Tequila Drinkers

I have been a tequila drinker for while now and prefer the taste and buzz it gives me over other types of alcohol. I have tried a lot of different ones but it's hard to find one the is good both for sipping and margaritas on the rocks. For a long time I been drinking Hornitos Reposado, a fairly good sipper and makes a great margarita but for the last couple years I've been more sipping than mixing. So this year I started my search again and have been trying some different brands and I think I found a new one that is a great sipper and a decent margarita, Milagro Reposado.

You guys that are into tequila recommend me a good sipper at a decent price, looking to stay under $40. Another one I've had but is hard to find is Herencia de Plata Reposado.

Yes, the Silver's are good for margaritas but not so good a sipper to me. Hornitos Silver makes the best margarita and has a great price at $25. Hornitos Anejo is a really good sipper but doesn't make a good margarita, the Silver and Anejo Hornitos are the two I use to keep on hand at the same time, both of these are under $30.

Have you tried any Mezcals? Tends to be a bit smokier, with some reminding me of a very peaty scotch, surprisingly. In the ~$40 range, Monte Alban is decent as are the Senorio's and there are many others.

I'm mostly a scotch (Islay please) and rum drinker, but when I wanted to learn Mezcals and Tequilas, I parked myself at the bar of our local family owned Mexican restaurant, which we frequent for dinner, and asked for an education. It was worth it.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Have you tried any Mezcals? Tends to be a bit smokier, with some reminding me of a very peaty scotch, surprisingly. In the ~$40 range, Monte Alban is decent as are the Senorio's and there are many others.

I'm mostly a scotch (Islay please) and rum drinker, but when I wanted to learn Mezcals and Tequilas, I parked myself at the bar of our local family owned Mexican restaurant, which we frequent for dinner, and asked for an education. It was worth it.

Yes I have tried a few Mezcals years ago and didn't really care for them from what I remember but that was back in my "doing shots" days with the salt and lime and motivation was getting drunk, now I just sip but may have to try one if I can find one.

Don Julio has been my go to since '98 when I tried it for the first time in Mexico City. Really smooth and not too delicate (as I find Patron).

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Don Julio has been my go to since '98 when I tried it for the first time in Mexico City. Really smooth and not too delicate (as I find Patron).

Which one is your go to, silver, reposado or anejo? I've never tried because of the cost, $60 here and I have been disappointed by expensive tequilas like Patron, Cabo Wabo, Casa Noble to name a few, I would put Hornitos up against anyone of those, of course taste is subjective.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Yes I have tried a few Mezcals years ago and didn't really care for them from what I remember but that was back in my "doing shots" days with the salt and lime and motivation was getting drunk, now I just sip but may have to try one if I can find one.

Oh yes. That was me with tequila...usually cheap tequila. Took a while to want to circle back.

I don't drink because I hate the way alcohol makes me feel but I love the taste of a Margarita made with an extra shot of Tequila and a float of Gran Marnier Yum. I'll get my wife to get one if we are out to dinner or make it and take a sip.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Which one is your go to, silver, reposado or anejo? I've never tried because of the cost, $60 here and I have been disappointed by expensive tequilas like Patron, Cabo Wabo, Casa Noble to name a few, I would put Hornitos up against anyone of those, of course taste is subjective.

Reposado and Anejo are the two that I drink. I have not liked any of the silver versions of any tequila I have tried. Patron is (IMHO) a wannabe tequila. Have not tried Cabo Wabo, but that would seem to be a Red Rocker marketing tool.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Make sure your tequila is 100% agave.

While probably not great for sipping Sams has a 1.75 bottle of 100% for $20 that works well for margaritas.

One of the best bang for the buck tequilas is El Jimador. It is made in the same distillery as Herradura. I actually prefer blanco tequilas and I only drink straight spirits. I switched to mezcal a number of years ago, but tequila is a very clean spirit.

Casa Noble Single Barrel Extra Anejo...chocolate, complex and yet smooth.

Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia Extra Anejo...vanilla, cognac and very smooth.

Partida Tequila Blanco...peppery, earthy and delightful.

My three favs.

Mexican here.

A few points.

- Go for 100% Agave. Mixes like Cuervo is what gave tequila the bad reputation.

- A real tequila must be made in Jalisco. It takes the name from the town of Tequila, in that state. It's like champagne, that also must come only from that place to deserve the denomination.

- With 100% agave, skip the salt and lemon. It's a gimmick we don't do in México. A "sangrita" is acceptable.

- With tequila blanco, you usually drink it in a "caballito". That's the glass you use for shots. But with añejos, a whiskey or cognac glass work really well to bring up the aroma and flavor.

- Mezcal is a generic term for the fermented drink of agave. Tequila is the mezcal made in Jalisco with a specific type of agave. Other states have their own mezcal, like "bacanora" in Sonora, "sotol" in Chihuahua. Again, the 100% rule applies. Each have their own peculiarities. Bacanora for example, has a stronger plant flavor, as it uses another type of agave than tequila.

Right now, my personal favorites are añejos. 1800 Añejo and Hornitos Black Barrel are pretty good for the price. 1800 is smoother with a caramel hint, and Black Barrel is a little more spicier. If you can find them, give them a try.

Back