recommended 5w30 for ticking and engine noises

for my gm 6.2l which has piston slap and lifter tick, i noticed when i got castrol edge 5w30 it reduced the engine noise quite a bit, it was very much noticeable.
however i believe over the length and life of the oil and whatever property lowered the noises in the oil has worn out or something happened to it and now im back to noisy engine again.

i was wondering if you guys recommend any oil that queits down better then castrol edge 5w30?
thx

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Try a 5W40 or 10W40. Have you cleaned your injectors? Stuck injections may be diluting your oil.

Agreed. Any of the GM V8's I have owned in the past were notorious for various injector issues including fuel dumping.

Also may wish to try Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. Not the thickest of 40 weight, but exceptional at reducing valve train noise and provides superior protection based on my experience with it in light-duty diesel engines. Has even helped with hydraulic lifter tick in VW VE diesels (my own experience). If that doesn't solve it then throw some Rotella T6 or Valvoline Extreme Blue in 5W40 flavours in and see if that helps.

My titan is a bit noisy and always had a slight drivers side tick even from day 1 considering its a DOHC 32V engine a tiny bit of noise is really good.

Im hard on this truck in that I tow a lot of weight up hills in the desert most specifically the j2807 hill as I go to the desert lakes for boat tests often.

I loaned the truck to a friend for a significant period of time and he did an oil and filter change using Mobil 1 5w-30 EP not something I would have normally ever picked the truck is quieter on this than anything I ever ran- including the 0w40 Id run religiously for years.

UD

Last edited:

My titan is a bit noisy and always had a slight drivers side tick even from day 1 considering its a DOHC 32V engine a tiny bit of noise is really good

Huh?

My Coyote DOHC 32V engine doesn't make any noise at all on anything from Harvest King 5W20 to PP10W30.

To the OP, historically, QS and PZ oils have had good results quieting engines. My old '03 Z71 5.3L ran quietest on Quaker State conventional 5W30.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan

My titan is a bit noisy and always had a slight drivers side tick even from day 1 considering its a DOHC 32V engine a tiny bit of noise is really good

Huh?

What is remotely confusing about that?

UD

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
I have heard redline 5/30 works well, at least when ppl talk about the hemi tick. Idk bc I don't own one

I'm about to see if RL helps valvetrain tick in a 6.2 Ford
Just bought RL 5W-30 a few days ago

I loaned the truck to a friend for a significant period of time and he did an oil and filter change using Mobil 1 5w-30 EP not something I would have normally ever picked the truck is quieter on this than anything I ever ran- including the 0w40 Id run religiously for years.

UD[/quote]

ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

… found Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 to be a quiet oil in my previous (2010) 5.3L …

Nothing … valve train noise was noticeable in my 2015 ecoBoost … and not there in my 2018 L83 pushrod mill

I have never found a oil to quiet piston slap, only maybe a slight difference.
Tried 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40 euro, all the major brands and kirkland brand.
I will be trying shell gas truck next because it did make a difference in my daughters jeep but not expecting any merricles

Back