Grease gun woes!

Maybe its just me but I have a lot of trouble with manual grease guns. Its absolutely the worst part of doing a LOF on my vehicles.
Everyone Ive owned, sooner or later, will stop pumping right in the middle of the hardest zirk to reach. I have to disassemble, remove the tube and reassemble and it works for God only knows how long.
Its so frustrating!
Some of my grease guns have even went flying across the garage floor at a high rate of speed!
Thinking about air or cordle$$.
Any opinions?

If you don't know how to purge the air when changing grease in a manual grease gun, you will have the same problems with electric grease gun.

When adding a new tube to a manual grease gun, I lock the spring loaded plunger back insert the tube remove the pull tab, & only screw the tube back onto the gun minimally just a turn or 1.5 threads holding it on, then unlock the plunger tube, & it will expel some of the air past the threads. You should also be able to lock the plunger so you can put pressure to the grease in the tube, & advance it up into the port.

Some of the better grease guns have a button on the head for expelling air. I still hand pack a gun from time to time if I can't find what I want in the tube or if the bulk barrel is near empty and I have to scrape up enough for my motors.

Air pockets are precisely why I gave up on tubes of grease a long time ago and I fill up my grease gun from a 5 gal pail of grease using a loader pump. No air pockets when filled up this way.

grease gun loader.jpg

I thought I was the only one!! I have the same issue. I thought I was mechanically inclined to some degree, but was amazed how a grease gun seemed to kick my butt. I bought a few tried different brands of grease, checked tutorials, and sometimes one of them works.

I struggle too, but strangely enough mine hasn't flown across the garage yet.
crackmeup2.gif

No matter how hard I try, I can't keep the thing clean either. Greasing is such a dirty job.

My tractor has 25 fittings and that's excluding the loader. Ick.

Use good Lincoln grease guns and good grease and there is never a problem. I have an Milwaukee m18 one that always looses prime because it pumps to fast. Leaving the pull rod out helps.

Back