toro timecutter z4200 tires

I have a toro timecutter Z4200 which loses air pressure in tires . I have put slime in it and it held for a while but has begun to lose air again. Would like to get new tires but not sure if I can mount them on the rim. How difficult is it to mount and dismount tires on front and rear tires on this mower

Make sure its the tire thats leaking and not the rim. Have you done the soap spray exam on the tires and valve stem. Also lift the tire off the ground and let most of the air out and see if the valve is loose, you may have tubes in those tires, if so the stem will push in and pull out, if its tubeless the valve will be like car stems. I only suggest this because I have used Slime on some large holes in tractor tires and it has held for years.

Edit: Did not answer your question, if you have some tire irons it should be easy, the sidewalls are not super reinforced.

Last edited:
You'll need a tire bead breaker and a bit of patience. I used to install small race car tires this way.

Originally Posted by raaizin
I have a toro timecutter Z4200 which loses air pressure in tires . I have put slime in it and it held for a while but has begun to lose air again. Would like to get new tires but not sure if I can mount them on the rim. How difficult is it to mount and dismount tires on front and rear tires on this mower

Dismounting and mounting is not difficult with tire irons or several hefty screwdrivers. I use a short 2X4 placed on the sidewall of the old tire and I lower my car's tire onto the other end of the 2X4 and it popps the bead loose. Hard part is having a good, powerful air supply to seat the bead. Sometimes my larger compressor just won't cut it and I take it to the service station. The self serve pumps won't do the job either.Use a new stem and make sure the sealing edges of the rim are spotless and smear some tire lube on the bead.

NEVER use slime, it is a bad product to use.. You may discover when you remove the tire, the inside of the rim may be covered in heavy rust because of the slime.

Last edited:
Get yourself a set of tire spoons:

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-0...re+spoons&qid=1590239899&sr=8-28

I have the above and they make a world of difference. Small tires are a pain, but a little dish soap on the rim and some tire spoons makes it so much easier. Screw drivers can be sharp, so avoid using those. If the tire has a slow leak but the tread is still good I recommend just putting tubes in the tires. My John Deere garden tractor now has tubes in all 4 tires and it has been fine for years.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Get yourself a set of tire spoons:

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-0...re+spoons&qid=1590239899&sr=8-28

I have the above and they make a world of difference. Small tires are a pain, but a little dish soap on the rim and some tire spoons makes it so much easier. Screw drivers can be sharp, so avoid using those. If the tire has a slow leak but the tread is still good I recommend just putting tubes in the tires. My John Deere garden tractor now has tubes in all 4 tires and it has been fine for years.

Great idea! tires have plenty of tread. I think I will get tubes for tires. Thanks for info!!!!

Back