Inherited 2014 Civic Si. Help needed

It shift poorly, like the synchros are fighting back. I don't think the MTF has been changed. I'm looking to upgrade to Amsoil or Redline.

Amsoil says it takes Manual Syncromesh 5W-30 fluid.

Redline says it takes MT-LV. Which is a 70/75 weight gear oil.

Can some help me out please? How can the weights be that far off?

Not changing MTF will not cause that.

The wrong fluid or mechanical issue will. Before you drop money on a expensive fluid just use what is spec'ed cheapest stuff and see if makes any difference.

Originally Posted by Poohbah
How can the weights be that far off?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I'd use Redline in that car.

It is a red car! 🙂

Honda says you can use motor oil in place of their MTF

Some Honda people like GM Synchromesh and Pennzoil Synchromesh

If your synchros are not too badly worn, switching to a synthetic gear oil should help some. It's worked for me in the past. But you don't need a boutique gear oil. Valvoline, Pennzoil or Mobil will do fine. I've used Shell Spirax Synthetic. Your owners manual calls for Honda fluid with no mention of viscosity. Call your local dealer to see what viscosity they use.

I'll help.Just give it to me. I keep Hondas running forever. Its summer so you could try MT90 from Redline. Its kinda more of a track lube but if it relieved some of the issues than it will let you know you are on borrowed time and probably need some mechanical repairs. I've used MTL but I think the MT90 is a better choice in your situation but in winter the MTL or MTL75 is the way.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
If your synchros are not too badly worn, switching to a synthetic gear oil should help some. It's worked for me in the past. But you don't need a boutique gear oil. Valvoline, Pennzoil or Mobil will do fine. I've used Shell Spirax Synthetic. Your owners manual calls for Honda fluid with no mention of viscosity. Call your local dealer to see what viscosity they use.

Pennzoil Synchromesh is $10 a quart and approved for Honda manual transmissions.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Not changing MTF will not cause that. The wrong fluid or mechanical issue will. Before you drop money on a expensive fluid just use what is spec'ed cheapest stuff and see if makes any difference.

What he said. Put in the correct Honda MTF first and run it a bit so you know how it behaves with the right fluid before experimenting with anything else.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Honda says you can use motor oil in place of their MTF

Only as a temporary replacement.

Back