB 5w20 oil is?? Can't think of a oil the MC Fits with. I'm assuming SB means silver bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by R1jake
I can't figure out what MC SB 5w20 oil is?? Can't think of a oil the MC Fits with. I'm assuming SB means silver bottle.

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20: link

ROFLMAO!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

ROFLMAO!

Took me a minute to figure this one out too. I immediately knew the lmao part but the rof took a second.

R1jake: I'm sorry. The SB means synthetic blend. I should have mentioned that. Have a good day friend
34.gif
10.gif

Originally Posted by AJB0009
Yesterday was a big day.
We bought our 2012 Fusion summer of 2015 with 25k miles on it. The previous owner always had it serviced at the Ford dealer. I have always run MC SB 5W20 in it. Until yesterday. I have been reading here on BITOG and pondering. It now has almost 118k miles on it. We moved from WI to southern NC. Yesterday I changed oil and put in Castrol EDGE 5W30. After in put in the 5.5 quarts I pulled the funnel out and was going to wipe it off and put it away, when I just happen to look at it and see that the permanent black film that has been in it for a long time has been cleaned off where the oil touched it. Crazy, I have never seen anything like that.
Then I was wondering if the inside of my engine looked like that funnel and it is going to clean it up as well?

The Edge might put a nice varnish finish inside that plastic funnel.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Hey you're back, I missed these types of posts. Where have you been?

Originally Posted by kschachn

I don't miss his posts a bit.

That made my day!

Okay, I give up.
I was using MC SB and no one liked that.
Now I switch to Castrol EDGE and everyone is hating on it.
What's up with that?
I can't win.
Seriously, what is people's beef with EDGE?

Okay, I give up.
What's up with that?
I can't win.

It's not the oil everyone is disagreeing with.

Okay, I give up.
What's up with that?
I can't win.

I don't have a "beef" with any oil. Use it with confidence and be done with it already. Sheesh!

I had to serve 30 days in the hole and then I pondered coming back to the website for six more days.
I do want to try Castrol Edge EP someday. But not the regular Edge anymore. Valvoline Advanced weathered thru a 4k OCI on my 2.4 GDI better than the Edge regular. Just looking at the used oil in the plastic bucket after a GDI drain, can tell us if the oil is shot or not.

Okay, I give up.
What's up with that?
I can't win.

Some people have reported varnish problems, I just plain don't like Castrol because they're BP and I'm not a fan of them because of the whole gulf coast oil spill.

Back