Subaru 2.5 adbv effectiveness

I have changed the oil 13 times on two 2013 Outbacks with the 2.5 l boxer with magnatec 0w20 at 5k miles, always consumes about 2 qts over that period. Using mostly ecogard 4615s, oems blue Subaru filters, tough guards, and 1 ultra guard. I remove the filter roughly 20-40 mins after a drive.

The only time the filter (top mounted upside down) was full of oil when removed was with the ultraguard. I had just bought the ultraguard because it was the only thing in stock. I have since gone back to using tough guards.

Does this mean the only adbv that worked was on the ultraguard?

My Subaru FB NEVER have oil in them when I do an OC.

Regardless of ADBV or not with the hot oil, air is going to seek that high place when the main gallery drains.

Bad idea mounting the filter ABOVE oil level.

Car has horrendous TC racket.

I do recall the car having less startup racket with the factory Tokyo Roki, But things were less gummed up when new.

Subaru has bee shooting them selves in the foot with garbage quality replacement parts for service items.
I was never able to get the factory quality ignition wires from service parts.

Subaru should sell the Roki as a premium replacement filter at least.

Mazda isn't this cheap.

To answer you question. Not really - same design adbv as the Toughguard. I bet it wouldn't hold oil overnight.

May have had something to do with the oil qualities or ambient temp or fuel dilution or even gumming.

Last edited:
subies live on the AWD standard fare, after that everything is DOWNHILL, + the CVT being among the worse with mostly no alternatives, but they sell in the snow belts when 4 SNOW tyres on FWD will do as good or better as AWD has NOTHING to do with stopping better in slippy conditions

We have had great luck with ours even though it's the year that is known to burn oil, I bought a second one when the first was rear ended.

Takes me 10 mins to change oil. I love the oil filter design compared to my other vehicles. My pentastar has that bypass valve plastic piece that crumbles right above the opening to the engine it's already failed and the whole cooler housing is known to leak. My d series civic before that the filter was buried on the back of the block. I would always burn my arm on the exhause crammed underneath we the car

I'm 67 years old and life has been good to me. I've owned just shy of 30 cars, many of them bought new. Our 2001 Subaru Outback was one of the worst vehicles I've ever owned. Defective flywheel design caused horrible clutch chatter (recalled later, but Subaru never notified me even after the dealer already replaced the clutch twice), leaking head gaskets (the official "fix" was dealer installed radiator stop leak!), all four wheel bearings bad, and a myriad of rear tail light issues (weird corrosion on all contact points).

Not a hater. Instead, my car was junk.

Scott

Looks like you will have to go elsewhere to get a meaningful answer TargaMonteSS. Shame on you guys.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
I'm 67 years old and life has been good to me. I've owned just shy of 30 cars, many of them bought new. Our 2001 Subaru Outback was one of the worst vehicles I've ever owned. Defective flywheel design caused horrible clutch chatter (recalled later, but Subaru never notified me even after the dealer already replaced the clutch twice), leaking head gaskets (the official "fix" was dealer installed radiator stop leak!), all four wheel bearings bad, and a myriad of rear tail light issues (weird corrosion on all contact points).

Not a hater. Instead, my car was junk. Scott

I'm older than you
smile.gif
have had about 15 vehicles and had a 2001 Outback, kept it for 17 yrs and sold it last year for $5,000 the only thing that I had was a bit of piston slap which was corrected under warranty. I guess like everything else it may be a bit of hit & miss, but above all it's the quality of the fluids and the frequency of maintenance that will keep your vehicle healthy.

Last edited:
No, I don't think so. Just stock up on a case of Subaru OEM dealer filters so you will have some on hand when you need them.

Last edited:
Subarus are everywhere where I live, and I know a few people who have them and love them.

To the filter subject, the center hole to the bearings has no valve on it on this model, so the oil can flow out under gravity. There is some vacuum holding it. I guess if the bearings are tight the leakage is less or nil. I've had cars with angled down filters with low mileage and I would let the old drain out overnight to have no filter mess when taking it off. All drained out. The oil can still flow through the media and down the center or outlet hole.

Try this. s. WIX 57055

Great experience with Wix on all my Subaru vehicles. I'll be the balance to the Subaru hater's club. Three of them at my house currently. Both of my sons as well as my wife drive Subaru. Owned too many over the years to count. Never any major issue. Reliable, easy on gas, awd, great safety design, great dealer support in my area. The wife won't own any other brand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My Subaru FB NEVER have oil in them when I do an OC.

Regardless of ADBV or not with the hot oil, air is going to seek that high place when the main gallery drains.

Bad idea mounting the filter ABOVE oil level.

I've had three vehicles with filters mounted on top of the engine, in a vertical base down configuration. All three puked oil when ever I removed the oil filter, so at least on those specific vehicles, a well sealing ADBV certainly did keep oil in the filter, even in that mounting configuration.

