The BITOG forum fascination with zero weights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh because they can use a 0w and it's no big deal...

lol.gif

Well that and the "better" oils typically are say a 0w30 or 0w40 or 0w20... Mobil 1 0w40 carries many high level approvals like Porsche a40 and MB 229.5 etc etc...

I see that your question is more focused on those in hot climates, but I use 0W-20 in my 5W-20 spec vehicles because I'll take whatever help I can get for cold starts at -40°C.

As for warmer climates, I would suggest that if one can get comparable protection from a 0W-20 at operating temperatures (as compared to 5W-20), then why not take advantage of improved flow at startup? On the other hand, if running 0W-20 costs you an appreciable amount of protection at operating temps, then 0W-20 wouldn't make sense.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Ahh because they can use a 0w and it's no big deal...

True in properly designed engines. Not so in others, Ford, GM, Hyundai/Kia, BMW, Honda and a few others come to mind.

I can't think of a Ford or GM motor where a 0w would hurt a thing....

A 0w30 or 0w20 say in a Ford Fusion 3.0 would not do anything wrong with it...

Only thing a 0w means is it is thinner at very cold temps.... Which would be beneficial for any vehicle if it were truly very cold out.

The operating temp like a 20 operation viscosity may well not be the best with some very old vehicles. Like +20 year vehicles. Ok I can agree with that.

Let's say a 1993 Ford ranger which speced a 5w30 from the owners manual...
If someone put a 0w30 in it... That Ford Ranger would be just fine. .

Last edited:
I just use what's easily obtainable and in spec. When I lived in Mississippi I used Edge 0w40 in my old MK5 Jetta. Didn't need the 0w, but it was the most affordable and easily obtainable oil that I was able to get. Same situation with the SLK, while it gets colder here in PA and MD, 0w is not needed since it's a summer car. Again the 0w40 is easily obtainable...

Only thing a 0w means is it is thinner at very cold temps.... Which would be beneficial for any vehicle if it were truly very cold out.

The operating temp like a 20 operation viscosity may well not be the best with some very old vehicles. Like +20 year vehicles. Ok I can agree with that.

How about a 6.4l diesel? Prolly should not put it in that.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I'm puzzled with the obsession towards retro-adding 0Wxx oils, especially by people with California, Arizona, etc in their profiles.
Please explain.

Retro-adding? Please explain.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Not talking about diesels...

Easy enough.....

Last edited:
New mid engine corvette specs 0w40 can't see much winter driving in them their engineers must also be obsessed with zero weight oils?? Don't know

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I'm puzzled with the obsession towards retro-adding 0Wxx oils, especially by people with California, Arizona, etc in their profiles.
Please explain.

Retro-adding? Please explain.

Quattro Pete, seriously?
34.gif
Even I know that one. Actually, I think it is a perfect description. Just tilt your head a little to the right and wink with your left eye.

Retro Diner, Backwards compatible, etc.

Last edited:
Please explain.

My 09' Camry specs 0w20 oil. What's wrong with that?'

Please explain.

What's even more puzzling is those obsessed with making a big deal about 0w oils being used in AZ, CA, TX, etc...
We all know it's just no big deal. None whatsoever.

So why obsess on it to the point that you'd start a thread to discuss the topic?
It's just no big deal.
At all.

Easy enough.....

There are numerous 0w-40 HD Diesel oils on the market. As long as the engine has the OEM's approval, it's appropriate for use. Delvac 1 0w-40 immediately comes to mind.

Imp4: yeah, this topic has been hashed and rehashed so much lately I just shake my head. Wonder what the OP thinks of my work using 0w20 in new GM, Ford, Toyota's and EVENoh gasp! A VW that requires it! OMG
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Please explain.

First and foremost, it isn't a "zero weight", it's the 0 Winter designation, which simply indicates that it passes the CCS and MRV requirements at -35C and -40C respectively to be qualified as such.

Oils blended to meet the 0W-xx winter designation typically consist of higher quality base oils to meet that qualification while still being able to properly do their job for their SAE grade, be a 20, 30, 40...etc. A good historic example was Castrol's 5w-40 versus their 0w-40. The 5w-40 had zero PAO, higher volatility and generally just worse specs, including fewer OEM approvals than the 0w-40, which was ~50% PAO.

Mobil's 0w-20 products have higher concentrations of PAO across the board versus the 5w-20 products, as yet another example.

While a 5w-20 and a 0w-20 blended the same will result in a heavier base oil blend for the 5w-20 and thus require a lower VII treat rate, they are almost never blended the same. Instead, less expensive bases are used to blend the oil with the less demanding Winter rating and so quite often the VII treat rate is the same or even higher.

Starting with European cars, the 0w-40 grade became somewhat ubiquitous in the OEM performance car scene. Carrying Porsche A40, BMW LL-01, Nissan GT-R, Mercedes AMG...etc This was later extended to domestic offerings where Mobil 1 0w-40 was the factory and service fill for all Chrysler SRT vehicles, later replaced by Pennzoil SRT 0w-40 after the FIAT merger. the 840HP Demon spec's 0w-40. GM went the same route with the Corvette, now spec'ing a 0w-40, which shouldn't surprise anyone, as they were using Mobil 1 0w-40 in their Race Program Corvettes for years. Mobil 1 0w-40 was used by numerous factory race teams from Porsche, Mercedes...etc at the 24hr races as indicated by member Doug Hillary who was quite involved with the scene, not sure if he still is.

The Euro 0w-40's have historically contained higher levels of AW additives as well, which has made them somewhat universal in their appropriateness. It was my go to oil for modified SBF's for example and I run it my Can-Am Outlander Max 1000R as well as our boats.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Easy enough.....

There are numerous 0w-40 HD Diesel oils on the market. As long as the engine has the OEM's approval, it's appropriate for use. Delvac 1 0w-40 immediately comes to mind.

Yeah I know... Shell has a 0w40 diesel oil... I actually saw that at Advance Auto parts. Surprised me a bit they actually had that.

The main context of this seemed to be gasoline engines... Not diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back