would you add an additional transmission cooler?

I would keep the transmission oil cooler and add an engine oil cooler if it doesn't already have one. That 4.8 will be reving at approximately 3500 RPM when going up grades. My 6.0 is set up from the factory with an auxiliary transmission cooler and an oil cooler built into the rad. You can get all the parts to add the oil cooler but it would be stand alone if you don't already have one.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
I don't see where a bigger pan helps unless you're only using the truck to pull in short bursts, more fluid will take longer to come up to temperature but will just heat soak the same as with a smaller pan when towing a distance.

I agree;

On a related note, folks have talked about the degradation of the ATF when it gets hot - and the notion, then, of changing it more frequently to compensate... fair enough. But what of the elastomers inside of the transmissions... specifically in the valve body. They suffer from heat. So the bottom line is to cool the ATF properly, plumbing the aux. ATF cooler into the OUTLET of the in-rad cooler.

The best arrangement would be with block valves and bypass valve so that in wintertime the whole aux. cooler could be bypassed. I know that, yes, some folks tow in winter, too... That'd be a judgement call. The ATF temp should, of course, be measured with a bung on the side of the pan. It is bulk ATF temp you want... not the temp OUT to the cooler(s), or the temp back from the cooler(s).

I think A/T's generally like to run at 175F... and excursions once in a while, say, up a sustained hill, to 190F probably are not a 'real issue.

Plumbing the aux. cooler downstream of the in-rad cooler loop has the benefit of having the ATF get up to the proper operating temp - 175F - faster than if a person were to run them in parallel. ATF should not be run too cold... hence the notion of NOT having the aux. cooler in wintertime. Seems to me that TruCool DOES have an arrangement (I don't know how effective) that internally their cooler bypasses the stacked-plate portion of their cooler when the ATF is more viscous... i.e. when cold - to stave off some of the over-cooling issue in wintertime. Still, I like the idea of bypass valves.

Originally Posted by MrTruckDriver
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Are you running synthetic fluid? 190 is no big deal for synthetic.

im running that mobil dexron vi synthetic blend. i think the short answer is no lol.

No. 190F isn't hot for DEXRON VI is actually in the operation temperature range. Just change it at the GM severe service interval.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Plumbing the aux. cooler downstream of the in-rad cooler loop has the benefit of having the ATF get up to the proper operating temp - 175F - faster than if a person were to run them in parallel...

Actually, having said this, I imagine it depends... I had better think this through. In any case normally it's done in series, not in parallel.

I don't see where a bigger pan helps unless you're only using the truck to pull in short bursts, more fluid will take longer to come up to temperature but will just heat soak the same as with a smaller pan when towing a distance.

Slightly more surface area to dissipate heat . And , it probably would stick down a little lower . Possibly more into the " stream of air " ? Think I have seen pans , in the literature , that have cooling fins , also ?
The extra volume of ATF can not hurt anything and I am guessing will help some . Even if just a small amount . Seems like it would extend ( a little ) the amount of time before the ATF has to make another " trip " through the transmission and ATF cooling system ? If so , would give it a little more time to cool off , in the pan ?

Plumbing the aux. cooler downstream of the in-rad cooler loop has the benefit of having the ATF get up to the proper operating temp - 175F - faster than if a person were to run them in parallel...

Actually, having said this, I imagine it depends... I had better think this through. In any case normally it's done in series, not in parallel.

The ones I have hooked up , rightly or wrongly , have been in series .

im running that mobil dexron vi synthetic blend. i think the short answer is no lol.

Were it me , I think I would consider transitioning to 100% Dexron 6 .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Were it me , I think I would consider transitioning to 100% Dexron 6 .

Why?

with my current set up the atf goes through the cooler in the radiator then the 25 row stacked plate cooler.
If i add another 19 row stacked plate cooler after those 2 i wonder if that would lower pressure in the system?

the other thing is will all that volume would the trans be starved for oil on start up?

the reason i installed a cooler with a fan was because the temps where getting too high driving slowly up hills for hours at a time (logging roads).

i think the fan and shroud probably reduce airflow at faster speeds.

with my current set up the atf goes through the cooler in the radiator then the 25 row stacked plate cooler.
If i add another 19 row stacked plate cooler after those 2 i wonder if that would lower pressure in the system?

the other thing is will all that volume would the trans be starved for oil on start up?

the reason i installed a cooler with a fan was because the temps where getting too high driving slowly up hills for hours at a time (logging roads).

If I may,

What exactly is the problem you are experiencing or the outcome you are desiring or the situation you are attempting to avoid?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Slightly more surface area to dissipate heat . And , it probably would stick down a little lower . Possibly more into the " stream of air " ? Think I have seen pans , in the literature , that have cooling fins , also ?
The extra volume of ATF can not hurt anything and I am guessing will help some . Even if just a small amount . Seems like it would extend ( a little ) the amount of time before the ATF has to make another " trip " through the transmission and ATF cooling system ? If so , would give it a little more time to cool off , in the pan ?

I don't know what it's like under the specific truck but didn't the OP say something about the exhaust being pretty close to the existing pan, wouldn't putting the pan closer to the exhaust possibly expose it to higher temperatures, a standard style transmission pan won't gain much surface area by making it deeper, and the pans with fins are super expensive because of the machining involved they're mostly for show they might have some cooling benefit but if cooling were the main concern you'd probably gain more rigging in a second external transmission cooler which costs a lot less than a fancy aftermarket pan.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

If I may,

What exactly is the problem you are experiencing or the outcome you are desiring or the situation you are attempting to avoid?

mainly its the first time ive seen the trans get to 190 and the ambient temperature was only around 60F.
I'm assuming I'll need more cooling. I've read the 4l60s are pretty weak.

mainly its the first time ive seen the trans get to 190 and the ambient temperature was only around 60F.

You already have supplemental cooling and it still hit 190? (am I reading this right?)

Bigger pan allows for more time in active circulation... Equals more cooling due to higher volume.

Clinebarger has done this in combination with changing internal parts on a transmission has well.

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

You already have supplemental cooling and it still hit 190? (am I reading this right?)

correct. I was pulling about 4500 pounds going up hill at about 30 mph.

Originally Posted by bbhero
What may well be more helpful is getting a bigger transmission oil pan too... Adding 2 quarts of extra transmission oil could really help cool the operating temp.

Clinebarger on here recommends this and one or two other changes that really good and helpful with cooling transmissions like yours.

That wasn't me, Most extra capacity pans don't locate the filter properly. I've dropped several with the filter laying in the bottom of the pan. Some have "Stand off" ribs & some have filter extensions which is better than just hoping the filter stays in place.

Tru-cool LPD coolers are the best I've found & what I recommend. But Derale & B&M stacked plate coolers work well also.

Hmmmm....

I read from I guess someone on here who did work on a transmission like this or really similar to this one...

Added a slightly bigger transmission oil pan...

Changed internal parts ( 2 parts in fact) ... that worked better than OEM parts in the GM transmission came with...

And that with all that done the transmission was better for it.

There are factory Shallow & Deep pan 4L60E's, Fullsize trucks have had deep pans since the late 90's. The 4L60E is the Jeep Wrangler of the transmission world....Every part is upgradable
grin.gif

Last edited:
Back