Need Emergency Tire

For my 2010 Acura MDX. Nail a good inch in from sidewall. Got it plugged but thinking about trying to find a replacement tire before I get on the interstate to drive 70 mph for 5 hours. Looks like only tire available will be from Walmart...brands I never heard of. After I get home, my plan is to buy a full size rim and use new off-brand as spare and buy a new Bridgestone to exactly replace the repaired tire. Beggars can't be choosers, but if Walmart has more than one brand in my size, which one is the best?

Other alternative is to drive home on plugged tire. Unlike the RMA, I consider plugs a permanent repair. Have driven on plugged tires for many many decades and never had a problem. This one concerns me only because it is borderline close to sidewall.

Thanks to all, especially our Vets on Memorial Day.

Last edited:
Don't know...they are closed until Tuesday. Heck, maybe they don't have my size. Lexani, Fuzion and Atturo are some of the brands. I was hoping someone familiar with Walmart brands could tell me which are ok and which should be avoided, even in emergency.

I have a plug right on the shoulder that's been there for god-knows-how-long on the truck I just picked up. It's doing fine.

This isn't a motorcycle-- if that corner pops, you're more than likely staying upright.

Are all the other stores really closed? Craigslist? FB marketplace? Buy a used name brand?

Are you sure the tire part of walmart is open? Mine's closed UFN due to [censored]-19.

Are these 255-55r18?

Originally Posted by eljefino
I have a plug right on the shoulder that's been there for god-knows-how-long on the truck I just picked up. It's doing fine.

This isn't a motorcycle-- if that corner pops, you're more than likely staying upright.

Are all the other stores really closed? Craigslist? FB marketplace? Buy a used name brand?

Are you sure the tire part of walmart is open? Mine's closed UFN due to [censored]-19.

Are these 255-55r18?

I am in VA with many stores starting to open. The Walmart in Staunton is closed today and Monday but will be open Tues. Yes, 255/55-18.

I am in VA with many stores starting to open. The Walmart in Staunton is closed today and Monday but will be open Tues. Yes, 255/55-18.

There is a Discount Tire about 10 miles away in Waynesboro, VA that will be open on Tuesday. You should give them a call.

https://www.discounttire.com/store/...MTU0MTYyNzItNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLndlYnNpdGU=

Eavers Tire Pro is a bit closer in Fishersville, VA and may be open on Memorial Day.

https://eaverstirepros.com/

Mr. Tire is also located in Waynesboro and open on Monday.

https://locations.mrtire.com/va/waynesboro/2400-w--main-street.html

Good luck and travel safe!

Last edited:
An inch in from the sidewall? I can't remember how many of mine picked up nails in that area and I fix the plugs Through the years. Never a single problem, not one. A dose of tire Slime alone will typically seal any typical nail hole by itself. Try to find something that is safe for sensors if yours still work if you want to go that route.
Come to think of it I got a nail in that area on my 18 Camray about a year back. It hasn't lost a bit of air ( mine has actual TP readout, very nice) since I plugged it. No slime used because of the sensor either. The only time I've ever seen a plug not work for me long term is if it's worn right to the wear bars. Then all it did was a slow leak.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over a 5 hour tip on a tire I plugged as long as it had a few days driving on it to make sure its ok. Check the pressure a time or two along the way and use common sense and you'll be fine. If the plug still worries you cut your speed a bit, you'll still get there.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Fuzion is a label owned by Bridgestone. It is their "value" brand.

yep and all made in China. Guy i know from work had bought 4 new Fuzions and had 3 with a broken belt within the first week. Only "value" brand i would get is Douglas at Walmart. Any other tire i would be looking at would be the next step up such as Mastercraft, Kelly, ect

Thx to all for responding. I measured with a quarter and repair is a good 1-1/4" in. Logged some good miles at 60-65 plus up/down windy mountain roads. So far, so good. I'll make some calls tomorrow just in case.

Ive plugged many tires, I have yet to see a plug fail, I've only see them fail in bias plys tires those get dismounted and patched up.

Originally Posted by Newman88
Ive plugged many tires, I have yet to see a plug fail, I've only see them fail in bias plys tires those get dismounted and patched up.

????

You've never seen a plug fail, but you've seen them fail in bias ply tires? So which is it??

And just for reference, I've seen many plugs fail (I'm was in a position to be able to see them!) - and of the ones I have done or were done for me, the rate is 50% failure (2 out of 4).

Bad wording on my part, and yes I haven't seen a plug fail in any radial tire Ive plugged. You might have seen many fail because of installer error. This is on my fleet of trucks which consists of 50 trucks, that get punctured frequently in job site areas.

I pulled a trailer with at least 2 plugged tires (295/75R22.5, 100psi) today. They usually seem to work pretty well.

Back