84 John Deere Hydro shock

I have an '84 John Deere 316 with hydrostatic drive. Part of the system uses a gas-filled shock, maybe about 6 inches long. This shock wears out and the result is jerky hydro action.

Replacement is easy, however the part is no longer made, and any used ones fetch a hundred dollars or so. Does anyone know of any universal dampener companies? I am thinking I could measure the shock at full close and at full open and then buy accordingly. Thanks.

How are you wearing that out? There are other adjustments that affect the firmness of the lever movement.

My guess is that the original one was sourced from a seat suspension so that might be a place to look. They are about the same size.

It has been worn, about a 1/4 inch of slop within the lever. I would figure after 36 years it's finally given up the ghost.

That is slop in the linkage. There are adjustments under the dash for lever creep and to put neutral in the correct position. And all sorts of steel bushing that can wear out. I wouldn't link the shock would be toast unless you can see it leaked oil.

Is it a new style 316 or an old style one?

Originally Posted by jhellwig
That is slop in the linkage. There are adjustments under the dash for lever creep and to put neutral in the correct position. And all sorts of steel bushing that can wear out. I wouldn't link the shock would be toast unless you can see it leaked oil.

Is it a new style 316 or an old style one?

First gen hydro linkage. So old style. I should probably take the battery tray out and look at all of the linkage before just sourcing parts. Now that is is raining here for the next couple of days, won't need it to mow.

I guess I meant did it have an onan engine or the one cylinder Kohler. Either way I have been having luck limping my 318 along with some well placed grade 8 bolts and washer to renew pivot points.

I replaced the hydro shock on my 1992 332 about 10 years ago. The piston could be pulled in and out with two fingers. It made a world of difference as far as jerkiness from the hydro. It's still available from JD, part # am35220, though pricey at $96.00.

Last edited:
That damper inevitably goes bad. The modern parts are reportedly built better than the originals so if you do replace it try to get a modern one assuming fitment. More info can be found on an extensive site called Weekend Freedom Machines.

I have owned two 316s over the years. I have never replaced one, I just finesse the arm.

Back