Akebono GG street performance pads back on

Well I got the really good Akebono street performance brake pads that are rated GG back on the front of my car again. Much less dust vs the AAP platinum FF rated brake pads before them. These Akebono pads I have ran before with a very high level of satisfaction and performance. These pads stop really well cold and hot. I got them for $59.99 after a 25 percent off deal from AAP. Well worth getting them again.

I did have to do a very hard stop after a beagle decided to run out in front of my car today on Rte 14 in King and Queen county. Cute dog. Thankfully I stopped in plenty of time. . Glad I had the new pads on the front of the car. My wife wanted to take the dog home... No can do. We have two cats that would not be impressed or pleased.

Did you put the two pads next to each other to make sure that the size of the friction area was the same?

I have found this to be an issue with Akebonos....they tend to be smaller, and this can be a real issue if you are only replacing the pads.

They are the exact same size... No difference in size.

These 815 ASP pads are really legitimate good pads for my car.

I don't believe so... I got a lot of miles out of my rotors with these Akebono GG rated pads. No issues for me and my car.

How would a top tier performance ceramic pad like these Akebono ASP compare to a semi-metallic? Would a semi-metallic still yield higher performance if you didn't care about dust & noise?

Originally Posted by nobb
How would a top tier performance ceramic pad like these Akebono ASP compare to a semi-metallic? Would a semi-metallic still yield higher performance if you didn't care about dust & noise?

I am disappointed with the Akebono street performance GG pads. In my experience; other than being very quiet and smooth, not much stopping power or grab and exhibit fade.
In my opinion, semi-mets with high carbon rotors are the setup for high performance braking. This is what the euro performance cars are equipped with. Centric tech support advised this setup.

Originally Posted by willbur

I am disappointed with the Akebono street performance GG pads. In my experience; other than being very quiet and smooth, not much stopping power or grab and exhibit fade.
In my opinion, semi-mets with high carbon rotors are the setup for high performance braking. This is what the euro performance cars are equipped with. Centric tech support advised this setup.

I have a Genesis Coupe with the OEM Brembo brakes. I recently replaced the pads with the Akebono ASP and I feel like you may be right.

I think the OE pads were semi metallic and stopped better. The only complaint I have with the OE pads was that anytime I washed the car or there was rain, the pads would briefly get stuck to the rotors (from rust) and you'd get a jolt when you first start moving. It was kind of nerve racking when I'm in a tight parking space because it was easy to overpower the car to get started when trying to unbind the pads. Not sure if that's a common symptom of semi metallic pads.

Very opposite of what I have experienced...

Different vehicles... Different brake pad sizes potentially.. different weight of vehicles... And where that vehicle weight is distributed.. different calipers and how well they work or don't work... Different rotors likely too...

These Akebono GG rated pads are way better than the AAP platinum FF rated brake pads... And a fair amount better than the AZ high performance GT brake pads I used has well.

The differences I have mentioned above likely account for what people have observed... And those differences make a big difference to be fair.

If someone finds a combo that works really well for the specific vehicle then it is a very good deal. Nothing wrong with that.

This combo of Akebono GG rated pads and AAP higher level rotors are a good pairing for my application. Even the regular AAP brake rotors paired with the Akebono street performance brake pads worked really well too.

Last edited:
Generally speaking heavy vehicles (trucks) with any type of towing or heavy loading do better with semi metallic. You rarely (I haven't) see a "severe duty" or "fleet" pads in anything else. I have never actually used a ceramic pad but I have my suspicions on how ceramic many of the high performance ceramics actually are. They were initially known for low dust and long life at the expense of fading easier, a trade off that never appealed to me.

Some of the ceramic pads have FF or FG or GG coefficient ratings...

Question I have is just how "much ceramic' is actually in many of those ceramic brake pads??

That is a real question that needs an answer. Which would likely be very hard to find or get.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Very opposite of what I have experienced...

Different vehicles... Different brake pad sizes potentially.. different weight of vehicles... And where that vehicle weight is distributed.. different calipers and how well they work or don't work... Different rotors likely too...

These Akebono GG rated pads are way better than the AAP platinum FF rated brake pads... And a fair amount better than the AZ high performance GT brake pads I used has well.

The differences I have mentioned above likely account for what people have observed... And those differences make a big difference to be fair.

If someone finds a combo that works really well for the specific vehicle then it is a very good deal. Nothing wrong with that.

This combo of Akebono GG rated pads and AAP higher level rotors are a good pairing for my application. Even the regular AAP brake rotors paired with the Akebono street performance brake pads worked really well too.

