Is carnauba dead?

So in this ceramic age is anybody buying/using carnauba anymore? I have various forms still but with the ease of the ceramics I wonder what to do with them now. I wonder if the traditional products will die out.

I think carnuba will always have its uses. But it will slowly die out for the average detailing consumer. People in general are just too lazy to do what it takes to get carnuba to really pop.

The Griot's Garage 3 in 1 Ceramic wax contains carnauba. That's part of the secret to it's incredible shine. As ceramic's don't fill the little nooks and microscopic scratches. Carnauba does a really good job of that. So, not only is it not dead, it's in the best product available today.

"Clear View" is a plastic cleaner that I use on plastic aircraft/helicopter windows/windshields. It's secret is also carnauba wax that fills the micro scratches and results in very good optical quality.

Last edited:
Sure they do. People with show cars, absolute garage queens, and the "get off my lawn" types who don't think anything else could be better.

People still use aspirin, don't they, when acetaminophen and ibuprofen are better options in some respects?

Ponds, Jergens, and Noxema, brands your grandmother grew up with, are still sold.

It doesn't appear to me that the "ceramic" products (at least the consumer grade stuff, not the high $$ coatings) are appreciably better, except at being the latest fad, at least for the time being. Every year, the latest-and-greatest "it lasts a year!!" product comes out and…doesn't.

The cosmetics industry analogy wasn't chosen by accident.

Does the term "ceramic" mean anything in these current car car products?

Turtle wax has a new line where EVERYTHING has "ceramic" in the name. Car wash, glass cleaner, underarm deodorant etc.... Really? Ceramic?

Yes, it makes a difference ^^^

And yes, carnauba is definitely still a thing. I use Megs #26 on my Mustang as well as Mothers Carnauba too. The daily's get an Si02 spray sealant and touch ups after hand washes with Turtle Wax ICE spray wax. Great stuff!

There will always be a certain demand for carnauba wax, especially for older cars and show cars.

It should be noted that over the last few decades, wax has evolved. Most wax has polymers and oils to help with application. Those of us who remember the old Simoniz paste wax would agree that it was hard to apply and buff off, especially if you let it sit too long. Some of us used Johnson's Paste Wax as it didn't make sense to have two different wax products in the house.

Today's products are better than ever.

Originally Posted by PimTac
There will always be a certain demand for carnauba wax, especially for older cars and show cars.

It should be noted that over the last few decades, wax has evolved. Most wax has polymers and oils to help with application. Those of us who remember the old Simoniz paste wax would agree that it was hard to apply and buff off, especially if you let it sit too long. Some of us used Johnson's Paste Wax as it didn't make sense to have two different wax products in the house.

OMG, I hated using that stuff!!

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Originally Posted by PimTac

OMG, I hated using that stuff!!

I remember waxing my dad's Chevy with it. I waxed the entire car then went in to eat lunch. Afterwards it was all sweat as I tried to get that wax off. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted by spk2000
NuFinish still has quite a following after more than 40 years

Just did my 05 with it. And have a fresh bottle on the shelf as the one I used is almost gone. It works and it lasts.

And used NuVinyl on the trim and tires.

Finish Kare High Temp (1000 P) once a year. Meguiar's Xpress Spray Detailer once a month after a wash. The garage queen is experimenting with Turtle Wax Ice Spray and I'm impressed with the deep shine and longevity. Just bought another bottle from Amazon as they've been out of stock at my local Walmart. Wish it came in a gallon jug.

Last edited:
I have not experienced anything that beats Meguiar's 26's shine on my old bright red car. However this carnauba wax doesn't last long.

Back