Walmart & batteries

The almost 4 yr old Panasonic battery in wife's Crosstrek finally crapped out. At a whopping 390 CCA my first thought was to replace it with some "D" cell batteries. Wife wanted a real car battery however.

Went to a MA Walmart for a group 35. The middle priced one had a 9/19 date so I went with the high end Maxx with a 4/20 build date.

So this Walmart has closed it's auto service service area and that entrance. Unsure if that is state wide or Walmart wide. The normal register will not accept core but the customer service will although I doubt that they look forward to it.

But the big issue is warranty. There is no one to check if your old battery is bad or not. Customer service?? But warranty is a legal contract between you and Walmart and they cannot say sorry no warranty during the virus. I was not there for warranty, but noted it.

New battery was an East Penn.

And note to self, open electric hatchback where new battery is BEFORE you disconnect old battery or you will be reconnecting old battery to open hatchback to get new battery.

All used batteries go to customer service here. There is no service dept at our super Walmart.
If the new battery is protected from the elements, just tape the receipt to the top of the battery and it will be there if you need warranty.

Originally Posted by JohnG
All used batteries go to customer service here. There is no service dept at our super Walmart.
If the new battery is protected from the elements, just tape the receipt to the top of the battery and it will be there if you need warranty.

How is a Walmart battery warranty done? Does customer service have a battery tester?

About a week ago and mainly out of curiosity, I walked past the automotive section at the nearest WM store. I had previously read in the news that they had closed all the TLE departments nationwide, but it looked like this was back to being open.
I noticed that they had taken away all of their $49 (or did the price now go up?) batteries and they were no longer stocked anywhere in the store.

How is a Walmart battery warranty done? Does customer service have a battery tester?

I've never had a battery replaced under their warranty, but I'm sure they have a system.

IF they have a battery tester, it's probably used about the same as AAP or any other store. As long as it's dead they don't really care, they just replace it under pro rated numbers. My neighbor does it all the time. Instead of hooking up a charger, he'd rather just get one replaced under warranty. It's quick, but not always accurate.

Let's face it. They are not going to take the time to put it on a charger, let it charge, then load test it. If it's dead, it's dead.

Skip Walmart and go to Interstate if you want the customer service and a good battery. Otherwise, absent a receipt, the date code on the battery is used for warranty purposes.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Skip Walmart and go to Interstate if you want the customer service and a good battery. Otherwise, absent a receipt, the date code on the battery is used for warranty purposes.

Interstate is just a battery distributor just like Walmart but I'm sure Interstate will charge you more than Walmart. People's feet/wallets have spoken, they'd rather just get a cheaper battery and deal with Walmart.

Last time I need the warranty at WM, I just went to a WM without Car Service Center.
I just showed her the label and old receipt and she ring me up with a credit and a new battery.
It was less than 36 months.
They did not test or anything.

It took a little time but it all worked out, just be patient because she had to call a CS Manager.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnG

I tried that once and the paper turned completely black due to heat. They use thermal paper. Best deal is to take a picture on your phone and store it on google drive or whatever.

tried that once and the paper turned completely black due to heat. They use thermal paper. Best deal is to take a picture on your phone and store it on google drive or whatever.

Well that's really a good idea. But I did say protected, like my Cadillac battery which was under the passenger side rear seat. I do agree that they use thermal paper and really never thought about heat from the sun turning the paper black. I can see that happening.

Thanks

how did you determine your Walmart battery is an East Penn made one...was it the case???...I've bought two in the last 12-14 months and they appeared to be Johnson Controls but I do know they have given up on battery manufacture...

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
how did you determine your Walmart battery is an East Penn made one...was it the case???...I've bought two in the last 12-14 months and they appeared to be Johnson Controls but I do know they have given up on battery manufacture...

Bill

Johnson Controls sold their battery division, technically they still make batteries, just different owners now.

Bill

The product sticker on the battery starts with EP...

And the battery case is that exact same one East Penn uses has well..

thanks...I am more curious how it was determined that Walmart batteries were made by East Penn...appreciate your response though

BBHero...thanks for that...I'll have to recheck the two I've bought in the last 12 months as I thought when I researched they were another manufacturer...'preciate that

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero

Bill

The product sticker on the battery starts with EP...

And the battery case is that exact same one East Penn uses has well..

...thanks again...both I bought within the last 12 months start with JC for Johnson Controls...you've given me something else to look for when making battery purchases...more tools for the toolbox...

Bill

Originally Posted by sloinker

My walmart scans the barcode on the battery.
The code is scanned when you buy it and that is what puts it in their system.
I did not need a receipt on my last one because they just scanned the battery itself and it pulled up the date of purchase.

My blazer is the same way. A dead battery won't let you open the hatch. I'll never learn though.

I would hope their same warranty standards would apply given the situation. The WM I bought mine from couldn't care less about the rules. They said if there was an issue, they'd do an exchange for me. I imagine this is store specific though.

Last edited:
Back