dielectric grease ?

I am going to install a ignition module on my sons 04 bonneville and was wondering if i should put dielectric grease under the module before installing ? Thanks !

NO!!! Thats the wrong grease. You want thermal grease. You can find it at microcenter, bestbuy, or any place that has computer CPU grease. A little is all it takes so don't buy to much.

Originally Posted by Jimzz
NO!!! Thats the wrong grease. You want thermal grease. You can find it at microcenter, bestbuy, or any place that has computer CPU grease. A little is all it takes so don't buy to much.

This.

If it's for heat transfer use heat sink compound. T he electrical connection doesn't require anything.

In theory a good quality heatsink grease would perform a little better, but in practice silicone grease is good enough and is what's in the packet that comes with some GM ignition modules, but the contact area has to be clean, no corrosion buildup.

If you ordered OEM (or even aftermarket) but don't have it yet, I'd wait and see if it comes with grease.

Dave the ignition modules came with the white high heat conductive paste for many many years. Thanks to the cal nazi's mfg's no longer supply the white paste. They supply of all things dielectric grease.
I would never use silicone dielectric grease to aid in heat dissipation. The white paste is available and I would only use that not insulating grease.
Another fine problem that the nuts in Cali gave the balance of the the 49 states..

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I am going to install a ignition module on my sons 04 bonneville and was wondering if i should put dielectric grease under the module before installing ? Thanks !

Use heat sink compound to transfer the heat from the module to the mounting surface.

Originally Posted by Dave9
In theory a good quality heatsink grease would perform a little better, but in practice silicone grease is good enough and is what's in the packet that comes with some GM ignition modules, but the contact area has to be clean, no corrosion buildup.

If you ordered OEM (or even aftermarket) but don't have it yet, I'd wait and see if it comes with grease.

True. I read an article somewhere that compared plain ol dielectric grease and heat sink grease and reported only a slight improvement. The article went on to say just use the dielectric grease.

So i should be installing some of this grease before putting the module in place. I wonder if Advanced Auto carries this thermal grease ?

So i should be installing some of this grease before putting the module in place. I wonder if Advanced Auto carries this thermal grease ?

You should be able to find Arctic Silver on Amazon or at a local computer store (if you still have one).

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

You should be able to find Arctic Silver on Amazon or at a local computer store (if you still have one).

Interesting about the silver. My understanding is that the purpose of heat transfer grease is to fill in the air space between the mating components. Air is a very good insulator and heat transfer is greatly reduced. These compounds can't transfer heat any better than the components themselves in contact, so anything that can transfer heat as well as the components themselves will do. Some in the PC gaming world overclock their processors, generating a lot of additional heat, and use copper antiseize for this purpose. Some use zinc heat transfer paste but its just thickened zinc sun screen.

The zinc paste is using zinc oxide, correct? Not metallic zinc. Heat transfer or heat sink paste should be thermally conductive but electrically insulating.

FWIW Autozone near me sells the proper material, they call it "heat sink compound".

Different heat compounds have different heat transfer coefficients... and the differences can be repeatably measurable, with the right equipment.

Originally Posted by kschachn
The zinc paste is using zinc oxide, correct? Not metallic zinc. Heat transfer or heat sink paste should be thermally conductive but electrically insulating.

FWIW Autozone near me sells the proper material, they call it "heat sink compound".

Thanks for the info. That's what I would use

Originally Posted by willbur
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Interesting about the silver. My understanding is that the purpose of heat transfer grease is to fill in the air space between the mating components. Air is a very good insulator and heat transfer is greatly reduced. These compounds can't transfer heat any better than the components themselves in contact, so anything that can transfer heat as well as the components themselves will do. Some in the PC gaming world overclock their processors, generating a lot of additional heat, and use copper antiseize for this purpose. Some use zinc heat transfer paste but its just thickened zinc sun screen.

The name of the product, which was made notorious by overclockers, is Arctic Silver, probably one of the most prolific heatsink compounds, I doubt it actually has any silver in it, which would make it electrically conductive, it was just the name because it was silver coloured and catchy.

Back