Transmission temp help!

My question is in regards to the transmission over heat light on my 2010 dodge ram. My trans temp got up to 275 and the light came on while towing, we turned tow haul mode on. ( it was accidentally left off) and everything was good and appears to be no adverse effects to the tranny. My mechanic told me as long as I pulled over when the light came on to let it cool its fine because thats the way dodge designed the warning system. Yet some people say once the lights on its done permanent damage already. Which is it? After driving all the way back home towing the same load tranny was fine. (Between 190-210 deg) depending on hilly or flat terrain. As well as driving with no load shifting just as good as it ever did. I checked the tranny fluid on the dip stick it doesn't smell burnt in any way and looks brand new. No sign of brownng or nothing. Whats everyones opinions? Like I said once the temp light came on I pulled over within 30 seconds and let it cool.

Last edited:
How does the trans oil look if you wipe the dipstick on a white paper towel? Today's oils aren't the oils of the 1960's and 1970's

It's a warning system for a reason. Meaning take immediate action or damage will be done. You took immediate action thus no immediate damage was done. If you want a 3rd opinion take it to another mechanic and you could service the transmission but I would not worry.

it's possible you reduced the lifespan of the transmission and there is no way to tell. I would add a transmission cooler.

I would do a the $275.00 transmission fluid exchange. I did it to my 2014 Ford F-150. It doesn't have a dipstick. I towed my heavy Lund Tyee GrandSport
150 miles each way yesterday and ran 80 mph all the way. The highest the tranny temp got to was 208. I have the manual option where I can lock it in any gear and it has 6 forward gears. I keep it locked in 5th gear all the way while going into the wind. With the wind on my back I can keep in in 6th gear most of the time except for a few hills on the way. I definitely would change that fluid. I ran my Corvette today on a 100 mile trip and it only got to 195 degrees tops. For about $275 or less I would do a flush and new filter.

Here is the tranny fluid off dip stick

Well I'm not able to get the pic to upload but it's red/pink no browning.

Some people say I may have done damage bit I don't know why dodge would design the system to go off at a temp that damage can occur? Seems pretty stupid to me.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 2
Last edited:
Originally Posted by zx6rsi
"Yet some people say once the lights on its done permanent damage already".

welcome2.gif

Then what would be the purpose of the Dash Light ?
Looks to me like you took the correct action.

Last edited:
The transmission life span you can expect is the same as it was before.

The transmission fluid life span may have taken a hit, but only a small one, if any at all IMHO.

If this is a 1 off occurrence then you are probably fine mechanically but I would recommend a fluid change.

I would investigate how and why it ran that hot to begin with

From what I heard the trans was trying to shift as if it wasn't towing a load and it was also using 6th gear while going up hills. Tow haul makes the transmission hold gears longer and not work so hard trying to find the perfect gear

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
You took 50000 miles off of it's life. http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

I'm not confident that chart is completely accurate any more with today's semi and full synthetic fluids. Modern fluids are more oxidatively stable than the old Dexron/Mercon was. Also, if you notice it says "average" temperatures. The OP has not been running at 275f constantly, just for that one trip. It's not likely he took 50K off the transmission's lifespan.

That said, I like to change transmission fluid more often than the factory recommends because why not? I think the OP's truck probably calls for 60K transmission service intervals. Might be a good time to do a drain and fill, even if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Originally Posted by Rand
why did it overheat? not like tow haul mode magically makes another fan blow.

Towing mode changes the transmissions shifting and torque converter lockup strategies to reduce the number of heat generating shifts and torque converter lock/unlock cycles. I'm not that familiar with the Chrysler truck transmissions, but it probably also increases coast clutch or similar mechanisms to increase the ability of the engine to slow the vehicle while coasting down hill, too.

Also, a 2010 Ram probably has an electric ECM controlled cooling fan so it is pretty likely that towing mode does indeed increase the duty cycle of the fan for increased cooling.

32.gif
Seems like maybe the dodge engineers should have the trans change into "nearly tow mode" when the temp hits 240 or so whether the driver wants it or not. Whatever it takes, firmer shifts, better cooling, whatever.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I would do a the $275.00 transmission fluid exchange. I did it to my 2014 Ford F-150. It doesn't have a dipstick. I towed my heavy Lund Tyee GrandSport
150 miles each way yesterday and ran 80 mph all the way. The highest the tranny temp got to was 208. I have the manual option where I can lock it in any gear and it has 6 forward gears. I keep it locked in 5th gear all the way while going into the wind. With the wind on my back I can keep in in 6th gear most of the time except for a few hills on the way. I definitely would change that fluid. I ran my Corvette today on a 100 mile trip and it only got to 195 degrees tops. For about $275 or less I would do a flush and new filter.

Why?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...as-a-function-of-temperature#Post3707886

I would drop the pan and change the fluid to Red Line and change the filter. If you use regular ATF+4 I would add some Lube-Rard to it. I would also add a cooler in series if you plan a lot of hauling. I would do a fluid/filter change every 50k miles regardless what the owners manual says the interval is. Fluid and filters are cheap.

Last edited:
Dodge may have changed the service interval but my 03 calls for 30k mile trans service. The Tow/Haul in older ones like mine actually locks OD out completely. My newer 2014 GM 3500 changes the shift points and goes into lock up even in lower gears if it senses hard pulls rather than unlocked in the next higher gear. It also has a manual mode that lets you lock out any of the upper gears. If I knew I had overheated the transmission I would do a pan drop and fluid change no matter what the fluid looked like. The Temp did not go from normal to overheat in an instant but over an extended period, there is no telling how long it ran at just under the warning level. The red dye is in good shape but you dont know about the additive package.

I'd swap out the fluid and the filter. Overkill to some, but transmissions aren't cheap, and getting a good rebuilt unit if that one should fail can be a daunting task.

Back