Dealer put 0w/30 FE in 2005 E46 - is that OK?

Although I do OCs (using a MightyVac) in my 2005 E46, once in a while i take it to the dealer do to a proper "drain", and they have always used BMW 5w/30 and Mann filter. But this last time the receipt shows 0w/30 FE. I emailed them and they say BMW back-specc'd 0w/30 FE for this engine. I just cannot find any proof of the FE being ok for this engine AND i just don't want it. And for the first time EVER, the yellow oil light (NOT RED) came on AFTER I shut the engine off. (this was after about 3-4 weeks since the O/C at the dealer). This is BMW speak for "watch oil level but no need to add immediately"- it remains for a few seconds after shut off and then goes away. I added some 5w/40 and the oil light never came on again BUT I cannot but think that this has something to do with the 0w/30 FE.
I have owned the car since 12k miles and always used 5w/40 in summer and 0w/40 in winter, except for the occasional BMW 5w/30 at the dealer. (I let the dealer change it whenever they have coupons OR every 4th DIY change).

Anyway after a string of emails back and forth service advisor said I can bring my own oil in the future... They don't even stock the 5w/30 oils any more.

SO, what do you guys think? were they correct?

(the 0w/30 FE is still in the engine. And it is not SUPER hot yet....I am just gonna keep it until it's time for the next OC and this time it will be a DIY so going back to 5w/40)

Last edited:
Go to one of the spec comparison sites and see how the LL01 vs LL01FE compare.

If they both spec ACEA A3, Id not be that concerned, personally, unless you really are hard on it.

If not, Id personally just be a bit more careful driving; accommodate by habits versus wasting the oil in the sump plus the cost of new oil over a bellyache.

The oil level warning is more interesting to me. My understanding is that it monitors how fast the oil heats up, and assesses the level somehow based upon that. Ive never looked into it (my N55 has no dipstick, but the level assessment function seems to work fine), though I probably should at some point. It seems strange to me that two 30wt oils would make a difference, even if one has more VII, or slightly different heat capacity, assuming it actually is at the right level...

Last edited:
As others have said LL01FE (A5/B5) has always been acceptable for the M54/M52.

The oil light could be coincidental. Oil was known to leak into the harness causing a yellow flicker (I experienced it myself). I'm surprised it hasn't happened to you before. Perhaps the new oil removed some crud which prevented oil from buggering up the sensor?

Side note: BMW updated the LL01 spec and consequently dealers have been able to buy it from distribution but I'm not surprised your dealer isn't aware since the majority of the vehicle's they service use 20w or 0w30.

Thanks for the info guys.

Per the chart that was posted by MCompact above, it looks like the FE is NOT meant for the M54 engine?
can someone also look and confirm?

Either way, I don't see a reason to change to a "thinner oil" from whatever is on the oil cap. This is not meant as a fuel saving vehicle and a semi- garage queen. It only has 70k miles right now.
I think I will just go back to doing OCs myself and confirm with the dealer that I can really bring in my own oil when I do need the occasional "drain". (I have his email still).

Originally Posted by 97tbird

Per the chart that was posted by MCompact above, it looks like the FE is NOT meant for the M54 engine?

Either way, I don't see a reason to change to a "thinner oil" from whatever is on the oil cap. This is not meant as a fuel saving vehicle and a semi- garage queen. It only has 70k miles right now.
I think I will just go back to doing OCs myself and confirm with the dealer that I can really bring in my own oil when I do need the occasional "drain". (I have his email still).

I run BMW TPT 5W-30 in the M42 in my E36/5. I wouldn't go any thinner- and if it was still my HPDE car I'd run 5W-40.

I misspoke. LL01FE is not spec'd for the M54/M52. It's only acceptable for N-series engines.

Apologies for reading TIS incorrectly.

Last edited:
No problem. I am glad someone can confirm.
I also saw that MCompact had chosen M3 as the model when he linked the chart in his reply, and I changed it to 330Ci (mine is a ZHP - with performance package) - but that didn't change anything. M54 was still NOT a candidate for the LL01FE per the chart.

Last edited:
No problem. I am glad someone can confirm.
I also saw that MCompact had chosen M3 as the model when he linked the chart in his reply, and I changed it to 330Ci (mine is a ZHP - with performance package) - but that didn't change anything. M54 was still NOT a candidate for the LL01FE per the chart.

Sorry about that; the way the TIS is organized it links several models to certain charts and tables.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

I misspoke. LL01FE is not spec'd for the M54/M52. It's only acceptable for N-series engines.

Apologies for reading TIS incorrectly.

Same here, looks like I was incorrect as well. The M54 is not an engine that was validated for LL01Fe.

Thanks for the replies, guys.
The TCS site is kinda hard to navigate and no surprise several of us didn't see the chart correctly. I am just glad I finally have something to show the service advisor if I ever go to the dealer again.
Temps are up to 93F here today and I am def going to change the oil myself and use the old Castrol Edge 0w/40 that has been sitting in the garage.
I'd feel better with a 5/40 but i shouldn't waste those 2 jugs of 0w/40

Last edited:
And for the first time EVER, the yellow oil light (NOT RED) came on AFTER I shut the engine off. (this was after about 3-4 weeks since the O/C at the dealer). This is BMW speak for "watch oil level but no need to add immediately"- it remains for a few seconds after shut off and then goes away. I added some 5w/40 and the oil light never came on again BUT I cannot but think that this has something to do with the 0w/30 FE.

It is a fifteen-year-old car. It probably consumes a lot of oil when you use thinner oil because of bad valve-stem oil seals. I would use the thickest oil suitable to reduce the oil consumption. You might even want to consider 10W-60 if the oil consumption gets out of control.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
And for the first time EVER, the yellow oil light (NOT RED) came on AFTER I shut the engine off. (this was after about 3-4 weeks since the O/C at the dealer). This is BMW speak for "watch oil level but no need to add immediately"- it remains for a few seconds after shut off and then goes away. I added some 5w/40 and the oil light never came on again BUT I cannot but think that this has something to do with the 0w/30 FE.

It is a fifteen-year-old car. It probably consumes a lot of oil when you use thinner oil because of bad valve-stem oil seals. I would use the thickest oil suitable to reduce the oil consumption. You might even want to consider 10W-60 if the oil consumption gets out of control.

Seems a bit of a leap. Maybe they didn't fill it all the way, or the light could be totally unrelated.

Originally Posted by Gokhan

If engine was properly maintained, if it did not over heat, M54 will never develop valve stem seal issue.

Back