Mental Illness And Substance Abuse Increasing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this "trying time" I believe that the rate of mental illness and alcohol/substance abuse is skyrocketing. I don't think the media or most people, unless they are effected, think about this or even care. I've struggled with mental illness/alcohol most of my life. Despite these obstacles, I have always been lucky enough to maintain marginal employment. Now, I am starting to see a family member and a good co-worker of mine "go down the rabbit hole" of alcohol. I won't say way where I work but a few co-workers are starting to show signs of impairment. People can get hurt where I work too. I guess, my post is about raising awareness for mental health at this time.

The lockdown has caused tremendous anxiety for a lot of people. A hospital in California has reported that they have seen more deaths from suicide than the virus. They also sadly noted that in the past four weeks they have had more suicides than they normally deal with in an entire year.

This was absolutely predicted by healthcare professionals when the quarantine policies started.

Deaths due to complications going to skyrocket as well. There is still no talk about it but there will be.

Myself and family are just fine.. People just need to stop finding blame and reason in others or their surroundings for their addictions. You choose to be an addict all on your own.

Alcohol and other drug use is self medication. Use is increasing now, as it does in trying times.
Please help each other during this time. You may be saving a life.

For people like me, sobriety is a gift.

I don't think so at all.

I think it has just become more fashionable, or acceptable (given the circumstances) to admit it.

If you can't cope, it depends on why.

If it's because your income or job is in jeopardy, it's entirely relevant to maintaining what you have, or suffering great loss.

If it's because OMGWTFBBQ VIRUS, then no, it's just opportunists trying to bank on the epidemic, end up with more than they would've had if there wasn't an epidemic.

Will people use a situation as an excuse, sure. The sky is not falling, they were the weak links all along and just feel more comfortable admitting to it now.

On the other hand, I am ignoring those who have suffered loss of family, or major changes to their life quality. Loss of income can devastate so I suppose the point is, there are both legit crisis situations and faux ones that can cause someone to want a little escape from intoxication.

The true measure is whether that intoxication allows one to bounce back or becomes a crutch.

These are trying times, indeed.

But we're skirting politics, and in order to leave this thread open, please be careful of what you post.

t's not the substance abuse I worry about, it's the family abuse that follows.

What does that mean? Are you assuming "drunks" beat their wives and/or kids?

Originally Posted by Hyperscn64
t's not the substance abuse I worry about, it's the family abuse that follows.

What does that mean? Are you assuming "drunks" beat their wives and/or kids?

There is no assume, it a well proven path.

Bottom line is simply to be kind in these crazy, crazy times.

I simply refuse to judge-as we all are not perfect, we all make mistakes.

Just try to be a good human, and look out for others when you can.....

Originally Posted by Hyperscn64
In this "trying time" I believe that the rate of mental illness and alcohol/substance abuse is skyrocketing. I don't think the media or most people, unless they are effected, think about this or even care. I've struggled with mental illness/alcohol most of my life. Despite these obstacles, I have always been lucky enough to maintain marginal employment. Now, I am starting to see a family member and a good co-worker of mine "go down the rabbit hole" of alcohol. I won't say way where I work but a few co-workers are starting to show signs of impairment. People can get hurt where I work too. I guess, my post is about raising awareness for mental health at this time.

I've cut myself off. Noticed I was drinking more than usual.

I used to have a couple of beers after work everyday - over our lockdown I never touched a drop of alcohol, had a cider last night, first in a couple of months. I didn't need to soak myself in alcohol just because I was stuck at home all day.

DV in Australia ius up 75% (reported, that's not the unreported stuff).

One of the most distressing things that I found as a manager during this is that some people (either sex, or children) need their 40+ hours away from the "family unit" to have some safety in their lives. Businesses across the country have been warned of, and asked to support these people, even if the policiy IS work from home.

People can break themselves, I've got no issue with that...breaking their partners and children is unforgivable.

People that have a hard time coping with stressful times need to find a better outlet besides alcohol, drugs and taking it out on other people (ie, violence and abuse).

Still try to get out the house as much as possible, but practice the social guidance for the times. It's easy to go do stuff outside without being in close proximity to people - mostly now that the weather is getting better. This CV situation is bringing some people and families closer to each other, but the ones that had friction and problems already are not benefiting in a positive way by being around each other all the time.

With 50M+ folks unemployed for the foreseeable future, the stress piles up and people are drinking more and doing more drugs to self medicate.

They might consider suicide as a way out of bad a situation. Baker Acts at hospitals might be increasing due to the pressure and anxiety.

Originally Posted by walterjay
The lockdown has caused tremendous anxiety for a lot of people. A hospital in California has reported that they have seen more deaths from suicide than the virus. They also sadly noted that in the past four weeks they have had more suicides than they normally deal with in an entire year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back