Slow drivers in fast (left) lane on freeway

Do they even teach this in driving school anymore? Or do they do it simply to annoy other drivers? I had to pass some young guy with a beard laid back with his flat bill ball cap texting doing less than the speed limit on a four lane matching a 18 wheeler next to him. I accelerated and passed on the shoulder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
Do they even teach this in driving school anymore? Or do they do it simply to annoy other drivers? I had to pass some young guy with a beard laid back with his flat bill ball cap texting doing less than the speed limit on a four lane matching a 18 wheeler next to him. I accelerated and passed on the shoulder.

It's mentioned, that's about it. Most people camping the left lane have a "I'm doing the speed limit, I can be in any lane I want!" mentality.

I have noticed people tend to move when I come up behind them in the truck. In the 300 and our van, they couldn't care less and won't move.

i see people riding the left lane a lot ,even when anyone gets behind them to pass they still stay where they are...I don't understand that at all

Was the dude a Zombie or just didn't know it was a cop behind them. Bet he/she needed an underwear change when the lights came on, lol.

Gotta be my home state. I've seen that from time to time. When I was stationed in Puerto Rico years ago nobody actually got lit up. Police used to patrol with their lights on constantly. Often wondered if that practice is followed anywhere else.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Most people camping the left lane have a "I'm doing the speed limit, I can be in any lane I want!" mentality.

This philosophy has many nuances. There are also the people that think "I'm going 17 over the speed limit, anyone going faster is a maniac....

but darn it, I am absolutely perfect, and I should set the bar."

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Most people camping the left lane have a "I'm doing the speed limit, I can be in any lane I want!" mentality.

This philosophy has many nuances. There are also the people that think "I'm going 17 over the speed limit, anyone going faster is a maniac....

but darn it, I am absolutely perfect, and I should set the bar."

+1 lots of people with control issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

+1 lots of people with control issues.

Yup, ridiculous. I've seen people intentionally cut into the fast lane to slow someone down, causing the person to swerve and almost cause an accident.
33.gif
My thoughts are who cares what speed they are going, let the speeders find the cops first. Cutting in front of them only puts you and everyone around you at risk.

Kentucky used to have a toll-free number you could call to report a suspected DUI; a friend in the Kentucky State Police told me that about 80% of the time they'd find the car that had been reported turned out to be a Park Avenue or similar- piloted by Paw Paw Percy and dawdling in the left lane.

I doubt they teach passing on the shoulder in driving school either.

Control issues go both ways.

Originally Posted by PimTac

I doubt they teach passing on the shoulder in driving school either.

Control issues go both ways.

Yeah I never use the shoulder. And in that situation the most you can do is lean on the horn or flash your lights.

An entertaining thread. I don't condone haphazard driving like everyone else here.

The police car was not setting a good example either by tailgaiting that close for so long. If I were an old curmudgeon (oh, wait, I already am), driving a real beater, and wanted some headache in my life, I could imagine hitting the brakes and letting the tailgating cop rear end me. "oops, thought I saw a squirrel in the road". Just a fantasy. Best thing is to give idiot drivers their space rather than engage with them.

Back