engine oil and drive oil help

Hi all,

I work in a small engine shop and we are looking to go with 55 gallon drums for our engine oil and our hydro drive oil. For the engine oil we are going with a 10w40 or 15w40 and the drives require 15w50 or 20w50. I am trying to find the happy medium between quality and price when it comes to the bulk product. We have amsoil and mfg oil in containers to carry out or if it is requested.

What brand would you recommend that slides into that " just right" spot??? I am not for or against conventional, syn blend or fully synthetic though i figure any quality fully synthetic oil will be higher in price by a fair margin.

Thank you for your help.

Randy

You will be fine with 15w40 for engine oil and 20w50 for hydrostatic oil. You can get by with conventional oils.
Check with your local lube and fuel jobbers for prices.

Last edited:
Hydrogear drives spec 20W-50.....some people succesfully use Mobil 1 15W-50. Factory fill is Castrol GTX 20W-50.....that 50W is the important part. I'm not sure I'd start improvising there, they are expensive and sensitive.

Engine wise - 15W-40 seems always solid for small engines as most is lawnmowers etc that dont get run when its too cold....

Generators - maybe 5W-40, but not sure I'd bother.

Perfect thank you for the help so far. does anyone recommend any brand over another? Part of me was thinking shell rotella t 15w40 and then they have formula shell 20w50 but im not very familiar with the formula shell. thoughts?

I like the deal on that delvac too! maybe walmart can get me a barrel???

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Hydrogear drives spec 20W-50.....some people succesfully use Mobil 1 15W-50. Factory fill is Castrol GTX 20W-50.....that 50W is the important part. I'm not sure I'd start improvising there, they are expensive and sensitive.

Engine wise - 15W-40 seems always solid for small engines as most is lawnmowers etc that dont get run when its too cold....

Generators - maybe 5W-40, but not sure I'd bother.

Do you know why they use 20w50 in the drives? Seems so heavy... is it for the heat or did they just design em all with that oil in mind?

its for the heat, they run hot and the oil thins out a lot.....I bet if 60W was available - they would have gone for it.

Originally Posted by theoctagon
Perfect thank you for the help so far. does anyone recommend any brand over another? Part of me was thinking shell rotella t 15w40 and then they have formula shell 20w50 but im not very familiar with the formula shell. thoughts?

Formula shell is a solid conventional 20W-50, just like all the others with the API certifications.
Rotella is also a solid oil, and can be had much more economically in 55gal form, but performance-wise - I am not sure if anyone could point out the difference between Rotella, Delvac, Delo or any other properly rated oil.....unless it was made in China with corn oil filler or something.

I was mainly thinking you could maybe get by with 2 drums of oil.....20W-50 of your choice and maybe 10W-30 of also your choice since in MN - although I'd pick 15W-40 HDEO for the engines just for price and availability.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by theoctagon

Formula shell is a solid conventional 20W-50, just like all the others with the API certifications.
Rotella is also a solid oil, and can be had much more economically in 55gal form, but performance-wise - I am not sure if anyone could point out the difference between Rotella, Delvac, Delo or any other properly rated oil.....unless it was made in China with corn oil filler or something.

I was mainly thinking you could maybe get by with 2 drums of oil.....20W-50 of your choice and maybe 10W-30 of also your choice since in MN - although I'd pick 15W-40 HDEO for the engines just for price and availability.

Sounds good i have a call in to see what it will cost. The 15w40 appears to be really easy to find the 20w50 maybe less so. Thank you for all your help.

Hydrogear actually approves half a dozen or so oils for their hydro units. I had the official list at one time, but couldn't find it now. It does list 20w50 dino oil and Mobil 1 15w50, along with at least one other M1 oil, and I can't remember the rest.

I would be concerned with additive separation and fall-out unless the 55 gal can be used up in >>2 years. The other option is to shake it-haha

Originally Posted by bchannell
Hydrogear actually approves half a dozen or so oils for their hydro units. I had the official list at one time, but couldn't find it now. It does list 20w50 dino oil and Mobil 1 15w50, along with at least one other M1 oil, and I can't remember the rest.

That is interesting i didnt know they had a list. I will give them a call tomorrow and see if i can get it.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I would be concerned with additive separation and fall-out unless the 55 gal can be used up in >>2 years. The other option is to shake it-haha

At the rate we are currently going we should use up a barrel each year so hopefully that wont be an issue. I had not thought of that though.

Originally Posted by bchannell

+1

I know Hydrogear specs 20w50 or synthetic 15w50. I would get 15w50 synthetic in bulk if you could, since I know Tuff Torq also changed their spec to a 15w50 synthetic for the heat, as their factory fill of 10w30 is known to break down over time. Castrol or Mobil 15w50 is what I put in Tuff Torque and Hydrogear units when they come through my shop.

Back