need new group 65 for my F-150, here's my choices:

1. Walmart Maxx (11/19) (99.00)( manufacture date
2. Sams Club duracell AGM 11/19 (169.00), standard duracell 6/20 (103.00) (It;'s from the future!)
3. Costco interstate 5/20 (99.00)

Which and why?

Standard Duracell from Sam's.... 3 year free replacement warranty is a good deal with a $103 price tag. Like you said it's East Penn made and...Even better... More than new and improved... It's from the future.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by irad
Walmart valuepower 65 $55.

+2, I have these in all my trucks. Had to mod the tray in a couple, but will fit an F150 properly.

Look for the EP serial number prefix if you have a choice.

Originally Posted by irad
Walmart valuepower 65 $55.

Everything is anecdotal when it comes to batteries, but I haven't had super good success with those Super Value batteries. It seems like they really don't like to be deeply discharged.

I bought a group 65 for an old Ford work truck. At six months old, I accidentally left the head lights on over night and after that it would not charge up with two dead cells. Walmart was nice enough to replace it, though. The replacement is has hung on for a bit more than a year, but I don't have high hopes for it's longevity. My brother put one in a 04 Grand Cherokee. He had to replace it after about a year and a half. He didn't drive it for 2 months and said it wouldn't charge up to 12 volts, so I'm assuming it had a bad cell.

I've had decent luck with the Costco Kirkland/Interstate batteries with the several that I've purchased over the years lasting well past the warranty date. Probably 5 to 7 years on average. I have a group 35 one of my vehicles that is 5 years old. I bought a carbon pile tester for myself for Christmas and checked all my batteries with it and that 5 year old Interstate puts out pretty close to it's rated cranking amps still.

Stay away from #1 and #2, they have been on the shelf for 7 mos. he batteries are always made the month before the sticker. I would go with #3 because of the warranty and its the freshest.

I'd go to another Wal-Mart and find a fresher #1. Otherwise suck it up and pay the extra $4 for the standard Duracell from Sams.

No need for AGM and I'm not thrilled wi5h recent JCI.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I'd go to another Wal-Mart and find a fresher #1. Otherwise suck it up and pay the extra $4 for the standard Duracell from Sams.

I was a little surprised that for such a popular application I could only find such an old stock date on both the Maxx and Duracell standard.

That's what I would do also.
Last wallymart battery I bought I just went around to the back of the rack where they feed in the fresh ones.
Two months old vs six or seven.

Originally Posted by Fattylocks

That's what I would do also.
Last wallymart battery I bought I just went around to the back of the rack where they feed in the fresh ones.
Two months old vs six or seven.

Each Walmart and Sam's I've been to I've had my daughter stick her head in thh G e rack and look. Usually that will yield a fresher one. This time all the same.

So if I go for a std Duracell at Sam's look for the EP serial?

Also any difference in ease of warranty use between Sam's and Walmart?

My problem is a little more involved when I face that costco is 100 miles away - but we go there about twice a month (the city - St Louis Mo), Walmart is 3 miles away and Sams Club is either 23 miles or 41 miles. I'm really trying to lean towards the Duracell (6/20) at Sams Club.

I bought the Walmart EverStart MAXX last October for my 2007 F150 (5.4 liter 3V) and its been fine thus far...when I did my checks for the usual suspects, Walmart was the least expensive by a few bucks as I was leaning towards an Interstate from Costco (same battery manufacture, same warranty but merely for superior customer service from Costco)...my batter is marked Johnson Controls...

good luck with your choice...

Bill

Last edited:
Back