Engine flush 61,000 miles result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by adamsoil
I'm not trying to prove anything.

No, you just made a few grandiose blanket statements to validate or support your point ( if you want to avoid the word prove), I was just asking for the substance behind them.

[Linked Image]

This is the cam on the Volvo 240 sedan just before an oil change. The engine has 186,000 miles.

As you can see there is no sludge or varnish. I change the oil every 5k with Rotella, Delo, or M1 10W30 every 5k.

I see no need to use an engine flush when using high quality oils changed at a reasonable interval.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by dishdude
I think the only thing that got flushed was your wallet.

This.

If I even subscribed to this "need" … thinking I'd spend my money on one OCI of Redline ester based every 50k and get 7500 miles for the extra money spent … then go back to my average priced synthetic …

Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR
I'm not trying to prove anything.

No, you just made a few grandiose blanket statements to validate or support your point ( if you want to avoid the word prove), I was just asking for the substance behind them.

I'm just giving my opinion and you are giving yours.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
With the 15W40 the oil pressure gauge is noticably higher at idle, just below 50 indicated.

I'm curious EXACTLY what happened in your engine block that made the oil pressure increase......
Or was it because the new oil was cold when you started up the engine?

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
That is less than 2,000 miles and that dark.

The color is just from oxidation which the flush will do to it by itself. Most engine flushes are highly acidic which will oxidize the oil, turning it black, and fooling you into believing its working. It's like the tackifiers that Lucas puts in their Oil Stabilizer to make it cling to those gimmicky plastic gears at parts stores to deceive you into believing that's actually beneficial for an engine.

In order to properly remove sludge and varnish from an engine, you need stronger solvents and higher amounts of them. Esters and napthalenes are great for this. Kerosine and pale oil is not.

I'm just giving my opinion and you are giving yours.

The problem was you stated it as fact. Next time preface your post with "In my opinion..." or "I believe..."

They all need to be flushed. Haters going to hate. Nearly every pro mechanic in NZ and Australia engine flush every service. Where are all the negative stories? 1000s of cars everyday. How do you clean turbo lines and filters? Ive never heard a bad story in real life only on the internet.

Mechanic shops pushing a gimmicky product on which they make a huge profit? Imagine that.

Haha call in the troops

If you are certain that pale oil and kerosine (the 2 main ingredients that makeup 95% of Motor Medic) are actually useful for cleaning out an engine, please provide an SAE study or other technical article showing it. Until then, I'm not putting a product with the viscosity of a straight 0 grade, a 136*F flash point, extremely high volatility, no additives, and no substantial lubricating oil film in my engine.

There's only one product I've tried that actually showed promise for cleaning up a dirty engine, and that's HPL Flush oil. Unlike the gimmicks, it's actually a fully formulated ester oil with an HDMO add pack in a 30 grade. After running it for 1,500 miles, the compression numbers improved on all 4 cylinders, and the engine was running smoother. That was confirmed also with a slight increase in idle vacuum verifying improved ring seal. This is the same premise as Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. That was done once at 225k miles.

Threads like this really make me disappointed in this forum. This is supposed to be a place of knowledge where you can see through the deceptive marketing and get to the root of what a product really is and does. Yet, the same nonsense myths and misinformation from shadetree backyard mechanics and Facebook is circulated as gospel around here also. If we are just going to blindly follow the marketing mumbo jumbo, then the whole premise of this forum is void.

Last edited:
RDY4WAR: You're overstating the "problem". Not everybody believes in motor flushes as this thread shows.

Many here are like you and don't agree with using them. The existence of some people believing blindly in flush products certainly DOES NOT void the whole premise of this forum.

The panic, all-or-nothing mindset is not needed here. This thread has both sides. Just so you know, I'm in the clean oil camp. "Don't let it get dirty in the first place", is my motto.

The sludge prone Toyota engine referred to above is one where good synthetic oil would help from Day #1. Also, maybe something which does some cleaning could help if such an engine had been neglected.

This thread alone has informed people about ester based oils' ability to clean. It also detailed the bogus, deficient nature of most "canned mechanics".

Trav: " hogwash. " ....is what I wash my Harley with.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Threads like this really make me disappointed in this forum. .

You have to look at the posters.
The OP joined 2 months ago and has 500 posts.. maybe a former member who isnt here anymore??
The other guy blathering flush nonsense joined this month.
These kind of posters have a high chance of being trolls that are disgruntled with bitog.

but how strict do you want moderation? There is a balance to everything.

If you look back to gearheadtool he had about 9 names here and was banned 9x eventually.

At least those Lucas plastic gears kept you occupied while PapaParts took his dear sweet time finding one common part

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Threads like this really make me disappointed in this forum. .

You have to look at the posters.
The OP joined 2 months ago and has 500 posts.. maybe a former member who isnt here anymore??
The other guy blathering flush nonsense joined this month.
These kind of posters have a high chance of being trolls that are disgruntled with bitog.

but how strict do you want moderation? There is a balance to everything.

If you look back to gearheadtool he had about 9 names here and was banned 9x eventually.

Yup, or he works for a company that makes flush products or uses them and thus benefits from his touted position (which was stated as absolute fact and then walked back as to just being opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back