NEXEN TIRE ADDS VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT TO OE PORTFOLIO

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.tirereview.com/nexen-tire-volkswagen-passat-oe/

Tire Review Magazine

NEWS
NEXEN TIRE ADDS VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT TO OE PORTFOLIO
March 12, 2020

Nexen Tire is supplying the N'fera AU7 in size 215/60R16 95T for the Canadian market and 215/55R17 94H for the United States market on the new Volkswagen Passat as original equipment.

The N'fera AU7 is an all-season, premium ultra-high performance (UHP) tire developed for luxury sedans, with significantly improved wear capabilities and braking performance on wet surfaces, Nexen says. The company adds it provides reliable performance in diverse weather and road conditions across North America and fulfills U.S. standards on wet grip and braking, and applies enhanced design standards for noise and vibration.

The N'fera AU7 has received awards including the iF Design Award and the Red Dot Award from Germany, as well as the IDEA Design Award from the United States, in recognition for its performance and design, the company says.

Screenshot_20200525-073036_Chrome.jpg

Why not? VW uses everything else. Hankook, Continental and Michelin were the OE tires on my last 3 VW's.

I had Nexen OE tires on my 2017 VW Alltrack. Real garbage. Wore rapidly, poor wet traction, etc. I got rid of them at about 18,000 miles when there was about 30% tread life remaining and put on a set of Bridgestone Ecopias that I got through the VW dealer at a great price. What a difference!

Yea tried Nexen once, just awful. When I wrote them they seemed to care little and tried to dump me on a tire installer who was dumbfounded why I called them.

Probably making $1 a tire as part of the forward plan. Walking around in Home Depot yesterday … nothing but SK products … same companies caught dumping … paid a calculated fine … still around for the planned displacement …

You guys go ahead, not me …

My Golf came with Conti ProContact. Total garbage of a tire, Hardly any thread left after 25K miles and I don't drive aggressive at all, Noisy on a highway, squealing in corners. Replaced it with General Altimax RT43. Huge difference in ride and handling, And after 15K+ miles the thread still looks like tire wasn't used.

Originally Posted by js1956
My Golf came with Conti ProContact. Total garbage of a tire, Hardly any thread left after 25K miles and I don't drive aggressive at all, Noisy on a highway, squealing in corners. Replaced it with General Altimax RT43. Huge difference in ride and handling, And after 15K+ miles the thread still looks like tire wasn't used.

Our rabbit did too. Started having west weather concerns around 45k miles. Replaced with Michelin Primacy tires and were very pleased to get a domestic made high quality tire on there. I miss that car sometimes...

I only have experience with two sets of Nexens, the first were on my last Jeep when I bought it, they were far from new but lasted a very long time and did far better than you'd expect off road despite being HT designation.

My daughters 15 Soul came with OE Nexens, she is at 74k now and it's finally time. No complaints there either, they were not rotated as much as they should have been they might have lasted longer. Our Kia came with Kumho's which were gargage and totally shot at 30k.

My Passat OE is the already mentioned Conti ProContacts. A consistent source of griping on VW forum. They don't corner or get power to the pavement as well as I'd like, but despite claims to the contrary I find them very good on snow and ice. They are at almost 30k and look to be about a 50k tire maybe a bit more.

It will be interesting to see what actual owners say about these new Nexens.

Just looked, TireBuyer has the new Nexens for 167 and the existing ProContacts for 208, so the Nexens may be more of a "bargain" tire.

Nexen makes horrible tires. I even refused to buy a Tiguan with the Giti tires. The Bridgestone Ecopia Plus 422 are excellent OE tires.

Porsche has been using Nexen tires on the Cayenne for a few years now. Porsche spends more on tire development than any other car company

Both Kias in my sig came with Nexen CP671, tires were ok for a couple of years then started slipping and wearing a bit weird. No confidence in rain or lower temps in spring or fall.
I retired both sets a little 'early' according to their mileage warranty.
Nexeneveragain is the tire name for me now
laugh.gif

manufactures give tire contracts to the lowest bidder meeting their specs, just like oil. girlfriends Nexen 205-65-16 all season but winter OE tires on her 2018 optima proved to be POOR in the little snow we got last year, otherwise OK.

Yep-how many times have we heard that OEM spec tires are not what you would necessarily get aftermarket? This certainly always gets mentioned when somebody says their OEM MIchelin tires stink. Personal experience tells me that Nexen Roadian HP and Nexen Pro RA8 All Terrain are excellent tires.

BTW-for an all season tires both are excellent in snow.

Last edited:
Got 52k on factory mounted Goodyear Eagles … they have some life left … but just ordered another set for some deeper "rain grooves" … Looking at the factory mounted Michelin tires on the Tahoe … they might make 60k and will cost way more to replace like for like …

Originally Posted by Boomer
I had Nexen OE tires on my 2017 VW Alltrack. Real garbage. Wore rapidly, poor wet traction, etc. I got rid of them at about 18,000 miles when there was about 30% tread life remaining and put on a set of Bridgestone Ecopias that I got through the VW dealer at a great price. What a difference!

Nexen or were they Falkens?

Nexen RU1's are supplied to Porsche for the Cayenne and Macan.

Almost anything is better than the Goodyear Eagle LS-2's that used to come on VW's. The wear was so bad, VW had to address the issue with a TSB.

Last edited:
Back