Opera browser

Started researching free VPN's . Most I ran across were only free for a trial period .

Decided to experiment with Opera browser , which claims to come with a free VPN .

Advice ? Comment ?

Originally Posted by Mainia
FYI Oprea = China owned but designed out of Norway.

Incorrect. Norwegian company - bound by Norwegian privacy laws (which are among the strictest in the world) - owned by Chinese conglomerate.

You're spreading FUD.

Originally Posted by Pelican
I knew Opera was a Euro search engine, but did not that it was owned by China, that's enough of a turn off for me.

Incorrect. Norwegian company - bound by Norwegian privacy laws (which are among the strictest in the world) - owned by Chinese conglomerate.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

You're spreading FUD.

That's what I said, a Chinese company. Tomato -- Tomahto.

You're spreading FUD.

Still incorrect. A Norwegian company. Neither China nor the NSA can compel Opera to do anything afoul of Norwegian privacy law; so the whole "I don't trust the Chinese or the Americans" angle is incorrect.

Potato.

"Norwegian Law," "Compel" Laugh Laugh. The Chinese have "Ring Zero" on THEIR servers. And as soon as it is cleared off, IF ever, they will be right back on Ring Zero. This includes the NSA. They don't ask, they just DO!!

I knew Opera was a Euro search engine, but did not that it was owned by China, that's enough of a turn off for me.

So you are saying exactly the same thing only in a different manner, ....way to go!

Still incorrect. A Norwegian company. Neither China nor the NSA can compel Opera to do anything afoul of Norwegian privacy law; so the whole "I don't trust the Chinese or the Americans" angle is incorrect. Potato.[/quote]

I wonder if anyone told the chinese that they have to abide by norwegian law!
We know well how obliging the Chinese Communist Party is.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Started researching free VPN's . Most I ran across were only free for a trial period .

Decided to experiment with Opera browser , which claims to come with a free VPN .

Advice ? Comment ?

Since I've been researching VPNs, here's an article on the top 5 "free" VPNs in 2020.

https://proprivacy.com/vpn/comparison/free-vpn-services

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
How accurate is this review article of Opera with VPN?

https://proprivacy.com/privacy-service/review/operavpn

Well, it answered my DNS question:

DNS resolution is performed using Google DNS servers located in the same country as the VPN server you are connected to. So when connected to a US VPN server, DNS resolution is also performed using US DNS servers. This is good for geo-spoofing.

From a privacy perspective, as far as Google is concerned your DNS requests will appear to come from Opera (rather than your real IP address).

So it's a full proxy setup, including name resolution.

"Norwegian Law," "Compel" Laugh Laugh. The Chinese have "Ring Zero" on THEIR servers. And as soon as it is cleared off, IF ever, they will be right back on Ring Zero. This includes the NSA. They don't ask, they just DO!!

That's just what "they" want you think.

I wonder if anyone told the chinese that they have to abide by norwegian law!
We know well how obliging the Chinese Communist Party is.

You are not understanding this at all. Which seems to have not prevented you from forming an opinion; one to which you've really attached yourself. That's ok. When only partially-informed it is probably wise to err on the side of caution. These days I am not sure anyone would fault you for reactionary fear having to do with anything even remotely connected to China.

yeah, bothers me too, it wasnt always that way ... China buys up everything and everything they can when it comes to privacy... Being it is still Norwegian I, so far are comfortable with it.
Then again, as I cut out all I can from China, who knows. Its a shame it is a GREAT browser on every platform.

Back