Trans flush or pan drop?

Exactly right ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

I just did my 4th and likely FINAL drain and refill on my 08 Nissan Altima VQ 3.5 L CVT.... I did 3 previous drain and refills starting at 283,500 miles... Definitely made the CVT quieter... Eneos CVT fluid put in last 3 drain and refills... Fluid color which was dark brown at 283k miles... After first 3 drain and refills was translucent clear... Interestingly the fluid that drained out into my drain pan actually had a bluish hue to it still after 20k miles... Surprised me. Could hardly see it on the dipstick. After this last drain and refill I just about need a seeing eye dog to see the mark on the stick
lol.gif

Last edited:
If your dealing with a transmission that's got alot of varnish in it, new fluid or a flush if you will can break it lose and stopped up the filter. It happened to me after adding a quart of fluid. Changed the filter, was good for 100miles, had to change it again, was good for 3 years and 80k miles later. Now how many people had a transmission rebuilt when it was really just a stopped up filter?

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN
Originally Posted by Govtman
Local big service place flushed my wifes car and the trans went out within the week. Mechanic i know said that was common. Some vehicle mfgs. will not warranty a transmission if it has been flushed.

I had this same bad experience on a Mini-van of mine which required a rebuild shortly thereafter (and I had NO issues prior to this machine flush).

IMHO: DO NOT use a "flush machine" like the BG type so often seen. Just do the OEM factory recommended method (whatever that is for your specific car). For most modern cars today, that is a simple drain and fill with fresh ATF (using the drain bolt, no pan drops needed) as many don't have replaceable filters anymore (unless you are talking about a truck). Honda used to recommend doing this three times (with driving some miles in-between) to increase getting the newest fluid concentration in the transmission (and cleaning the magnetic drain plug of course).

I now do mine every 30K miles or so (DIY for my car, the dealership for the wife's Rogue w/CVT). Cheap insurance.

The last 6 trucks I've bought none have a drain bolts. The last 2 cars I've bought for my wife no drain bolts. The last 3 vehicles I have helped my Son. No drain bolts. And yes all the automobiles mentioned recommended flushes. I've yet to experience a issue with flushes.

Update: I did this and used the Wix rubber seal/filter. All was well until Friday, now after it sits overnight I get a half-dime sized drop on the ground. I checked the bolts with a 1/4" drive ratchet by where the leak is and they feel snug to me. Any ideas?

Back