2010-2013 Acura MDX

Looking for a used SUV for the wife, I'm seeing a lot of 2012 MDX's in the $10,000-$13,000 range. Just found one with 56,000 miles for 13k....pretty loaded.

Anyone own one of these things? I figure it's a Honda so it's probably pretty reliable, however did a quick google search and oil consumption seems to be an issue. I guess the question I have is, how big of an issue is it?

Looking for some insight on these things.

I'm also looking at a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 60,000 miles $15,900. Pretty loaded.

I'd personally look into the Lexus RX of that generation. You get what you pay for. I think you'll regret the Jeep.
I believe that the Acura RDX of 2014- is a better vehicle than the MDX in terms of its reliability.

I am not sure what year Acura started putting the 9 speed automatic transmission in the MDX but it has a reputation for being problematic, at least in the first years is was used. My wife drives a 2016 RDX bought new with the six speed auto and after 63,000 miles the car has been totally problem free, just routine maintenance (fluids/filters and wiper blades, that's it. Even the original Michelin's are still good).

The V6 has cylinder deactivation which in earlier models could cause excessive oil consumption but hers doesn't lose any oil between OLM recommended changes (7,000 to 8,000 miles). The MDX uses the same engine, but in a much heavier car, thus the use of the 9 speed transmission. I would recommend an RDX.

The Nikasil plated aluminum sleeved 3.7L V6 was a dog and should be avoided, it had issues beyond VCM (cylinder deactivation). A few have had good luck with them, many have not.

The ZF 9-speed wasn't used until 2016 in the MDX. Many that have experienced consumption due to the VCM have had success using a muzzler to alleviate some of the issues. I think you need to figure out what size you are seeking and whether or not you want a third row...the RX and RDX as recommended are smaller and both 2-row. That said, I've owned an RX and they are very solid, however totally different than an MDX in the handling department. The RX is smooth, numb even. The MDX is more of a "driver's car" with better feedback and slightly more sporting intentions...that is, as much as an SUV can be "sporty." Yes the Honda V6s have belts...everyone seems to cry all the way home about cars with belts, but if you can't afford $800 or so every 100K to replace it you shouldn't be owning a premium SUV in the first place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HangFire
The Nikasil plated aluminum sleeved 3.7L V6 was a dog and should be avoided, it had issues beyond VCM (cylinder deactivation). A few have had good luck with them, many have not.

Well, that just about does it for me. Off my list, on to something else.

Toyota is the best
smile.gif

You might also like the Subaru Tribeca, given your location. The 6-cylinder engines don't have the head gasket issues the fours have
happy2.gif

What I know about Acura vehicles is that in general they are a more luxury version of similar Honda vehicles. The Acura vehicles have bigger engines with much more horse power, and are designed to get the maximum amount of horse power from the larger engines. Therefore you MUST USE ONLY HIGH OCTANE GASOLINE IN THEM. Because the engines are bigger they get worse gas millage then there Honda equivalence, and because they demand high octane gasoline you pay more per gallon, and also must buy more gallons. If you are going to be filling the vehicle up with a lot of weight (such as filling every seat with a person, or carrying a lot of heavy gear) and or needing the extra horse power to travel at the maximum speeds on highways, then get the Acura. If the vehicle is always going to be lightly loaded, and not going to be traveling 80 MPH or more then get the Honda and enjoy the better fuel economy and the ability to always use the lower cost lower octane 87 gasoline.

Also if you want luxury in a Honda get the touring version of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Back