would you add an additional transmission cooler?

hey everyone. my truck is a 2009 sierra 1500 4.8 vortec 4l60e trans 342 axle ratio. I replaced the stock trans cooler with a big derale stacked plate cooler fan combo. it has worked great and i run the fan when needed.
I went and bought a travel trailer that weighs just over 5000 lbs loaded. when climbing grades the temp has gotten up to 190F. me being me i want to add another stacked plate trans cooler. I'm wondering if this could be a bad idea? the very coldest it gets out my way is -4F.
thanks.
I'm curious what others would do.

Last edited:
What may well be more helpful is getting a bigger transmission oil pan too... Adding 2 quarts of extra transmission oil could really help cool the operating temp.

Clinebarger on here recommends this and one or two other changes that really good and helpful with cooling transmissions like yours.

190F is probably fine. Would be an issue if you were 30-60 deg hotter. Even if it gets hotter, you can always change the fluid more often since the break down will be faster at higher temps.

You're lucky. My Ford AX4N just pulls around its own weight in a 2001 Lincoln with FWD and I'd love to have your problem.

Instead of 2 coolers. Install 1 large one.

Tru-cool LPD-47391. It's a 40,000 gvw unit.

I'm towing a 6200-6500 trailer with my avalanche.

Temps run 145-160 towing. Highest I have had is 175 on a 90 degree day. Plumb the hot fluid through the radiator then through the cooler.

Don't bypass the radiator.

Last edited:
thanks everyone. my current cooler is the derale 13960 rated at 46,000 btus per hour. the temp gauge is stock and im assuming the sensor is in the pan area.
i will look into a deeper pan the only concern i have is getting it around the exhaust. the one i have now just fits if i remember correctly.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Instead of 2 coolers. Install 1 large one.

Tru-cool LPD-47391. It's a 40,000 gvw unit.

I'm towing a 6200-6500 trailer with my avalanche.

Temps run 145-160 towing. Highest I have had is 175 on a 90 degree day. Plumb the hot fluid through the radiator then through the cooler.

Don't bypass the radiator.

This is a good idea here too ↑↑↑↑↑

I do think I remember clinebarger using a bigger transmission oil pan on that transmission... Could be wrong but I think I could be right.

Using a better fluid from Redline or Amsoil might help too. I upgraded from OE Honda CVT and got a better performance product for less monies.

I would if it was mine, I don't think it's possible to over cool the fluid. I wanted to add one to my vehicle because I figured it would be beneficial for a CVT (pretty sure I read that here) but, the local transmission shop said it was not necessary if I didn't drive it hard (whatever that means).

Last edited:
I don't see where a bigger pan helps unless you're only using the truck to pull in short bursts, more fluid will take longer to come up to temperature but will just heat soak the same as with a smaller pan when towing a distance.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
I would if it was mine, I don't think it's possible to over cool the fluid. I wanted to add one to my vehicle because I figured it would be beneficial for a CVT (pretty sure I read that here) but, the local transmission shop said it was not necessary if I didn't drive it hard (whatever that means).

i was reading the service intervals in my owners manual and it looks like just about any use would fall under severe duty. i wouldn't be surprised if driving it hard was stop and go traffic with some hills.

Originally Posted by Chris142
If you add another cooler T off run them in paralel instead of in series.

you have my intrest. why? wouldn't the fluid just go through the cooler with the least resistance?

Originally Posted by MrTruckDriver
Originally Posted by GSCJR

i was reading the service intervals in my owners manual and it looks like just about any use would fall under severe duty. i wouldn't be surprised if driving it hard was stop and go traffic with some hills.

My commute takes me through both rural and urban areas so there's not too much stop and go. No hills around here either, so I guess I'm good then! Lol.

Last edited:
Many years ago I had an uncle who had a mobile home that had its own engine, trany, and cab with steering and controls. After several years the transmission went on it even though the miles he put on it were very low. It sat most of the year at a campground that they liked, and he and his wife would only occasionally take it on the road. One year they decided to take it for a long trip and the transmission failed while they were on that trip. When it was rebuilt the rebuilder said the cause of the failure was that because it sat too long too much moisture got into the fluid from the air and a part rusted and the rust did not allow the part to work.

Long story - short, might keeping transmission fluid cool prevent boiling off of moisture contamination, and then the moisture contamination cause problems?

I have a 2018 Z71 with trailer package … only 22k … My ATF reached 192F today after pulling off the freeway and driving through town … it was running 180F at 75 mph …
Not pulling anything … had already emptied the bed …

If you are due an ATF change … add a B&M plug and change fluid often

Last edited:
Back