2018 Lincoln Navigator engine misfire...bad left bank catalytic converter

While I was driving I felt a heavy shudder and noticed the engine light blinking. A blinking engine light means engine misfire and immediately pullover and shutdown. Before I could do anything it went away as suddenly as it came. Use ForScan and code not stored.

I believe its the left bank catalytic converter clogged or failing. On cold start the left cat sounds like it has sand in it. The rubber hammer test you can hear something shaking inside. This cat has melted down.

Will drop off at dealer soon on Tuesday...truck is now at 113000 miles.

The Ford tech talks about this in depth.

Common with a few makes and models over the years, too bad its not still warrantied, 8/80 and its a big $$ item. That being said ask if there is an extended warranty on this as it may have been a known issue and they are covering it.

My truck came with a 4 year 150k warranty. Thus March 2022 or 150k miles is when its up. Anyone who buys a Ford Ecoboost anything needs an extended warranty. Absolutely essential. .

So far the work done on my Navigator under warranty is now a book of paperwork.

How many miles are on it? I seem to remember you posting on here before regarding the cam phasers needing to be replaced. Was this engine misfiring at anytime?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
IIRC you had more issues with a Suburban/Yukon/Escalade??

I bet Navi's fuel savings alone on the EB over a big GM SUV would pay for another one (IMO one of GM's only real weaknesses other than AFM). The extended warranty on a complex Ford is always a good purchase!

While there are some exceptions I dont think its possible to get American cars to 100k miles without something going. The Sububan/Escalade/Yukon have their share of problems such as transmission going, condenser going and quite a few things.

The one main difference with Ford is they have a 150k transferable warranty. They probably have something like this on the GM side, but the big warranty is part of Fords culture. Buy that warranty and make it their problem not yours.

If you really value a reliable car then Toyota Hybrid or 4 cylinder. Gold standard of reliability. Over here they get Camry Hybrida to 300k without a lot of issues. As for American cars it can be challenging.

Last edited:
Just got word from the dealership. Its really a bad fuel injector and not the catalytic converter. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership because of the strong smell of gasoline.

The reason I make these posts is to document my troubles with the Ecoboost so others know whats going on. GM/Chevy trucks have their own share of problems too. Like I said if you want something thats 100k+ mile reliable I have to point you to Toyota. GM and Ford is not the place to look for 100k+ mile no problem vehicles.

Originally Posted by Navi
Just got word from the dealership. Its really a bad fuel injector and not the catalytic converter. I had the vehicle towed to the dealership because of the strong smell of gasoline.

The reason I make these posts is to document my troubles with the Ecoboost so others know whats going on. GM/Chevy trucks have their own share of problems too. Like I said if you want something thats 100k+ mile reliable I have to point you to Toyota. GM and Ford is not the place to look for 100k+ mile no problem vehicles.

As one of the resident Toyota fanboi's I'm am dubious of this claim--too many high mile GM, Ford and even Dodge(!) examples. And too many failed Toyota frames.

While there are some exceptions I dont think its possible to get American cars to 100k miles without something going. The Sububan/Escalade/Yukon have their share of problems such as transmission going, condenser going and quite a few things.

The one main difference with Ford is they have a 150k transferable warranty. They probably have something like this on the GM side, but the big warranty is part of Fords culture. Buy that warranty and make it their problem not yours.

If you really value a reliable car then Toyota Hybrid or 4 cylinder. Gold standard of reliability. Over here they get Camry Hybrida to 300k without a lot of issues. As for American cars it can be challenging.

120K miles on my dad's 2010 Ford Escape V6. Needed only a blower motor resistor before 100K miles (easy job at home). After 115K, has only needed a window regulator (done at dealer), new windshield washer hoses and nozzles (done at dealer) and a purge solenoid (done at home). That's it. Everything else has been routine maintenance (oil changes, fluids, filters, brakes, batteries, wipers, tires.)

60K miles on my mom's 2013 Toyota Highlander V6. Just routine maintenance, and now that it is 7 years old some interior rattles/creaks.

Any car, regardless of manufacturer, can have issues. They are manufactured products made up of thousands of components. None are perfect.

The boxy Ford Escape is known as a very reliable vehicle in the NYC taxi industry and of Toyota quality. It is a vehicle they made right. So there are exceptions. I dont know about new aerodynamic Escape though.

I disagree, Every domestic vehicle I've bought new has been very reliable......Except for one.

1985 C20 Suburban, Bought new by my mother.....Over 300,000 before engine replacement
1987 Monte Carlo TBI 4.3L, My first new car, Totaled before 200,000.
1996 Pontiac Bonneville, Over 300,000 before selling it.
1997 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6BT, Traded it in at @ 320,000
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins ISB, POS LEMON, Traded @ 97,000
2006 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, Currently @ 430,000

I've bought 2 Japanese vehicles new, A 1993 Honda Accord & a 2010 Toyota Corolla, The Honda was a disaster & had the trans replaced 3 times by the dealer. The Corolla has been better but expected better given the reputation.

All the trucks you mentioned are the 3/4 ton variety built to be heavier duty than the 1/2 ton variety. 2500...F250...etc..are known to be a lot more reliable than their 1/2 ton version. That is one of the exceptions.

The Bonneville and Monte Carlo came before all the different fuel savings tricks of today. Thus I could picture them being more reliable.

Honda's reliability is down these days as stated in Consumer Reports. The Corolla is very reliable, cheap to repair, easy to park and gets great mpg...but thats about it. Its basically an econo box ideal for getting around town and the commute but beyond that not really good for much else.

I would suggest the Lexus 300H. Great gas mileage, ride, comfort and style. Although not a fast car its quick. If you want cheaper Toyota Camry Hybrid. These look and feel like real cars and get Corolla like mpg. The problem with Corollas and Priuses is they dont seem like a real car. They are smallish, slow and dont have much style. I would go for Camry Hybrid/Avalon Hybrid/ES300H...

Last edited:
Back