Engine flush 61,000 miles result

Status
Not open for further replies.
As posted in the oil change thread. I'm a believer in engine flushing at regular intervals, keeps the sludge away and frees up carbon deposits. May even clean the PCV system. Used only 1/2 the quart bottle to top off dipstick, idled for 15 minutes, drained hot. With the 15W40 the oil pressure gauge is noticably higher at idle, just below 50 indicated.
Also removed and cleaned the throttle body, added Techton to fuel tank.
2012 CTS 3.0 61,000 miles
Tip: spray clean, dry, then grease the oil canister threads, oil fill cap, and drain plug.

IMG_20200523_021634.jpg

IMG_20200523_023907.jpg

If an engine needs to be flushed at 61k, it was either neglected or a poor quality oil used. Also, I am not going to dillute my oil with a thin chemical cleaner and take a chance of damaging a bearing. A buddy seized his engine when he did a flush and an oil passage got blocked feeding a bearing. Never had a need to do a flush of an engine.

Last edited:
I also don't see the need for 'flushing' a properly maintained engine. If I was going to flush a neglected engine
I'd use a gentle cleaner like Auto-RX which works over the entire OCI.

They all need to be flushed. Haters going to hate. Nearly every pro mechanic in NZ and Australia engine flush every service. Where are all the negative stories? 1000s of cars everyday. How do you clean turbo lines and filters? Ive never heard a bad story in real life only on the internet.

Manual for 2012 CTS recommends 5W-30 (in extreme cold 0W-30) every 7,500 miles. Nowhere it's says to perform engine flush on regular basis.
Where did this idea came from? Solvents can do far more damage to your engine than any good they claim. If you want to understand performance of the oil in your CTS whether you can run it further or less why don't you send a sample to Blackstone Labs and go from there.

Originally Posted by js1956
Manual for 2012 CTS recommends 5W-30 (in extreme cold 0W-30) every 7,500 miles. Nowhere it's says to perform engine flush on regular basis.
Where did this idea came from? Solvents can do far more damage to your engine than any good they claim. If you want to understand performance of the oil in your CTS whether you can run it further or less why don't you send a sample to Blackstone Labs and go from there.

The oil manafacturers came up with it. They know what happens to oil in the engine. They have done the most testing, do we not consider thier recommendations...

Engines don't require "flushing" when they're maintained properly. It's when they are neglected that it may be an option. There are other things I'd use other than that "motor flush".

Just run an oil with some margin of esters in it and that will keep it clean. I imagine most all oils have some detergents in the add pack that do the same thing. I once did a flush with kerosene/transmission fluid and 30 weight non detergent motor oil on an engine that had been sitting so long the oil was like grease. Worked well for what I was trying to achieve.

If i had a 1955 Chevy that hadnt been driven in 20 years but still started and ran i would use that engine flush.

If i had a modern car and just wanted to flush to sleep better at night i would use Rislone... it cleans with Esters.

Originally Posted by adamsoil
The oil manafacturers came up with it. They know what happens to oil in the engine. They have done the most testing, do we not consider thier recommendations...

Can you please provide reference to these oil manufacturers and their studies/reports?

They all need to be flushed. Haters going to hate. Nearly every pro mechanic in NZ and Australia engine flush every service. Where are all the negative stories? 1000s of cars everyday. How do you clean turbo lines and filters? Ive never heard a bad story in real life only on the internet.

I LOVE that phrase, "haters gon' hate!" I usually see it as a sticker on POS cars with ill-fitting and ill-matching body kits, toot cannon exhaust engaged, and stupid negative camber, bagged to the ground!

//

I'm in the NO FLUSH group.

HOWEVER, wasn't there a Toyota V6 in the 90s or early 2000s, maybe in the Avalon, that was known to sludge even WITH proper care? Do we have proof that the CTS 3.0 the OP is using isn't also sludge-prone?

I can understand flushing an engine that has some minor sludging, but I would not do that on a regular basis.as engine wear might increase. My engines stay very clean with 200-300+ miles using synthetic oils at 10K OCIs.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by ABN_CBT_ENGR

Can you please provide reference to these oil manufacturers and their studies/reports?

They are the ones that sell it... for cheap as well

Its also the only way you can increase the removal of damaging particles under 30 micron.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

I LOVE that phrase, "haters gon' hate!" I usually see it as a sticker on POS cars with ill-fitting and ill-matching body kits, toot cannon exhaust engaged, and stupid negative camber, bagged to the ground!

Don't worry I have a 600HP Ford and it looks standard

I've seen one flush around here that really dissolve the sludge and the engine looks like brand new inside, but the parts that don't have a lot of oil flow and pressure, stay dirty. By instruction, you have to run the engine at 2000 RPM for 1 hour.

I would not like to see my engine running for 60 min with oil dissolved with solvent. But i can see that if you have a severely sludged engine, that could be an option.

They are ones that sell it...

Its also the only way you can increase the removal of damaging particles under 30 micron.

That doesn't prove anything and it wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer made something to sell they knew was functionally worthless in most cases

I think you might be confusing "flush" with "rinse""

These products don't have the volume or velocity to "flush" anything- they basically wet and rinse.

Any "contamination" that will flow under those conditions would be removed with the regular oil hot and agitated ( assuming detergents still present)

Otherwise nothing else is being accomplished except maybe the "perception" of an improvement but even patent medicines doo that without actually providing any tangible benefit and can often mask other legitimate problems until too late. (or cause them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back