Is this engine sludged up or am I been ripped off?

He is absolutely trying to rob you of your hard earned money, like he does with all of his customers. That's just how some people are.

Do yourself a favor, and never use him again.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Very (and I mean very) light varnish--nothing there to be concerned about. Sludge is heavy and can be creamy goo or crusty baked on gunk.

These are sludged engines:

[Linked Image from images.matthewsvolvosite.com]

[Linked Image from blog.1aauto.com]

2015 PS that look like your Mercedes. See what happens when you Pennsoil
banana2.gif

I would be proud to call that engine mine. You've been ripped off. You need a new mechanic.
I agree with the majority here; and I don't group think or play well with others. By profession, I am Quality Control and paid for my opinion, but not on this site. Nevertheless, I speak my mind. I'm NOT familiar with the particulars of maintenance on your specific engine, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to call sludge/no sludge. Your engine internals look clean, perhaps even exemplary. Nothing wrong except your mechanic. The ONLY thing I might do different than you is I would print your pictures, show them to the mechanic who told you it was sludged and ask him what he has to say for himself? Preferably in front of other customers.

Sleep well tonight friend!!

Sleep well, my friend. Either your mechanic sees something none of us see or he needs glasses. It appears he is trying to take advantage of you. Has he been your mechanic for a long time?

If he is a mechanic you have used in the past and you have been treated fairly, and if I had the nerve, I would show him these pictures and ask him to show you what he is talking about. Not jumping down his throat. You may find there is more to the story. Probably not, but maybe. Give him a chance to explain.

Most of us are way to quick to drop the hammer on someone before we have ALL the facts. How many times have you been thankful you were shown mercy?

Wait til you get in your later years and you may understand.
05.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Very (and I mean very) light varnish--nothing there to be concerned about. Sludge is heavy and can be creamy goo or crusty baked on gunk.

These are sludged engines:

[Linked Image from images.matthewsvolvosite.com]

[Linked Image from blog.1aauto.com]

2015 PS that look like your Mercedes. See what happens when you Pennsoil
banana2.gif

Are you a rope?

I'm a frayed knot

crackmeup2.gif

First thing that occurs to me is how the mechanic came to that conclusion from just an oil / filter change ?

Having said , I did notice , the closer you got to the end of the engine , opposite the timing chain , the color seemed to get darker . Almost like the cam bearings were starting to produce heat ?

Any one else notice this ? If so , what do you think ?

Back