Aprons

Does anybody use a shop apron when messing around with stuff? Wife is getting tired of trying to get various grease stains out of my clothes when I decide to step out into the garage for a this-or-that scenario. I see a lot of nice options including a cordura apron from Mechanix as well as a canvas Dickies brand. Of course, Park tool (bicycle shop tools) makes one in that same price range but I don't believe its anywhere near as nice.

I suppose any basic couple of pockets would be more than adequate but I'm concerned about fit being a bigger guy. Any experience others can pass down?

Originally Posted by Marco620
Good idea. You dont want to upset the laundry lady. I'd just find older clothes to wear.

True, and easy solution. I just don't like to change my clothes multiple times a day!

I have an old Denim shop apron I wear when using the grinding or wire wheel. I keep it near the wheels for that purpose.

Pro tip: if the straps go around back and then all the way to the front, tie them around your waist UNDER the apron. That way, the grinding wheel can't grab them and reel them in.

I'm a semi mechanic by trade. I switch clothes at home when needed. I'm issued uniforms at work. I'm required to wear a rubber apron and face shield when changing batteries.
I'd rather switch clothes than wear an apron.
Planning things out works for me. If I'm changing the oil on my car, I tend to schedule it on a work day, keep my work clothes on and do it as soon as I get home from work.

I wear a Dickie's apron when building transmissions, An apron is about useless when doing general automotive repair. Dickie or Redcap work clothes don't hold automotive fluids or stain like cotton does.

Old blue jeans and shirt. After the task, I spray Shout on the dirty ares and wash them together with plenty of liquid detergent including the pre-soak. If the weather is decent I throw them on the rail and avoid using the dryer. I've never dirtied up the clothes washer drum. I'll use coveralls if it's cold.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
when I worked at a cabinet shop when younger , I wore one when staining wood...even had a longer one that went almost to my boots,,,sure kept clothes clean

Back