Glad it works for you. I forgot to add some on here have mentioned these pads leave excessive deposits on rotors. Don't know if that's true but I have noticed a outline of my pads on the rotors-as if it traced by a pencil. I also experienced brake shudder (due to the uneven friction distribution) and resolved this mostly by hard stops. The outline remained and some sanding removed a lot of these stubborn deposits, but not all. Again, these are my experiences on one car and yours are obviously different. These pads work great for most people but next pad change I'm using something different.

Well I got the really good Akebono street performance brake pads that are rated GG back on the front of my car again. Much less dust vs the AAP platinum FF rated brake pads before them. These Akebono pads I have ran before with a very high level of satisfaction and performance. These pads stop really well cold and hot. I got them for $59.99 after a 25 percent off deal from AAP. Well worth getting them again.

I did have to do a very hard stop after a beagle decided to run out in front of my car today on Rte 14 in King and Queen county. Cute dog. Thankfully I stopped in plenty of time. . Glad I had the new pads on the front of the car. My wife wanted to take the dog home... No can do. We have two cats that would not be impressed or pleased.

Akebono Euro line is also GG. It is absolute garbage that I would not recommend my enemy.
Akebono Euro line for BMW M3 is GG, and OE is FF. No one is using Akebono on the track. OE on other hand is already made as track suitable. And Akebono is cheaper, by $100 per axle.

Originally Posted by nobb
Originally Posted by willbur

I have a Genesis Coupe with the OEM Brembo brakes. I recently replaced the pads with the Akebono ASP and I feel like you may be right.

I think the OE pads were semi metallic and stopped better. The only complaint I have with the OE pads was that anytime I washed the car or there was rain, the pads would briefly get stuck to the rotors (from rust) and you'd get a jolt when you first start moving. It was kind of nerve racking when I'm in a tight parking space because it was easy to overpower the car to get started when trying to unbind the pads. Not sure if that's a common symptom of semi metallic pads.

I had Akebono Euro on my VW CC. Took them down after 3000 miles thinking they need longer bedding period. It is awful pad if performance is the goal.
Akebono is popular among Euro owners who are more concerned about dust as it is affordable ceramic pad (ATE and Textar ceramic are far more expensive). But you won't find BMW M3 with Akebono's on the track. Their initial bite is awful, and it is hard to find sweet spot during spirited driving. They are no better in dissipating heat than other pads. Now performance ceramic pads, a true performance ceramic pads are different animal. But they ain't in price range of Akebono.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw

Akebono Euro line is also GG. It is absolute garbage that I would not recommend my enemy.
Akebono Euro line for BMW M3 is GG, and OE is FF. No one is using Akebono on the track. OE on other hand is already made as track suitable. And Akebono is cheaper, by $100 per axle.

Well I don't have no fancy Euro car
lol.gif

Do I have a legitimate answer for the "big" difference between my car vs a European vehicle??

Ahhh no. Just estimate guesses...

Don't truly know why there's such a difference... Maybe... Those Euro pads that are supposedly Akebono are not really made by them... Aka out sourced... Or... Maybe they are truly made by Akebono and they are just poorly manufactured and or use poor quality products/metallurgy in those particular brake pads...

My car has done far, far better with these Akebono street performance GG brake pads...

The AutoZone GT brake pads were some what close to as good as these Akebono street performance brake pads in the beginning of using them. More time miles on them and the gt pads were ok but not as good over time.

Again...

If you find a combination that works really well in your application... Then that is a very good deal...

And that could well be different brand than one may well expect at times.

Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:
Yeah they are just fine size wise.... Not an issue with them or the AZ gt pads, or the AAP platinum pads... The Akebono are the same as the others were.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Well I don't have no fancy Euro car
lol.gif

Do I have a legitimate answer for the "big" difference between my car vs a European vehicle??

Ahhh no. Just estimate guesses...

Don't truly know why there's such a difference... Maybe... Those Euro pads that are supposedly Akebono are not really made by them... Aka out sourced... Or... Maybe they are truly made by Akebono and they are just poorly manufactured and or use poor quality products/metallurgy in those particular brake pads...

My car has done far, far better with these Akebono street performance GG brake pads...

The AutoZone GT brake pads were some what close to as good as these Akebono street performance brake pads in the beginning of using them. More time miles on them and the gt pads were ok but not as good over time.

Again...

If you find a combination that works really well in your application... Then that is a very good deal...

And that could well be different brand than one may well expect at times.

Nothing wrong with that.

Akebono Euro is made by Akebono. It is great seller, and very smart move on AK to provide dustless operation. It sells like crazy.
But talking about performance, they are far behind.
Now, in your application AK might be improvement, but AK is OE for my Sienna, and I got rid of it and put EBC. Excellent improvement.

Back