There may be some vehicles that leak down the oil from a top mounted filter because of other reasons beside a leaky ADBV.

That's when I discovered (many years ago with the RX-7) that punching a hole in the dome end while the oil was hot and letting it drain for 30 minutes while I go ready to change the oil cured the oil puking upon removal.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
To the filter subject, the center hole to the bearings has no valve on it on this model, so the oil can flow out under gravity. There is some vacuum holding it. I guess if the bearings are tight the leakage is less or nil. I've had cars with angled down filters with low mileage and I would let the old drain out overnight to have no filter mess when taking it off. All drained out. The oil can still flow through the media and down the center or outlet hole.

Re: your comment in red. I did a test to see if oil would flow through the media in this old Oct 2010 thread (I'm sure you've seen it before), and the oil stayed between the media and can until I opened up the ADBV. So even if oil does flow out of the center hole and through the galleries to the bearings, the can will still be full of oil upon start-up is the ADBV is sealing well, which is better than nothing.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2042807/

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Re: your comment in red. I did a test to see if oil would flow through the media in this old Oct 2010 thread (I'm sure you've seen it before), and the oil stayed between the media and can until I opened up the ADBV. So even if oil does flow out of the center hole and through the galleries to the bearings, the can will still be full of oil upon start-up is the ADBV is sealing well, which is better than nothing.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2042807/

We all know oil flows through the center hole to the clean side when prefilling a filter. I doubt if the media is a one way valve. I said can drain out, not has to, or always, but can, and my anecdotal experience says sometimes it did. Just like your anecdotal experiences tell you things.

... To the filter subject, the center hole to the bearings has no valve on it on this model, so the oil can flow out under gravity. There is some vacuum holding it. I guess if the bearings are tight the leakage is less or nil. I've had cars with angled down filters with low mileage and I would let the old drain out overnight to have no filter mess when taking it off. All drained out. The oil can still flow through the media and down the center or outlet hole.
If the ADBV does not leak, oil can not exit the filter unless air comes in through the center opening at the same time oil is flowing out through the same opening. How likely is that? Even if that does happen, I don't see why oil on the "dirty" side of the media wouldn't remain in place---just as it does on a filter completely removed from the engine.

We all know oil flows through the center hole to the clean side when prefilling a filter. I doubt if the media is a one way valve. I said can drain out, not has to, or always, but can, and my anecdotal experience says sometimes it did. Just like your anecdotal experiences tell you things.

Pouring oil into the center hole, then turning the filter base down isn't the same thing ... of course any oil that's already inside the center tube will fall out due to gravity.

It's the oil trapped between the filter media and the can that I'm talking about. It does not "fall out" of the filter when the base is turned down. If you ever cut open a filter that has a good ADBV, you're going to find a lot of oil still trapped between the media and can ... just like my experiment showed.

... It's the oil trapped between the filter media and the can that I'm talking about. It does not "fall out" of the filter when the base is turned down. ...
The reason it does not flow out through the media to the center hole is an interesting but neglected topic.

It's the oil trapped between the filter media and the can that I'm talking about. It does not "fall out" of the filter when the base is turned down. If you ever cut open a filter that has a good ADBV, you're going to find a lot of oil still trapped between the media and can ... just like my experiment showed.

This doesn't change the FACT that our Subaru FB2.0 filter is empty in about 2 hours after shutdown.

Every time and always in over 10 oil changes.

Have the ALL the filters I used in the past had defective, leaky ADBV?

I suppose it IS possible FRAM ADBV don't function when installed inverted?

I did some investigating yesterday during the Subaru Oil change

When filling the engine I added oil down to the pump and into the galleries.
before I installed the filter. The two drills are looking right at you on this engine with the filter removed.

1) The pump drill does fills and it holds ( as would be expected )

2) The drill to the galleries fills then empties right out. I can just keep adding oil there.
I only tried about a pint though. Enough to empty the filter if air can easily rise.

This is somewhat UN-expected given how fast they emptied.

Just changed the oil Yesterday ( Saturday ) The car was sitting about 3 hours after being driven.

There was No meaningful quantity of oil whatsoever in the Subaru Blue filter.

- Ken

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CR94
... It's the oil trapped between the filter media and the can that I'm talking about. It does not "fall out" of the filter when the base is turned down. ...
The reason it does not flow out through the media to the center hole is an interesting but neglected topic.

I think it always does given enough time. When the center tube drains out there is air. I think there is the adbv, vacuum, and capillary attraction in the media preventing filters to drain out the same. The clean side chamber is also pretty small so the pressure on the media is pretty small. Without an adbv of course it will drain out fast. Some medias may drain through faster than others. Some may never seem to drain but given enough time they will.

Back