maintenance expenses

So for the last 19 years, I've been using Microsoft Money and entering all my expenses for pretty much everything we buy. So I ran some reports and made a graph showing my annual car maintenance expenses.

Then I realized that I am too much of a geek as I also record all the odometer readings for each of my vehicles at the end of the year. So I calculated the total annual miles driven and took the average odometer reading for all the vehicles at the end of the year. I put these on the secondary y axis. Note that I divided the average odometer by 10 so it would fit the scale better.

Too bad all years can't be like 2003 & 2004 where I spent less than $500 per year but we drove 30k miles. Of course this was back when my vehicles were less worn out; average odometer of 125k miles or so. Today's average is in excess of 175k miles.

graph.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
What are the peaks at 2005 and 2007?

The peak for 2002 was an engine.

What's the red line? What's the green line?

Sorry the legend got truncated in original post. Green line is annual miles driven on secondary y axis. Orange line is average odometer reading (divided by 10) and also on the secondary y axis.

2005 - $1100 repair at overpriced shop (now out of business) to replace water pump and intake manifold gasket on 2000 Chevrolet Venture.
2007 - ball joints, wheel bearings, water pump on various vehicles.

Numbers in recent years are skewed because I've bought older vehicles for teenage drivers that required lots of little things to make them roadworthy. And then they got wrecked and I had to fix up replacement vehicles.

Last edited:
I'm just impressed you're still using Microsoft Money, I think that ended 10 years ago.

Back