Mobil 5w-40TDT

Curious as I know this oil is generally used by the turbo diesel users but Im trying to find a commercially available 5w-40 for a Porsche 911 which generally used M1 0w40 with the A40 rating. Ive read the TDT is a good oil but wondering if there is preventing me from using it on a 85k mileage 911.

Thanks for the help.

I've used TDT in a diesel VW with good success at 9K mile OCI. The old spec Mobil Delvac ESP CJ-4 and 75w90 GL-5 gear oils were widely promoted by Porsche enthusiasts for racing applications. Delvac ESP CJ-4 had HQ base oils which held up under long OCIs and abuse. The current formula is different and untested.

The highest quality A40 oil on the market is Rowe 0w40. It is a true synthetic that is group IV and V. https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/14425...y5azk5gIVhMBkCh292Qj5EAYYASABEgI6pfD_BwE

If it meets ACEA A3B4 it will be ok. It wont be 100% perfect if it doesnt meet A40, but for everyday use it wont make much difference.
If you plan extended track sessions on hot days in the desert A40 would be preferable.

Is there something stopping you from ordering the correct fluid from Amazon/Ebay etc?

It is OK to use. You could also consider Motul or Redline which are both ester based oils....Or you could just run the M1 0w40 which has proven itself to be more than adequate !

Why not continue to use one of the A40 approved oils on the same shelf at Walmart for less money? Is there a problem with either Mobil 1 or Castrol 0W-40 that sell for about $25 for five quarts, and have actual A40 approval?

Originally Posted by sibhus
Curious as I know this oil is generally used by the turbo diesel users but Im trying to find a commercially available 5w-40 for a Porsche 911 which generally used M1 0w40 with the A40 rating. Ive read the TDT is a good oil but wondering if there is preventing me from using it on a 85k mileage 911.

Thanks for the help.

M1 TDT 5w-40 is an excellent oil, but there may be (incrementally) better choices, especially if it is a 996/997.

What year 911?

We use M1 5w or 15W-50 in ours, but both are Summer toys only. The 5W-50 is A40 approved.

Mobil TDT is an interesting oil because according to the Mobil product chart dated October 2019 is has 1300 ppm Phosphorous and 1100 ppm since but yet still has a SN rating. Perhaps the Porsche community is attracted to the high zinc, rightly or not.

Im using this is a 997.1 S model, the issue with the 0w40 is that most owners such as myself have problem with oil burnout with the Mobil 0w40 as it seems to run on the thinner side. I have noticed with Motul my oil consumption is halved but has to be mail ordered. I like the fact that the TDT can be had at any Walmart or auto store. Ive come to realize sadly the boutique oils don't offer anything much more. But also im also after a high ZDDP and moly oil.

Im using this is a 997.1 S model, the issue with the 0w40 is that most owners such as myself have problem with oil burnout with the Mobil 0w40 as it seems to run on the thinner side. I have noticed with Motul my oil consumption is halved but has to be mail ordered. I like the fact that the TDT can be had at any Walmart or auto store. Ive come to realize sadly the boutique oils don't offer anything much more. But also im also after a high ZDDP and moly oil.

In that case I'd try the TDT and see what happens. I tried it a while for my old BMW, but the price of the Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 just didn't make it worthwhile. Despite its age, oil consumption is not one of its many faults.

What about Castrol Edge 5w40? Slightly thicker with A40, MB 229.3 / 229.5. Available from Wally. If not in store, 2 jugs will ship for free.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Thanks for the help.

M1 TDT 5w-40 is an excellent oil, but there may be (incrementally) better choices, especially if it is a 996/997.

What year 911?

We use M1 5w or 15W-50 in ours, but both are Summer toys only. The 5W-50 is A40 approved.

Awesome garage. I had not realized 5w50 was a Mobil 1 Euro Approved oil. Interesting option for a fill before any track events. I've stuck with 0w40, I suspect likely no tangible differences here. 90 degrees has to be well within operating specification.

Originally Posted by Trix
Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Thanks for the help.

What year 911?

Awesome garage. I had not realized 5w50 was a Mobil 1 Euro Approved oil. Interesting option for a fill before any track events. I've stuck with 0w40, I suspect likely no tangible differences here. 90 degrees has to be well within operating specification.

Thanks, keeps me busy. Our 996 would consume the 0w-40, not severely, and it also was noticeably louder at startup, in a low mileage car. That is why we switched to the heavier oils.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
I've used TDT in a diesel VW with good success at 9K mile OCI. The old spec Mobil Delvac ESP CJ-4 and 75w90 GL-5 gear oils were widely promoted by Porsche enthusiasts for racing applications. Delvac ESP CJ-4 had HQ base oils which held up under long OCIs and abuse. The current formula is different and untested.

The highest quality A40 oil on the market is Rowe 0w40. It is a true synthetic that is group IV and V. https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/14425...y5azk5gIVhMBkCh292Qj5EAYYASABEgI6pfD_BwE

Why? What makes Rowe, a budget oil in Germany the highest quality?

Originally Posted by GlennDa5id
What about Castrol Edge 5w40? Slightly thicker with A40, MB 229.3 / 229.5. Available from Wally. If not in store, 2 jugs will ship for free.

It is step down from Castrol Edge 0W40.

Thanks for the help.

Nothing stops you. It is good oil.
The thing with A40 or MB229.5 or LL01 is that there are stringent demands specific to small engines that will see high rates of speed etc. TDT is aimed at different exploitation.
There are numerous oils meeting A40. Castrol Edge 0W40, Pennzoil Platinum 5W40, Motul X-cess 5W40, Valvoline European Vehicle 5W40. Motul X-Cess 2nd Gen is out and looks really stout with HTHS of 3.9.

Back