Cordless chain saw

Originally Posted by pcoxe
Battery saws are best for intermittent cut and drag operations like removing storm damage and downed limbs. Gas saws are best for the continuous logging of tree trunks.

And a 15 amp corded chainsaw is great for cutting it into splitting length without all the beyond OSHA gas saw noise
Doesn't cost much and saves wear and tear on those expensive saws

Originally Posted by Astro14
Best battery system, with lots of outdoor power tool options, is Makita's 18v li-ion.

I've got several tools, including leaf blower and string trimmer that run on the 18v. They're really great tools.

If you want a cordless saw, with good power and battery life, I would go Makita for the battery system.

Otherwise, Stihl or Husqvarna.

yup
yup
yup
yup

Matches my own experience with a 3 brands. The Makita 18 volt stuff is really amazing. The saw serializes the voltage with 2 of them.
I didn't think I could learn anything about starting a saw until I bought a Stihl ms 250C.

Buy once, cry once.

UD

Last edited:
My brother has Greenworks 16" IDK what voltage it is. We used it on a fallen dead elm to make 4 cuts through 12" diameter. Brother says he charges the saw while he has lunch. We're old guys. That's plenty of run time. My Stihl needs a new starter ring. Ring is on order for 5.99$. Not too shabby, to be able to get parts for a 45 yr old saw. I was impressed with the electric saw. Reviews say they don't like heat. When I bought the Stihl I was using it to buck up a cord of wood, load it, and drive it 25 miles. in the morning before my 3:30- midnight shift.... :cool:

I’ve got the same ryobi saw. It works best if I keep the blade super sharp and don’t press the saw too hard. The batteries do get hot and usually quits on me in a warm condition from being discharged. If it’s hot, you may be pressing into the saw with too much force. The chain speed is slow, and while as a lite duty homeowner I’m just fine with, I find myself wishing it was a little more robust. I have a hard time keeping the effective edge it needs on the chain.

it’s great at a campsite!

Back